Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Kanger protank rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Very nice words and pics Mathsguy.
    Do you prepare the wires beforehand, such as cleaning of any oxide or application of acid or flux?
    Thanks Mr G, I have been thinking about a suitable flux (for vaping safely) - I guess citric acid maybe.

I just pull the wire through some dry tissue to clean and make sure my hands are clean. About 10% fail the stringent quality audit (a good yank) and I put that down to my novice status, but if you have wisdom I’m all eyes.

This is the video I was watching ... the wire-knotting bit starts about 2 minutes in ...
    If you can't get there by a comfortable road, don't go.

We were just talking about The Driver just before
    Last edited by neofelis; 01-05-13 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eGoManiac View Post
    This is the video I was watching ... the wire-knotting bit starts about 2 minutes in ...
    Yeah that could well be a reef knot (what you guys call a square knot I think). I tried it, and it worked.... ish. I then tried a sheet bend (which is almost the same, but better if your ropes are not the same diameter and/or material), and it worked much better woo hoo!

Blue = R wire, Red = NR wire

OK, you don’t ‘tie’ the knot, you fold a J ( keep radius pretty small) with the R wire, then put your pigtail loop in the NR (I used nickel for this). Run the NR loop up over both bits of the J and insert the standing part of the NR into the 'J hole’ now formed - make sure the tail of your pig tail is going to get pinched between the standing part and the J - then pull up tight. Easy does it though as you tighten - the nickel is a bit snappy - especially at the stress points, that’s why starting with small radii helps.

If you give the tails a fold so they lay 180 from where they come out in the pic, your knot will be more secure. Trim then squish up with some pliers and you are sweet as a nut.

Good for tight spaces - about the same size as the silver blob, and if you only have nickel and no welder - always good to have options.

Cheers EM.
    eGoManiac likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123