Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Questions about wicks and wire

Questions about wicks and wire

I知 pretty keen to have a crack at building my own coils. I致e watched a bunch of youtube videos and I知 confident that it seems achievable however I知 not sure about what grade of wick or wire to use and what the differences are. At this stage I would just be rebuilding nova coils.

Wick what would the difference be between the 1mm and the 3mm for example. Sure, one is thicker, I get that. But what is the advantage of thicker or thinner wick material?

Wire There seems to be 3 gauges available from Vapeking. 28g, 30g & 32g. Is there a commonly used gauge for things like the Nova heads? From what I can gather the lighter gauge has less resistance per length, which I assume translates to the amount of times you wrap it around the wick?

Wraps I read lots of people using terms like a 4/5 wrap. Does this mean there are 4 complete wraps of the wick and the two half wrap ends make up the 5? Does that make sense?

Are there any beginners guides to coil construction that people would suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Dalmas, thicker wicks generally store more liquid, but might not always provide the best flavor, as the coil usually has to be "hot" enough to vaporise the liquid quickly enough. Personally, I prefer 3mm silica as I feel it's given me the best flavor to wicking speed ratio in an ody. Ive tried 2mm and I had to double the wick over itself in order to get any kind of performance from it.

For wires, just remember, its like a hose. Thicker/thinner hose (wire) = More/less water (electricity) flowing through it. More/less wraps of the hose (wire) = Longer/shorter distance for water (electricity) to travel.
    So if you are using a 30ga wire, which is around 28mm, you'd wrap it around 1 or 2 wraps less than you would with a 28ga wire, which is around 32mm thick to get around the same ohmage.

Btw feel free to stop reading if I'm boring you (I realised I went on for quite a bit heh heh)

FINALLY!! For wraps, you've pretty much got it, except that on one side of the wick, you can count 4 wraps and on the other side you can count 5 wraps. Just means that you've wrapped the wire all the way around near the end, hence that one more wrap on the other side. Hope I didn't confuse you. I'd upload a picture of my coils to demonstrate, but I'm currently sitting in a lecture. Sorry!!

Cheers mate, hope I was able to help a lil
    Dalmas likes this.

After plenty of trial and error, now using 28 gauge, with 4 strands of 1mm wick (4 wraps gets me around 1.8 ohm) and it goes as well as the original Vision heads (and better than most of the purchased replacement heads).

Pbusardo's tutorial is a 'how-to', although he only uses a single strand of thicker wick:

RIDING OLD SKOOL, davee and Dalmas like this.

Don’t worry misterlifter. I’m happy to read as much as people write. I find lengthy descriptions helpful.

So to give me an idea of sizes the 2.5ml Novas I have use a bunch of thin strands of wick rather than a single wick. Would that be 1mm wick? I find that these work great. What would the difference be between using a bunch of thin wicks over using a single 3mm wick ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalmas View Post
    So to give me an idea of sizes the 2.5ml Novas I have use a bunch of thin strands of wick rather than a single wick. Would that be 1mm wick? I find that these work great. What would the difference be between using a bunch of thin wicks over using a single 3mm wick ?
    Yep, multiple 1mm wick strands used in the current version genuine Vision Vivi Novas (mini & regular).

I'm sure there's a technical explanation as to why it works better (and others who'd disagree that it does, LOL) but I tried 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm (variously combined with 34, 32 & 30 gauge wire... different number of wraps) and didn't get the same consistency of flavour or flow.

Maybe it's as simple as multiple wicks can be in more places at the same time?

It's certainly easier to wrap a single big wick, but once I got a handle on the dexterity (make 2 loops, wind wire, then cut to size at the conclusion) it's been a breeze.

There's quite a few threads here about the replacement heads being substandard, compared to those supplied with the kit... hence the quest for a decent re-wick.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesy View Post
    Yep, multiple 1mm wick strands used in the current version genuine Vision Vivi Novas (mini & regular).

I'm sure there's a technical explanation as to why it works better (and others who'd disagree that it does, LOL) but I tried 2mm, 2.5mm and 3mm (variously combined with 34, 32 & 30 gauge wire... different number of wraps) and didn't get the same consistency of flavour or flow.

Maybe it's as simple as multiple wicks can be in more places at the same time?

It's certainly easier to wrap a single big wick, but once I got a handle on the dexterity (make 2 loops, wind wire, then cut to size at the conclusion) it's been a breeze.

There's quite a few threads here about the replacement heads being substandard, compared to those supplied with the kit... hence the quest for a decent re-wick.
    1x 3 wick has 9 "units*" of volume, 9x 1 wick has 9 "units*" of volume but has 3x the surface area The more surface area, the faster it can suck liquid into the wick. The more volume held in the wick, the hotter (or longer) you can vape it.

* Each unit is 0.7854mmイ x the length of the wick.
    brookesy likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

J can do long answers

I seem to prefer the thicker wicks over multiple small wicks .. this is not in novas but in either phoenix rba or currently aga-t with silica installed (no mesh)

theres a lot more to it to get it spot on ..
    you need to think about the length of wire required to make a turn, its heating up the wick volume under it and a little to either side,

lets take a 1mm and a 3mm wick comparison..

a 3mm wick has 3 times the surface area in contact with a loop of wire than what a 1mm would. the formula is π * d so 1mm wick = 3.1mm contact (roughly) 3mm = 9.3mm contact

it is attempting to heat at least 9 times the wick volume .. the area under the loop, π*r^2
    1mm wick = 0.78 sq mm
    3mm wick = 7.02 sq mm

so ideally you want 3 times the power in each loop of a 3mm wick to get the same results as a 1mm wick.

to get more power .. with a VV device like a provari, you turn up the voltage and thus increase the current, you also wind less turns on a thicker wick or the resistance gets too high.

more power means more current, so generally, you need to either go to a thicker wire to cope also, this means the resistance has again dropped and since power is i^2 * r then even at the same current, a thicker wire will generate less heat for that same single turn of wire.

its a balancing act and swapping from one wick to another can't be done and compared properly without considering whats going on.

My favourite wicks ..
    6.5 turns of 34 gauge on 4 * 1mm wicks, very close wind, came in at 2Ω i think, forgot the voltage that one ran at.
    4.5 turns of 34 gauge on a 3mm wick. comes in at 2.2Ω or so and I run it around the 3.7v mark. (phoenix)
    5.5 turns of 32 gauge on a 3.5mm wick, comes in at 2.9Ω (i think) and i run it around the 4.8v mark (aga-t)

now if you don't have a VV device like a provari then you need to wind for the voltage and current capabilitys of the device you are using.
    stock ego .. suggest it will not have the power capabilitys for a larger wick, so stick with multiple small wicks, enough turns of a wire gauge to get the resistance up enough for an ego to handle, suggest something like 5.5 turns of 34 gauge.

if you had an ego twist .. then the higher voltage but less current capability .. go for another turn .. 6.5 or even 7.5 to bring the current down but resistance and power up, this would need to be tightly wound ideally or the lower current is not going to heat it all.

for a battery mod, then I would run a thicker wire for the heater and more turns.

for me it seems the best wire gauges are 32 for thick silica wicks, 34 for thinner silcica wicks, I would guess 28 and 30 for mesh wicks but I have neither of those gauges so have used twisted 36 or 34 at times or stick with the 32.
    gtadmin, brookesy and Dalmas like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

bloody gt posted while I was typing .. again, we are on the same page
    gtadmin likes this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    bloody gt posted while I was typing .. again, we are on the same page

But you rightly addressed the power side of it too ...
    Last edited by gtadmin; 13-03-13 at 05:56 PM.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    1x 3 wick has 9 "units*" of volume, 9x 1 wick has 9 "units*" of volume but has 3x the surface area The more surface area, the faster it can suck liquid into the wick. The more volume held in the wick, the hotter (or longer) you can vape it.

* Each unit is 0.7854mmイ x the length of the wick.
    Muchas gracias, GT... I knew there'd be a technical explanation

Best I could think of was: the same reason that french fries have a higher fat content than fat chips... but that didn't sound too convincing.
    gtadmin and DocM like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast