Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Evic tech evaluation

ok, downloaded the OSX software for it .. it made me reboot afterwards, lol, bit rude, mac had not been rebooted for a month or so, so fair enough.

rambling from here .. was using this to take notes

TLDR; evic is ok

set a VVW profile just for lols, 8W for 0.7 seconds (preheating) 6W for 2 seconds .. (vaping) then 8W for another 6 seconds ..
    not the best atty for it as it sucks up watts as it stands, might try a 306 later.

whacked it on the ECD meter, it told me some fibs, so I turned evic off and back on again to make sure it reread the atty.

its pretty close but it still fibs a bit.
    ECD says 5.4W and evic says 6W

now ECD is also 'fibbing' since thats atty power only, I think I might change the ECD code to include the wattage in the meter as well, which in this case would be an additional 0.16W (1.23A^2 * 2.4Ω) so its really 5.6W to one digit. call it a pass, whats 0.4W in the scheme of things.

evic says 6W will be 3.79v .. ECD meter says its putting out 3.70V .. will call it a pass
    interestingly if it did put out 3.79v then the atty wattage would be 5.98W at 2.4Ω. so it looks like they use a rounded atomiser resistance downwards by 0.1Ω and the voltage is calculated .. but not entirely accurate in operation.

evic says atty is 2.4Ω and ECD says its 2.40 but need to add ECD extra 0.08Ω so 2.48 .. pass to correct digit but a rounding error, all good.

ECD says at 6W we are putting out around 1.45A

lets crank him up ..

7W 4.09v displayed on evic .. actual 4.0v roughly, its jumping around a lot on the ECD (3.7 to 4.2), likely not clean DC, took a pic on scope .. will upload next post on ipad. from the scope, it says rms is 4.06, pretty good. I can see some ECD upgrades a comin. It was not made for these types of noisy signals. power readings on ECD i saw fluctuate from 5.6W all the way to 7.2W, most often 6.5ish ... hmm, ECD needs work.

set evic to 10.4W ..
    using a AW imr that it says is 84% .. ECD stable(ish) on 9.6W current 1.98A voltage 4.92v
    using supplied pink bat at 40% ECD says (stable) 8.7W current 1.86A and voltage 4.70v

So the evic does tell fibs at high power when the battery is low.

left on 10.4W and using my trusty ECD test load of 2Ω exactly .. evic picked up load change, i like.
    says it will run at 4.56V .. ECD say 4.34v 8.91W 2.08A

cranked evic to 11W .. it says 4.69v .. ECD says 4.30v 8.88W 2.05A

so more evic fibs, no change from 10.4W to 11W
    changed back to the more charged battery ..

set to 11W .. more flicker in the readings now, must be switching more, 4.45V, starts at 9.8W but sags quickly on ECD to 9.3W or so, 2.17A

I had a look on the scope over a few seconds, it starts of noisy then settles down, interesting but it throws out ECD readings.

Seems it gets a little confused with resistances under 1.5Ω and also having unexpected shorts eg .. shorting out some of my wire till it was 1.1Ω and managed to get 2.75A out of it, went down to about 1Ω and it would display fairly accurately, but then come up with atomiser short, into 1.1Ω on a properly detected atty, setting it to 6W and it was putting out 7.7W.

So overall, its capable of fibs and getting a little confused with attys, current limit seems to be 2.5A in software but hardware is capable of more.

Used with a charged battery and with normal ohmages, I have no doubt its pretty accurate, let the battery run down or low ohms and you need to take it with a grain of salt..

I like it, it makes my inner geek go 'oooo'

and for what I wanted it for, a rock solid device thats noisy .. its ideal for a test device for possible ECD code changes.
    Fatman and xen like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

scope pic from previous post..

In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

I just did some battery current tests remembering current bugs they mentioned a while ago.
    unit draws about 20mA with the display on .. dropping to 18mA when display turns off, conclusion .. may as well have the display on.

Sleep mode 0.2mA
    Off mode 0.2mA

so about four days (give or take) battery life when left on.
    100 times that in off or standby, should be good for a year before having to charge the battery.
    Fatman likes this.

Thats pretty good news!

Lets hope the devices can last a year lol

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I just did some battery current tests remembering current bugs they mentioned a while ago.
    unit draws about 20mA with the display on
    does this change depending on the amp ? I found low resistance sucking the battery much faster

huh, of course it does. the figures i mention are only if you are not pressing the button.
    silverx likes this.

Stoney is that with the unit apart on a test rig or with ECD attached to full e-cig. The reason I ask is that I had one recently that the user had managed to pull the top cap off of and to be honest the wires that are in it do not look anywhere near up to the job that they are being asked to do. I'd love to have changed the wires out for something a bit more heavy duty but I didn't have chance to take the unit fully apart to do so.

I wonder if uprating the wire would have any effect on the stability and accuracy of the unit

measured with ECD, to be honest, people put a bit too much importance on thick wires at times.
    its a variable wattage mod, if not enough vape .. turn it up, the only time a wire makes any difference is when its absolutely flat out and you are losing 0.05W in a wire and 12W into an atty.
    Stick a thick wire in and lose only 0.01W in the wire.
    Lot of effort for little return.
    When I see discussions of body materials being ideal for conduction, I sigh.
    bear in mind you already have a cross section thicker than any mains cable, losses are in the battery itself, poor switching, connectors. Most of the rest is hype to sell more mods.
    davee and xen like this.

Very true Stoney - However when the wires inside are the same size as eGo ones it leads to them being completely unimpressive. I'm honestly surprised they didn't use anything just a slight bit more worthy of carrying the current

the evic remaining puff counter us not quite as smart as it appears.
    for each puff I have which is typically 7 seconds at the moment, the puff counter increments by one, the remaining puff counter however decrements by 2.

The device does not log time per puff or even have an average puff time on the MVR software, I suspect the counter works on how many 3 second puffs at the power selected are remaining, not the users puff length.

since mine are currently double that, i need to divide remaining puffs by 2 to get an estimation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast