Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Hot wrapping

Hot wrapping

After getting a bit frustrated trying to wind good tight coils on silica I figured that wrapping a heater with red hot kanthal would be the way to go.
    Anybody seen a thread on it anywhere or know a good technique.

I had a play tonight with an imr in a battery holder, brass rods, weights, aligator clips .. only burnt a finger once. most impressed.

wrapping a 5 turn 32 gauge on a 2mm? wick (1.4Ω) worked pretty well, all the kinks gone, I even wound and unwound it a few times, it acts more like cotton than wire. atty is working well .. I want more.

but damn, its awkward. I was thinking surely someones perfected this ??

if only someone would make an atty tester capable of injecting a constant current, that would help a lot .. oh wait
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    not for silica stoney but you may be able to convert this to silica.
    Mickg33, mathsguy and bugzme like this.
    RIP VP

interesting, considered some sort of spacing arrangement like the bolt, but then decided KISS works just fine, I don't want to production line em.

there is little need to get it spot on first go as you can unwind as easily or simply power it up on the wrapper and nudge coild to your hearts content.

I did not wrap very tight at all, yet the coil does not slide on the silica.

I think its the way to go and suspect its how the factorys wind their tiny wicks.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Now your talking, something like this ability combined in your atty checker would make it the ultimate rebuildable accessory.
    Ravenscroft and Bullos like this.
    "Morituri nolumus morti" We who are about to die DON'T WANT TO!
    "Carpe fermentum!" Seize the beer!

ok, i think i got a concept down though using what i learnt

the 'wheel' has a brass tube in the centre that sits over a smaller tube enbedded in the lhs holder.
    so it can spin or slide up and down.
    a small spool of heater held on the back of the wheel. the wick held between two clamps at either end of the holder,
    a method of tensioning the wire accurately would be good..

AVF Regular
    Looks suspiciously like the Gruffy Co Subluminal Spiralator. The plot looks solid.
    Youtube soon?

AVF Regular
    I was thinking of a similar design having the wick tube threaded and the -ve end of the wire jammed in with the wick. The wire spool would be mounted at the side, then as you turned the wheel it would space the wire as it wrapped. The +ve -ve leads from the battery could be alligator clips patched through a switch (button) so it only powered when you pressed it, that would give you control over the heating and make life easier.

Looks suspiciously like the Gruffy Co Subluminal Spiralator. The plot looks solid.
    Youtube soon?
    you show me yours, i show you mine .. thats the deal

@GS
    after having a bit of a play the other night, its not that hard to space it as required and a lot easier while heated to nudge it anyway, so adding a spacing setup adds complexity and removes options in reality.

i will be running it off a desktop power supply with CC and CV controls, so no matter how much wire, constant glow.
    no real need for a separate switch, it can stay powered up pretty much indefinitely.

left bracket and wheel with magnetic spool holder ..

wire feed tube is guts of a clearo. finally one is useful..

Bullos and MrGruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    Fair enough but I don't have your electrical skills and was looking at how I would make one. if you are controlling the wire temp then I agree there is no need for a switch Looking at the pieces you've fabricated I'll be interested to see how it turns out. Are you considering adding this to your atty checker and maybe doing the components as an extra?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast