Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By davee
  • 1 Post By ckane

Thread: Too much surface area?

Too much surface area?

I rebuilt a bunch of my vivi nova coils yesterday. Normally I use 5 strands of 1mm wick but I was a bit short so I unraveled 2 strands of 3mm wick and coiled these with my usual 32 gauge Kanthal. They all worked at at between 1.8 & 2.1 ohm. Picked up one of the tanks this morning that had been laying down and the juice was dripping out the centre post! Picked up another, took a couple of puffs and it flooded.

Seems this method was getting too much juice to the coil. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Just took a bit much off. 2.5mm is right for a Nova/Stardust head. 2 & a half strands might be right.

AVF Regular
    I used to use 2x 2.5mm wick didn't get any flooding. Probably juice getting in between the rubber cap and the metal slit for the wicks. Sounds like a bit to much gap.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

You could be right. I forgot to mention that I always widen the slots with the dremelike so I can fit more wick in. I've been doing this for months and it works great with a heap of 1mm or 2-3 strands of 2.5mm but the unraveled wicking didnt work so well.

Quote Originally Posted by ckane View Post
    I used to use 2x 2.5mm wick didn't get any flooding. Probably juice getting in between the rubber cap and the metal slit for the wicks. Sounds like a bit to much gap.
    Did you trim a bit of silicone off to squeeze two strands in?
    ckane likes this.

Nah, thats why I widen the slot.

AVF Regular
    Na but in the end I bit two notches out of the silica cap, I was starting getting dry hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by davee View Post
    Did you trim a bit of silicone off to squeeze two strands in?
    davee likes this.
    Move along!!! Nothing to see here.

Never had a problem with dry hits, it was the opposite.

No biggie though.All fixed. I was just curious.

As vivi novas are my go to clear I am always trying different types of wick and wire chasing the perfect vape.

AVF Regular
    I'm finding 4 to 5 wraps around a 3mm wick to be good, although i've had some shorts with 5 wraps so sticking to 4 for now to make it easier. i wrap around a really small jewelry screw driver, align the coil by pinching it together then thread through the wick after. have stuffed around with other ways of doing it but have settled on this, especially with my bad eyesight.

Quote Originally Posted by tugboatofdeath View Post
    I'm finding 4 to 5 wraps around a 3mm wick to be good, although i've had some shorts with 5 wraps so sticking to 4 for now to make it easier. i wrap around a really small jewelry screw driver, align the coil by pinching it together then thread through the wick after. have stuffed around with other ways of doing it but have settled on this, especially with my bad eyesight.
    I've been doing my coils like that now too. Easier, and you end up with a much rounder coil. I've found winding the coils right next to each other, and then stretching it out a bit after to get the gaps works a treat too.