Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Giving a shot at "Wireless" charging

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Giving a shot at "Wireless" charging

First off I want to say that wireless charging is an oxymoron and in my opinion a waste of time. Reason being that you still need wires and a power supply to power the “Wireless” transmitter. If it could be done via the VHF radio frequency, or in fact any wavelength, I would go for it.

Because many people ( a couple) think it is viable, I decided to investigate the technology and build it into one of my mods.

First off, I ordered a hand full of these

DIY Wireless Charging Transmitter + Receiver Solution Module - Green + Golden (DC 5~12V)
    Item Number 194469$8.70 USD3$26.10 USDMini 1A Lithium Battery Charging Module - Blue
    Item Number 187117$3.00 USD3$9.00 USDDISCOUNT

Mini 1A Lithium Battery Charging Module - Blue - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

- Input voltage: 4.5V~5.5V
    - Fully charged voltage: 4.2V
    - Charging current: 1A adjustable
    - Working temperature: -10'C~85'C
    - Charging method: Linear charging 1%

Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Worldwide Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Input Voltage: DC 5~12V; Input Voltage (limited): DC 13.5V; Output Voltage: DC 5V; Output Current (maximum): 600mA; Transmitter Coil Inductance: 30uH; Transmit-receive distance: 1~20mm; Coil Diameter: 38mm; Coil Height: 2mm

I have a mod bought some time ago in the classifieds, I think from one of the Mick’s. It’s a Shan mod, a regulated 5v box mod that lends its self to this type of playing around.

Reason I chose this mod to play around with is there is plenty of room to fit the coil and the charging board. I wanted to mount the electronics in the cover, and keep the cover removable. It is held in place with magnets, and I was able to use these magnets as the charging contacts.

The mod is a duel 18650 with the batteries in parallel, so it was just a case of connecting the output of the usb charging board directly to the batteries. The output current is said to be 1 amp, but I will take that with a bucket of salt. Charging time from flat? I have no idea but it won’t be pretty!! As you see the batteries are the dreaded Ultra fire 4000ma. I just happen to have a hand full (12) at 85cents each shipped, so I wont cry when they burn the shed down. I have to say, so far they have proved to be a good “Investment” for playing around with. There have only been three that haven’t performed.

I am struggling with a power supply so I have to use a bench stabilized supply for the time being just to test. Hooked everything up and its looking good. With the two coils back to back the voltage is fluctuating between 4.15 and 4.20. Due to using the magnets as a contact point I cant check the charging current, but it is certainly working The batterys were showing 3.8v before starting the charge so I will give it an hour or so and see what happens.

I have got to think of a charging base now? Maybe a nice wood stand, when I get the time!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fatman, RichoVonBlack and MrGruffy like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Some more images
    Fatman, RichoVonBlack and MrGruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    and a couple more
    Fatman likes this.

Alliance for Wireless Power | Home this is what you really want but it's years and years away. Basically this can act similar to a Wifi signal so the home gets distibuted with true "Wireless power"

This is bound to make a lot of health concerns in the future which is why it's not around yet. But imagine powering your tablet, phone, fridge, microwave etc just by having a pad which doesn't need to make contact.

Thats where the future is headed.

"Spatial freedom holds the potential to extend wireless power applications beyond sleeves and mats on a desktop to embedded charging surfaces in furniture, machines and vehicles.

Other wireless power designs in use require precise alignment and close physical contact between the charging surface and the device to be charged.

As the market and technology move toward designs that accommodate the way consumers want to use wireless power, these approaches will fit fewer use cases.

To bring wireless power into conformity with real-world conditions, spatial freedom allows for higher variability in coupling coefficient, device sizes, load conditions and separation between the power transmitter and receiver."
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Yes that is the ideal solution. A couple of years ago Nokia was looking at the concept, but I dont know how far it went. They promised 2012? I might have a walk around the net and see what has happened.

One of the reasons I am not a fan of the above project is that the base charger is expected to be powered up full time to accept any and all gadgets. Its sucking power even when not charging anything. I know all my chargers get turned off when not doing their job. I guess you can do the same with the wireless thing, but it kinda defeats the object!!

Anyway while babbling on about different eco friendly charging have a look at this??

"The Bottle Charger was designed by a group of visionaries in Nairobi, Kenya. It takes nothing more than a 20 liter (about five gallons) plastic bottle and a cup of boiling water to charge your cell phone or other device in 15 to 30 minutes, depending on factors like the temperature surrounding the bottle. The Bottle Charger uses a small Blackbeard Unidirectional Constant Turbine (B.U.C.T.) to generate energy along with the rise and fall of temperatures."

Device Charges Cell Phones With Hot Water + a Plastic Bottle | Gadgets, Science & Technology

How clever is that?? I need to find one of those mini turbine things??
    Fatman likes this.

That would depend on the pad, I know the metrans pads qwerty used do switch off when not in use.

Cheap $18 wireless pads won't I guess.

As for the Unidirectional Constant Turbine.. i cant seem to find anything online Did they make it themself? Looks DIY Unless they've renamed it to be fancy and to stop others from doing exactly what they've done.
    Last edited by neofelis; 14-06-13 at 11:49 AM.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    That would depend on the pad, I know the metrans pads qwerty used do switch off when not in use.

Cheap $18 wireless pads won't I guess.

Yes, the unit does go into standby mode, but the power adapter is still plugged in and sucking power. Not a lot, but enough to keep it warm!!

try a metrans pad later down the track maybe. they're top quality but a premium price.

Around $37 a pad shipped I think.... Might be more though! [edit: now $42.40!] http://www.everbuying.com/product400307.html
    Last edited by neofelis; 14-06-13 at 11:54 AM.
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by neofelis View Post
    try a metrans pad later down the track maybe. they're top quality but a premium price.

Around $37 a pad shipped I think.... Might be more though! [edit: now $45!] Metrans MWT01 Qi Certified Portable Wireless Charger and Receiver for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 White (WHITE) | Everbuying.com

I don't think I will go any further with this wireless thing as I honestly consider it a waste of time. The fact you have to return to base doesn't do it for me. Its still a hard wired connection, so its just as quick to plug in the unit or change the battery. I can see the upside if you are at your desk as its a handy way to keep your battery topped up between vapes, but that's about it. Sure it does have its uses, but just not for me. The only reason I did it was to keep me amused!!

AVF Regular
    Now this is the way ahead. I want one!!

http://www.mincom.gov.az/media-en/news-2/details/1036
    neofelis likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast