Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Hand cranked Vaping

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Hand cranked Vaping

Hi People

A good while back, back in the dark ages of Vaping, somebody mentioned the possibility of converting one of the dynamo hand cranked flashlights and using it as a as a PV.

The idea was kicked around for a while and eventually lost momentum.

Now before I go any further I will say that this project has no intrinsic value to the community. Itís a total waste of time, and is not in the least practical. The only reason for doing this is to give it a go, and see. There are a couple of benefits that I can see, but more on that later.

Well, I have resurrected the idea because Crazy Clarks were selling them off for under five bucks, and I cant go past a bargain!! These things will save the world after the apocalypse. It has a radio, three led flashlight, and is hand cranked to charge it. If you believe the blurb, its good for thirty minutes for twenty seconds of cranking.

Anyway, an autopsy soon discovered that the Lithium battery was way to small to be of any practical use. Good for the radio and light, but zero use for firing up an attie. A heart transplant was in order. The original battery is the small yellow coin like thing. Its unmarked but guessing around 50ma.

As it happens I already have a couple of new hearts ready to go. Ipod Nano 400ma batteries, ex Jaycar on special at eight bucks each.

The case needed a little surgery to make space, but managed it with a little help from the dremmel clone, and the glue gun. It was of vital importance to retain the functionality of the flash light and the radio, cos you will need these in the aftermath of WW3, or even a power cut. (which is a more likely scenario)

Each step will be a separate post due to the five pic limit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    qwertylesh, Noe, Mickg33 and 14 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Ok, removed one of the LEDís to accommodate the 510 battery connection from the circuit board, then drilled the board. Drilling ruined the copper tracks, and they will have to be repaired by bridging with wire. I could leave them, but then the candles wonít work. Which is not good?? Hopefully the removed LED will be used for the push button to fire the thing. I will be using the eGo switch set, as I have to waste them somewhere.
    qwertylesh, MrGruffy and deaver like this.

AVF Regular
    This is the reworked eGo switch using the removed LED as the push button. It wont mean much to sensible people, but to a few of us (mrg?) it will make sense. Main thing is to anchor the original wires to the board with hot melt glue and then add the tails. Use the glue before the wires break cos they are a bastard to solder back.
    qwertylesh, MrGruffy and deaver like this.

AVF Regular
    waiting for next installment. this is fascinating
    qwertylesh likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    waiting for next installment. this is fascinating

Coming soon to a computer near you!!! Just waiting for the 5min epoxy to dry. Been twenty minutes so for??
    qwertylesh and deaver like this.

AVF Regular
    lol. sue 'em for false advertising. i think a hand cranked ecig battery is an absolutely brilliant idea. when we had that huge storm last year and the power was out for days ... if it happened again and i couldn't charge my batts, i'd be back on the durries, but not if i had a hand cranked batt

Legend has it Robray once constructed a 650mAh battery using only tinfoil, dust bunnies and table salt. Or was it Mr.G? If these two gentlemen got together, I believe they could develop a perpetual motion machine from the contents of a Hungry Jacks bin.
    Stoney, qwertylesh, Noe and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    blankedouttenchar
    Last edited by qwertylesh; 01-09-13 at 03:02 AM.

AVF Regular
    I didnít have enough room to mount the switch where I intended in the lens cover, so it had to go down in the main body. Just had to take care with the longer wires that they were clear of the cranking gears, so cant get chewed up. Keep the wires in position with the hot melt stuff. I donít feel bad using this stuff as even the Chinese build their mods with it!!
    MrGruffy and deaver like this.

AVF Regular
    Ok, the 510 connection has been epoxyíd in place on the LED circuit board. The board was then fitted into the housing, and then the clear lens fitted. One big mistake I made was not testing the lights before fixing everything. Never mind, she will be right!!!

I just need to sort out the correct wires to connect now. Of course I never marked anything. Itís a male thing!!
    deaver likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast