Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: WTF!!! Cant build a wick on the A8 for $%#T

AVF Regular

WTF!!! Cant build a wick on the A8 for $%#T

I have researched... Lord have i researched but i cant make a decent bloody wick on this thing. The ones it comes with are ok to use but i want more and i thought i could achieve that i mean come on its just some bloody wire wrapped around some string, but ow no 12 years of schooling 2 years at tafe and 2 years at university could not prepare me for this. I have 32 gauge wire and i have tried some thinner stuff. I have 1mm and 3mm (something like that) wick. I have tried 3 wraps 4 wraps 5 wraps. 3 wicks 2 wicks 1 wick, 1 wick with some wick on it and i just cant seem to get anything that i can vape. It is sitting on a provari and usually the ohms is around 1-1.8 for all of the shitty wicks i have made. Please someone help.

dry burn the hell out of it as soon as its finished .. before adding juice
    then give it a few hours before wicking starts to work well.

I would try 4 wraps of the 34 gauge (if you have it) fairly tight on a single 3mm wick and each turn as close as you can get without touching the next.
    do not fill the tank to the brim either, if it is too wet it will suck.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Thanks Stoney. Do not have 34. Will try it anyway. When you say burn the hell out of it is that just pulsing a few times or really holding on to that button?

really holding it on. i get a good orange glow going till cutoff on provari at least 3 to 5 times.
    trying to get the wick to get full orange under the heater..
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

get the ohms up a bit too .. v1 or v2 provari ?
    you really want to be 2.5Ω or so .. then you can get a higher wattage, you want it in a small area though ... hence thinner wire works better with silica imo.
    I think with silica you are only heating a small area a lot and need good wicking to that area, with mesh its heating a larger volume .. but less heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    get the ohms up a bit too .. v1 or v2 provari ?
    you really want to be 2.5Ω or so .. then you can get a higher wattage, you want it in a small area though ... hence thinner wire works better with silica imo.
    I think with silica you are only heating a small area a lot and need good wicking to that area, with mesh its heating a larger volume .. but less heat.
    How do you mean higher wattage? Maximum voltage on a Provari is 6v. At 2.5 ohms & 6V max wattage is only 14.4 W. You will get 16W with a 1 ohm coil at 4V. Though that may be a little high for the Pro.

EDIT: No just checked. I have a 1.4 ohm coil in a Genesis and it vapes nicely on a Pro (V2) at 4.7V (16W).
    Last edited by second_chance; 29-03-13 at 06:08 PM.

AVF Regular
    I have a v2 provari. Made it up and heating it now. Glowing red hot. I can smell that shit that is making my juice taste like crap. Can i put juice on it now or do i wait? Got this one up to a 2.9 ( first time i dont know how possibly due to closer wrap?)

you wont get 16W ever from a provari .. the V2 limit is 3.5A and the V1 limit is 2.5A

though the v1 can provide that current at all voltages and the v2 limits the current more as the voltage goes up .. from memory at 6v its limited to 2A or similar, the v1 will provide a slightly higher wattage at the higher voltages.

I am just basing it more on my experience of owning a few provaris for a few years, it seems a lot less problematic to use with coils over 2Ω than those less than 2, far less E1,E2,E4,E8 errors and it will run the battery down quite a bit more.
    second_chance likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    I have a v2 provari. Made it up and heating it now. Glowing red hot. I can smell that shit that is making my juice taste like crap. Can i put juice on it now or do i wait? Got this one up to a 2.9 ( first time i dont know how possibly due to closer wrap?)
    yeh sure, i meant it takes a few hours of actual use before they start to wick well .. good to get rid of that crap first off, I think its the kanthal bedding in, it does taste like crap though.
    davee likes this.

AVF Regular
    Ok i dont know what i did wrong but its on fire now
    Dalmas likes this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast