Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Lets waste some wood!!!!!!!!

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs

Lets waste some wood!!!!!!!!

The original intention was to blatantly copy Dalmas and his Vamo woody.

First DIY mod

I was just itching to use some of my copper tube.
    Cheap copper bling for building Mods.

First mistake was cutting the wood to small. Not thick enough. (The wood, not me!)

Never one to waste anything,

I carried on to make a basic 3.7 mod. The thing is marginally longer than the 18650 battery, and is an eGo set up. The difference with this one is the remote fire button. It is a fairly expensive way to go about it as the cost of the six whiskeys consumed before my hands were steady enough to solder the jumpers, but then I donít have to worry about making the battery removable, as it will charge via the 510 connector. As usual for me when messing with the eGo, I replaced the three tiny wires with larger ones. Again these were soldered straight to the board. Much easier to work with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    Itís a realy good idea, after so much soldering on the board, to temporally connect everything up and function test it. Just as well I did, as there was a bad joint on the extension for the remote button. It was so bad it fell off!! When everything is good, throw some hot melt glue at the board to secure all the wires. Keep the glue clear of the onboard Tac switch.

The copper end plates were a fair bit of work, and I am not yet convinced it was worth it. Hard work to get the blemishes out. Never mind, it gives it the distressed look that people pay silly money for.

The 510 connector is soldered into the top plate, so fairly leak proof and secure. Better than epoxy? Not a lot else to say really. The wood was chopped from a piece of 70mm square pine. Cant afford exotic timbers and itís an environmentally friendly managed resource. I decided not to stain it and keep it blond. Well the blond is the result of a strong brew of tea and left for a couple of hours to soak. If like me you are impatient, after the soak in tea, a quick flash in the microwave (30secís) with the wood wrapped in cloth, helps to speed up the seasoning time for the wet wood. A couple or three times over an hour should help things along. Just change the cloth after each blast as it will be wet.

A couple of hiccups. Because I was so mean with the wood, on assembly the 510 connector was too long and was contacting the positive terminal. A little surgery was called for so I pulled the center pin and insulation, then cut the skirt from the connection.
    If you have to do this, I suggest having a spare connector or two. Those silicon washers are subject to splitting when removed. I would have used Dalmas workaround, but did not have any o-rings small enough.
    Fatman, MrGruffy and Dalmas like this.

AVF Regular
    This gave me a little more room, but still not enough. The original contact was from one of the mini LED flashlights. Had to find another was. Solved with a tap washer and a couple of ďDrawing pinsĒ or thumb tacks if you are that way inclined.

Anyway, not what I started out to do, but nothing wasted!!!

Tomorrow I will give it the final sanding and a dose of oil and polish.
    margyb, Fatman, MrGruffy and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    A couple more
    Noe, Crisscross, Fatman and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    beautiful work. definitely not a waste of wood!
    Robray likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    beautiful work. definitely not a waste of wood!

Not the original intention, but it gave me the chance to try out something I wouldn't have tried otherwise.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Hey Rob, waste some of that wood in my direction
    GirlyPantz and Robray like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Looks fantastic, Robroy.

Love the copper emds with the brass screws! Very tasty indeed.

The thing that impresses me most is your ability to run a remote switch off the ego board. I've got 5 of them here and I keep looking at them thinking "how the f*&k am I going to hit that tiny little solder pad and not cook the board!"

Kudos to you mate, thats a fine piece of work you pulled off there.
    Robray and Fatman like this.

Was out in the shed this afternoon tinkering on another wood project and my dremelike bit the dust! It just stopped working. Only 4 months old but I don't think the Ozito tools work that well when running constantly. Didn't help that was working with red gum. Took it back to Bunnings... no questions asked - just replaced. Unfortunately they didn't have any of the Ozito ones in stock so I upgraded to a real Dremel.
    Hopefully this one lasts longer than four months.

AVF Regular
    I upgraded to a real Dremel.
    Hopefully this one lasts longer than four months.

Got to confess I cant see the price in a "Real" Dremmel. I have been running a **** Smith special for a couple of years now, and it does everything I expect it to do. Mind you I have never asked it to cut down gum trees??? It just hangs on a hook by the work bench and the rotary cable is permanently connected. Only down side is the crappy alloy chuck which need lots of care to use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast