• 2 Post By Robray
  • 1 Post By DEATHGUYJ
  • 1 Post By Robray
  • 1 Post By Dalmas

Thread: Drill bit storage ideas??

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Drill bit storage ideas??

I just thought I would share this brainwave with all the people who abuse their tools. Now read into that what you will, but I do mean tools of the trade especially the high dollar drill bits that always end up rolling around the work bench or hidden in the Tupperware container getting blunt and chipped.

My baby workstation in the shed is getting overcrowded and finding free space to organize tools is proving to be a trail.

A while back I acquired a handful of different size rare earth magnets. For what they are, they are incredibly cheap and very handy. In fact so handy, I came across them minding their own business in a box under the work bench. After all this time skiving off I put them to work organizing my step drill and Forster drill bit collection.

Not earth shattering I agree, but its an answer to my problem. What are your ideas for tool storage? Not looking for underwear brands and sizes here??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bk_renesis and DEATHGUYJ like this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Oh for a better solution... I usually keep mine in their original casing if decent or jiggling around unsorted getting blunt in a steel toolbox.

Its a good idea for storage and handy wise, but won't it magnetise the bits? I try to avoid magnetising any of my tools, in fact i have a demagnetiser for in case they do.
    Last edited by Jetpants; 15-06-13 at 07:48 AM.

[s] Vaping nic-free since 16 November 2012 [/s]
    Back on the nic.

AVF Regular
    Not over bothered about them being magnetized. Most of the work they do is in wood, and for metal it makes it easy to collect the swarf!!

keeping them in the original packaging is the best way, but storing and finding the bloody things is my problem. This way I am using real estate that wouldn't otherwise be used?

AVF Regular
    great idea man I also like that there right there infront of the drill no time wasted looking for the bit box or moving stuff around the bench
    Robray likes this.

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

AVF Regular
    Fair enough. I actually need a drillpress. Can you recommended the Ryobi?

[s] Vaping nic-free since 16 November 2012 [/s]
    Back on the nic.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetpants View Post
    Fair enough. I actually need a drillpress. Can you recommended the Ryobi?

It depends on your needs. For super accuracy, no. Just for making holes in stuff its ok. If you decide to get one of these, have a look at the Ozito. Its exactly the same, from the same Chinese sweat shop but cheaper.
    Jetpants likes this.

I've got the Ozito. Works great, but like Robray said you will sacrifice a small amount of accuracy in this range. Cost $99 from Bunnings if I recall correctly.

Nice for bit storage, Robray
    Jetpants likes this.

AVF Regular
    If your the only one in there, its a top idea, any chimps or yard apes might take to it like a pinata and a drill bit in the head at that height might not be desirable, so as long as its a chimp proof cave looks great.

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

Next time I am over my mums place I will take a pic of my dads shed storage. He was originally a carpenter, and every tool he got he built a way to keep it. Consequently he has racks of drill bit holders, screwdriver holders, other tool holders etc. It's quite impressive, but very functional, and he could find anything at a moments notice.

I am sure you toolies will appreciate it.

magnets and metal swarf do not belong in the same place
    In order of useful: Provari V2 and V1, vamo, eGo twist, Katana v3, Hex, Orion v2, LavaTube, eGo x 6, VMAX, 510N, Tick V2, Tick V1, noEgo 18650, noEgo 14650 , Indulgence x 2, 905 6v mod, KR808D