Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Stoney

Thread: To all the Guru's of Modding!!!

AVF Regular

To all the Guru's of Modding!!!

I have been thinking about this for a while, the issue of voltage drop in mechanical mods under load and the fixes for it. However in thinking this through I looked at application and what people may be doing inadvertently to overcome the issue.

I see a lot of people building low ohm coils, in theory on a mod with up to 1v drop on load it still should vape well given its not shorted and is wicked correctly. Is this correct?

If you built a 2.5 - 3 ohm coil or used a SR carto you would notice a signicant difference in a mod not conducting well vs a low loss Mod. Is this a correct assumption?

Lastly I know and have been advised on how to improve performance on a couple of mods I have coming, however I am curious as to other methods. Plating components, if I was to get a part plated say in jewler hardness gold am I going to see benefits in the mod, I have read talk of silver plating etc, is this a viable option cost aside. I ask this as I am toying with the idea of getting a plating kit, and doing it myself and considering the likely amount of items I will end up having, if I can produce a comparable or better result than just looking for upgrade components in the long run I will spend less than the cost of postage etc for small items.

Comments and advice more than welcome.

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

I see a lot of people building low ohm coils, in theory on a mod with up to 1v drop on load it still should vape well given its not shorted and is wicked correctly. Is this correct?
    not really, low ohms means high current, losses in mod proportional to current. so a low Ω coil exacerbates the problem.

If you built a 2.5 - 3 ohm coil or used a SR carto you would notice a signicant difference in a mod not conducting well vs a low loss Mod. Is this a correct assumption?
    Similar to above, SR or HV coils .. low current, low losses. You will notice less difference between a crap mod and a good one.

Plating components, if I was to get a part plated say in jewler hardness gold am I going to see benefits in the mod,
    hmm, good question .. if the sole issue was contact resistance then possibly. With a mechanical switch with a decent surface area, then I could see a good improvement in the actual contact resistance by plating the switch parts. Things like battery terminal contacts .. not so much.

heres the rub .. a bad mod will have issues with things like springs for contacts, you can plate switches and contacts till the cows come home and the issue will always be the spring. The pack mentality currently is 'voltage drop under load' .. well the major contributor will be the battery, unless the mod is getting hot. If its a contact issue then perhaps its fixable with some plating,

If its not getting hot, then the difference between 20mΩ and 40mΩ is like 0.02v to 0.05v at the currents we use.
    making only a few % difference in output power. The numbers can lie .. they are not as important as some are going to tell you.
    grouse, D1git and Stabs like this.
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D

AVF Regular
    Stoney thanks that explains a lot and demystifies some of the hoopla I have been reading with regards to the getting free electrons to the right location....

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....