Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Stoney ECDmeter

ok .. what else would people like to do with their toys. we have a bit of code space left.

heres a few plans i have..

1) make a version with the 2 connectors reversed so it can monitor chargers, alternatively make a male-male and a female-female readily available so the normal meter can do this.

2) at the least, provide a display of mAh on the LED display.

3) learn the ins and outs of an existing charger serial protocol and build it in, the imax B6 seems easy enough .. see http://blog.dest-unreach.be/2012/01/...rse-engineered but there us probably better ones.

using the above, i could produce charging curves for any existing charger and ecig combo. this would please my inner geek.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

v1.02 coded and a couple programmed ready for post tomorrow, first one to the UK.
    $27 postage, what a bloody rort.

anyway, added a lock function, leaving a jumper (them computer shorting link things) between tx and gnd now stops it from ever changing modes while present. so you can lock it on any mode you want.

help menu cleaned up.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

hmm, just got a message on ebay from SS600 .. seems his current is reading high.

I usually do a few tests as I build them, the last being a resistance check on a known atty with an ego battery. This checks out pretty much everything from connectors to all the critical resistors.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    hmm, just got a message on ebay from SS600 .. seems his current is reading high.

I usually do a few tests as I build them, the last being a resistance check on a known atty with an ego battery. This checks out pretty much everything from connectors to all the critical resistors.
    My one reads volts correctly but the resistance reading is stuck on 0.6 ohms even on an open circuit.
    The current and power is afffected accordingly.

Still happy with it though, can work the rest out from voltage anyway when R is known. I would pay $100 if it also had usb connections to monitor everything.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    ok .. what else would people like to do with their toys. we have a bit of code space left.

heres a few plans i have..

1) make a version with the 2 connectors reversed so it can monitor chargers, alternatively make a male-male and a female-female readily available so the normal meter can do this.

2) at the least, provide a display of mAh on the LED display.

3) learn the ins and outs of an existing charger serial protocol and build it in, the imax B6 seems easy enough .. see Long-term Memory Blog Archive iMax B6 charger protocol reverse engineered but there us probably better ones.

using the above, i could produce charging curves for any existing charger and ecig combo. this would please my inner geek.
    for 1), I'm not a technically inclined with electronics as you are but I am not understanding why it just cant be bidirectional.
    2) this will limit to 1 amp. No prob for ecigs but there are other applications here (bigger market)
    3) can you use a USB to UART bridge without an inbuilt power supply? Could it be powered by the USB side? If so, I can think of another ten applications for this. Also, trash any software that comes with hobby chargers and use Logview. This application is very versitile.

One application that I would really like is to measure and log is voltage. This would eliminate the shitty unavoidable voltage drops you get with all hobby chargers as it could be logged not in line with the current.

If it could have some sort of interchangeable connectors, I reckon you could have a big market.

thats just freaky ...
    so I assume the current is reading wrong, shunt must be ok or it would not fire through it.
    does the current vary ?
    to get a constant resistance, i think the voltage and current lines must be shorted.

Ok .. checked the pcb layout, thats not going to happen, so i think the internal analog multiplexer of the micro is dodgy in that one.

When you get a chance, send him back to me, i really need to get to the bottom of any hassles. will suss out whats going on and send him back.

Quote Originally Posted by supersports600 View Post
    for 1), I'm not a technically inclined with electronics as you are but I am not understanding why it just cant be bidirectional.
    2) this will limit to 1 amp. No prob for ecigs but there are other applications here (bigger market)
    3) can you use a USB to UART bridge without an inbuilt power supply? Could it be powered by the USB side? If so, I can think of another ten applications for this. Also, trash any software that comes with hobby chargers and use Logview. This application is very versitile.

One application that I would really like is to measure and log is voltage. This would eliminate the shitty unavoidable voltage drops you get with all hobby chargers as it could be logged not in line with the current.

If it could have some sort of interchangeable connectors, I reckon you could have a big market.

1) cause it measures the positive voltage across the shunt, the A/D converter does not work on negative voltages.
    2) I can add a decimal point .. so 0 to 999 then 1.00, 1.01 .. the serial output can provide full resolution.
    3) i was always talking about logview, thats what I use with my imax, copying the imax protocol means i have a meter that works with logview. there may be better protocols though, the imax one looks clunky and lores.
    the meter can be powered from the usb dongle now, it has a 3.3 and 5v output. it is not going to be required in a charger monitor as it can pick up power from the charger or the battery at all times.

not sure how huge the market is .. might be worth a redesign for different connectors, though, its pretty easy to solder chunky wires to the existing pads with the 510 connectors not installed.

AVF Regular
    yeah when applying i=v/r and p=v2/r the readings are correct when r always equals 0.6.
    but bacause of this, it is saying I'm vaping nearly 30 watts and several amps. I would call that smoking, not vaping
    I've just bought one on ebay. I don't want to be without one so I'll send it back when I get the one i've bought
    Last edited by supersports600; 24-08-12 at 02:49 AM. Reason: because of this inserted

lol, fair enough .. better list another one.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by supersports600 View Post
    I've just bought one on ebay. I don't want to be without one so I'll send it back when I get the one i've bought

If ever you needed a positive advertisement for the ECDMeter Stoney .. that would have to be it
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast