Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree371Likes

Thread: Stoney ECDmeter

Cool Stoney ECDmeter

started playing with the 7 segment displays last night, got side tracked and spent most of the evening trying to get a USB bootloader capable of encrytpted hex files working, be nice to be able to distribute new code to people without giving it to the world.
    not that easy though .. chip is stuck in extnded instruction set mode afterwards, no good for my needs.
    might come back to it and see if I can sort it..

knocked this test rig up last night, no good for actual voltage measurements yet, its the wrong chip type, this one has no onboard bandgap reference, useful to develop some seven segment routines though, i have not used a 7 segment display for 10 years or more.
    for any geeks .. notice no current limit resistors being used at all, just a test to see how everything will cope ..
    test routines show some static text with brightness varying, a stupidly quick scrolling alphabet, some silly non text graphic test an a quick counter etc..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0gL6AowKTI

decided to stick with my original pic 16 series chip instead of going for more pins or a more powerful chip, now need to order some shift registers though..
    Vinny likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

7 seg prototype etched and bandsawed.
    this is the intended schematic but using a DIL shift register as thats all I have in hand, also a single sided pcb instead of a dual.
    so its significantly larger than the final design will be,
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

partly assembled, the stuff under the display..

completed, no code for it yet though, but I can vape through it..

let the testing begin.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    started playing with the 7 segment displays last night, got side tracked and spent most of the evening trying to get a USB bootloader capable of encrytpted hex files working, be nice to be able to distribute new code to people without giving it to the world.
    not that easy though .. chip is stuck in extnded instruction set mode afterwards, no good for my needs.
    might come back to it and see if I can sort it..

knocked this test rig up last night, no good for actual voltage measurements yet, its the wrong chip type, this one has no onboard bandgap reference, useful to develop some seven segment routines though, i have not used a 7 segment display for 10 years or more.
    for any geeks .. notice no current limit resistors being used at all, just a test to see how everything will cope ..
    test routines show some static text with brightness varying, a stupidly quick scrolling alphabet, some silly non text graphic test an a quick counter etc..
    seven segment test - YouTube

decided to stick with my original pic 16 series chip instead of going for more pins or a more powerful chip, now need to order some shift registers though..
    not sure if it's secure enough for what you want but maybe password protected .rar's or .zip's ?
    could probably write it self extracting with the installer and a delete extracteg files routine built in
    just a thought
    D1g
    Last edited by D1git; 07-07-12 at 09:09 PM.
    Quit date : 10/5/2011

Looking good Stoney

Looking forward to the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by D1git View Post
    not sure if it's secure enough for what you want but maybe password protected .rar's or .zip's ?
    just a thought
    D1g
    The method I was talking about means that if somebody has one of my products, I can send them an encrypted file. they plug the device into USB, run the installer and it uses the encrypted file to upload. the end user never sees the unencrypted program.
    say i send the device to someone overseas, if I ever send an unencrypted update its a trivial matter to make exact copys of the device, the hard yards and tricks are in the code.
    The only way to allow this level of encryption requires a bootloader as its the only time the hex files can be used in an unreadable state.

its not really for this device by the way,its a simple solution to a problem I have had for many years.
    there isone serial bootloader that does this, its $2000 .. not everyone has a serial port, however a USB solution is wicked .. but remains wanting.

AVF Regular
    no probs bud, sorta thought that was where you were heading design wise.
    Just a thought as I know I miss some simple options when I'm head down in a complex problem and some kid walks up behind me looks over my shoulder and says "why dont you try doing this?" you don't know whether to hug em or knock em out
    cheers mate
    D1g

It all sounds good Stoney.

RC

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    its not really for this device by the way,its a simple solution to a problem I have had for many years.
    there isone serial bootloader that does this, its $2000 .. not everyone has a serial port, however a USB solution is wicked .. but remains wanting.
    I hear ya,
    poblem is USB standards are pretty slack and for critical ops like Flashing can be pretty devastating at times. 9 times out of 10 it's crappy cheap cables or USB keys that cause the problem.
    Main reason we still keep one or two models of PC/Notebooks that still have serial ports.
    Faster is not always better

Page 1 of 91 1231151 ... LastLast