Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Stainless steel wicks for beginners: help needed

Stainless steel wicks for beginners: help needed

A friend gave me an Aga t, some mesh and a little bit of Kanthal. He said they are meant to be amazing but in the end he couldn't be bothered with the setup.

I thought I would give it a go this evening. I watched some videos on how to oxidise a wick and then found Noe's thread on his wick setup with the ((w)) wrap. I thought "He sounds like he noes his shit", and tried it out. Wrapping it seemed easy enough. Went through the oxidising process, blahh blah. It seemed to fit in the hole on the Aga t nicely but I never did get to the gladwrap bit. Made a coil using the method in Noe's thread. First one had too many coils I assume and only glowed at the top part. Threw it away and made another with one less wrap. Tried it and it glowed even! Put the wick in but this is where the problems began. The coil glowed realy hot at the top for one coil then stopped. Upon closer inspection I noticed it had broken. Tried three more times making coils but kept producing the same problem before I gave up.

I hate being beaten. What am I doing wrong? Have I stuffed up the oxidising part? Should I have taken the time to make the glad wrap bit?

Would appreciate ANY tips on how to master this art.

AVF Regular
    After you make your coil. The top one will always for me anyway glow red. Don't go nuts on the button it will just make it pop. Get a flat head screwdriver and adjust the coils moving them around slightly and pulsing the battery to check. If you keep playing with them you will get them all glowing evenly. Then fill with juice and done.
    There's a good video from zen that shows it well.
    Sent from my 101T using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by arth_d; 17-03-13 at 09:47 PM.
    Mushman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Just a slight budge of the wick or coil is all that is needed. That hotspot up the top is a short, that's why the other wraps dont glow and a simple nudge of even 0.1mm is enough to sort it out. Genesis atomisers aren't easy, they take practice. The AGA-T is a little harder too as there's so much space between the wick and the centre post. It's really hard to remove that hotspot.

(*Susceptible to sloppy moderation)

Trial and error mate, join the club

Only just starting to get these right and there are many ways.

If if glows at the top, then bend the wick closer after loosening the nut, then check the resistance as it can change just as shifting the coils more evenly spaced all around.

Pulse the coil with a Mechanical RAW power mod a few times as you adjust things provided the resistance is within range.Drip some VG when it looks good and see how it performs without the cap on.

Basically I had very little help with mine but I'm a stubborn arse and just completed a Cyclone wick and wire....stoked!!

Arthy can you give a link for that tutorial mate?

Also we should sticky the google docs page for mesh(will dig it up for ya as I don't think I can put another link in my sig).

Keep at it mate 'cause if you're using VV/VW then 1.5- 1.8 Ohms makes these shine with flavour and TH.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Why did the coils keep breaking? Is the coil meant to contact the wick? If so why not just wind the coil onto the wick?

I'm not sure I understand the SS wick theory just yet to be honest. But I'm a stubborn bastard. I won't rest till I understand it.
    Mushman and Tek like this.

I think this is the video.
    Mushman likes this.

You live close and I'm only a PM away. I am in Wanni regularly if you need help.

AVF Regular
    Yes, the coil needs to be in contact with the wick and yes, it is wound onto it, if the coil isn't contacting the wick it can't heat it. Any of the ss wick videos will show you how it's done, I'd watch several as people have different methods to achieve the same result. Keep with it the reward is worth it.
    Mushman likes this.
    "Morituri nolumus morti" We who are about to die DON'T WANT TO!
    "Carpe fermentum!" Seize the beer!

Cheers vapourize, might take you up on that offer if I can't nail this in the next few days.

@ Gunslinger - Some of the videos I watched had people winding the coil onto drill bits and other stuff that was the same dimension as the wick hole. Why bother with that if you can wind it directly on to the wick?

Another question to anyone that wants to answer.... I've read here that folks oxidise their mesh before they roll it but on the videos I watched they were just rolling it and doing the 3 burn oxidising and juice burning afterwards. Whats the best way to do this?
    Last edited by Dalmas; 18-03-13 at 12:14 AM. Reason: stupid grammar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast