Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By bobbavet
  • 1 Post By gtadmin
  • 1 Post By gtadmin

Thread: Making coils using bolt

AVF Regular

Making coils using bolt

Gday Guys

Came across something I have not seen before, so sorry if it has been posted.

Doing my first serious geni build on the RSST. Came across this "hillbilly" vid on using a 2.5/3mm bolt to make coils.

Anneald the wire, wrapped and hey presto. One coil. Just gently twisted the wick into the coil. Working a treat.

COILS.jpg

cheers Bob
    bevoh, RichoVonBlack and lheamfrg like this.

Super Moderator
    Works a treat, doesn't it Bob I've been using a small metal thread to wrap on whenever I use a gennie and round wire. Doesn't work with my ribbon though
    bobbavet likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Works a treat, doesn't it Bob I've been using a small metal thread to wrap on whenever I use a gennie and round wire. Doesn't work with my ribbon though
    Yeh, I was really suprised I hadn't come across it mentioned here or ECF.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbavet View Post
    Yeh, I was really suprised I hadn't come across it mentioned here or ECF.
    It has been, I mentioned it, so did Noe. It was also on ECF 8(?) months ago or so, maybe longer ... The best thing is that the coils are evenly spaced which doesn't always happen if you use a drill.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I've used the PetarK method which is similar, but just uses the untapped end of a small drill bit. The two troubles I had with this method using mesh were that the drill bit dictated my mesh size (which left it a fraction narrow in my RBA), and that the mesh has to be rolled to a very exact diameter, otherwise it's liable to get hotspots and/or produce sub-optimal vapour.

Here's Todd giving a demonstration.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    GT, if your ribbon problem is the cross sectional shape of the thread, whatever that is called, I found a little work with jewellers files helps nicely to fit the width of the ribbon so it fits snugly. Problem being, of course, fat ribbon and skinny pitches. Reckon there's a market for a generous spirit to turn up some custom threads with varying pitches, profiles and diamaters?

WTF Font randomisation?

Super Moderator
    No problem wrapping the ribbon without an aid ... it's the best thing since sliced bread. Even got it in my A7 ... just real easy
    MrGruffy likes this.