Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree106Likes

Thread: Something sensible for a change. Vamo Boxmod

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Something sensible for a change. Vamo Boxmod

Hi People

Had some bits and pieces delivered from China, and among then were some Vamo v2 boards. I bought them for a look see, as they held promise for doing silly things, for which I am occasionally guilty of.

I have decided to build a traditional box mod with a big silver (Chrome) firing button. More for my benefit with less chance of forgetting which button to press. Getting away from the novelty type vape mods for the time being.

Had a look around for bits to make a house for the board, and came across a few plastic welders hood lenseís. The clear type, and the not so clear. Just had to buy a bit of 20mm x 8mm wood and we were good to go. This way you can see all the moving parts. Might be interested to some??

This project is not intended to be pretty, but it will be functional. As I donít have any battery springs, I might hard wire the batteryís, as I have a usb charger somewhere that could be used. Doing it this way, I donít have to make the case with a removable door. I can just nail it shut, and just plug in the charger.

Had to break out the miter thing. Butt joints donít look good. Hope I still have some sticky stuff or might have to nail it together. The size is in the right time zone, but have a feeling that the sander will have to come out and play. Cant find any clamps. Rubber band will have to do.

All glued and not looking that bad. Hope it stays together when I start drilling it. My wood work was never going to win me any brownie points!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    shipo, Mushman, margyb and 11 others like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Preparing the circuit board.

Needs a little work. The brass contact sticking down needs to be removed and replaced with a wire. The firing switch (the big one) needs to be removed or bypassed. Decided to bypass it with jumper leads which will allow me to use my big silver (Chrome) firing button The small buttons are a problem? I am not adept enough to remove them, and my hands are too shaky to attempt to solder bypass wires. Just too small for my old eyes. I will leave them functional, and maybe do the adjustments with a pokey thing through a couple of holes. This is an image of the tack switch with the bypass connections. Also at the same time I extended the atty connection wires

Just a word to the wise. Where possible, test the set up after each couple of solder joints. A dry (bad) joint will eat your lunch further down the track.
    shipo, Mushman, gtadmin and 3 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Nothing wrong with your woodworking skills that I can see Rob Looks good mate ...
    Robray likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Nothing wrong with your woodworking skills that I can see Rob Looks good mate ...

You can cover up a multitude of sins with the right glue!!!
    shipo, Mushman and gtadmin like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Robray View Post
    You can cover up a multitude of sins with the right glue!!!
    ... and bad eyesight

Are you going to stain it? If so, reinforcing the joints with dowelling, sanded down and cleaned up with a bit of wood putty works well.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    ... and bad eyesight

Are you going to stain it? If so, reinforcing the joints with dowelling, sanded down and cleaned up with a bit of wood putty works well.

Cant decide about staining?? As already mentioned, its not intended to be pretty. At this stage I am just aiming at functionality. Anybody else following this might have a different Idea, and make a real pretty one!!!

This looks great..

Just a curiosity, where did you get the vamo boards from?
    Mines a lil dodgy, and it would be a quick fix for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    Sod it, time to buy some chickens, pack the cat and move to an island.
    http://southanstreetorganics.wordpress.com/

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_A View Post
    This looks great..

Just a curiosity, where did you get the vamo boards from?
    Mines a lil dodgy, and it would be a quick fix for mine.

Believe me, you are as well buying a new Vamo. They are as cheap as the board. I received mine as a favor from a supplier in China.

AVF Regular
    At this point I am not sure what battery to use. I still have a couple of Ipod and camera batteries that I might be able to use, but not sure if they will be viable with the current draw from the Vamo board.

I have just had a read of the idiot sheet, and it looks like I have to get hold of some unprotected batteries as the board will draw in excess of 2.5, amp, which is the cut off point for protected cells. Might have a trip to the model shop and look for some high drain flat cells.

I have just opened the spare part stash, and found four IMR x 18350 x 900mah. Downside is they only just fit in the box cross wise, which leaves zero room for the contact wires or springs. Reason for cross wise is I made the box to small to fit them side by side, as I intended using phone or Ipod batteries.

Rather that stack the batteries, I am going to run two in parallel, so should give me 1800mah. I have connected and soldered them together using some brass shim stock.
    shipo, Mushman, Fatman and 2 others like this.

Haven't you finished it yet?
    shipo and Mushman like this.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast