Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My experiences with RBAs and choosing the correct Kanthal. Z-Atty-Pro & RSST.

My experiences with RBAs and choosing the correct Kanthal. Z-Atty-Pro & RSST.

This week I decided to foray into RBAs. I'm glad I did....they are great.

I purchased a new RSST and a used Z-Atty-Pro.

I was recommended to buy 30 AWG wire which I purchased from Vapeking, it came quickly, I was happy. Until the build stage.

The RSST arrived first. After several attempted builds and many YouTube viewings I could not get the resistance to read over about 1.1 ohms with 30 AWG which is .25 mm.

The Z-Atty-Pro arrived with some oxidised wicks and some 32 AWG which is .20 mm. My first build with the 32 AWG gave me 2.1 ohms.

I attempted another build with the 30 AWG on the RSST and got a crap reading again so I used the 32 AWG which came with the Z-Atty-Pro and my first build came to 2.4 ohms so I took one wind off the coil and it is back down to 2.2 ohms and working a treat.

I'm still on #400 mesh as I bought a heap of it. I have a ceramic wick to try next.

In summary, for me 30 AWG is too thick and is hard to build a good RBA unless you want an ohm or sub ohm coil. 32 AWG is perfect. Just don't forget to gradually increase the voltage from 3.00 volts upwards to a bit over 4.00 volts when you're building it at the oxidisation stage if you have a >2 ohm coil.

Both of the last two coils I built by hand with the wick already in place, no drill bit or any other method was used. Fairly numpty proof.

I hope this post is handy to someone, it might save them some of the frustrations that I initially encountered.

Cheers,
    Juz.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Nice one mate, I'd agree 32 is the best for the vv devices

30 is a good all rounder too tho.

Apologies for the kaynar (kynar) in the title, I meant kanthal. I used to mod x-boxes and that type of thin wire was stuck in my RAM.

Time for another drink.

Super Moderator
    Fix-ted ...
    Juzm likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

You spelled it wrong too, lol. I believe it's Kanthal. But thanks for trying mate.

Search results will still yield the right results.
    CMB and RichoVonBlack like this.

AVF Regular
    I'm using 32 gauge, silica is a win but I ran into problems with ss though but I think that was a combo of me mucking up the wick a bit and the genie is probably a bit small for me to work on easily. I initially had success with a couple of 1.3 and 1.7 ohm coils until it started shorting and everytime I tried I couldn't stop the shorts and went back to my RDA. Look to go an RSST next pay and have another crack though now I have a good supply of ADV

Super Moderator
    Fix-ted pt 2 (the continuing series ...)
    RichoVonBlack and Juzm like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juzm View Post
    This week I decided to foray into RBAs. I'm glad I did....they are great.

I purchased a new RSST and a used Z-Atty-Pro.

I was recommended to buy 30 AWG wire which I purchased from Vapeking, it came quickly, I was happy. Until the build stage.

The RSST arrived first. After several attempted builds and many YouTube viewings I could not get the resistance to read over about 1.1 ohms with 30 AWG which is .25 mm.

The Z-Atty-Pro arrived with some oxidised wicks and some 32 AWG which is .20 mm. My first build with the 32 AWG gave me 2.1 ohms.

I attempted another build with the 30 AWG on the RSST and got a crap reading again so I used the 32 AWG which came with the Z-Atty-Pro and my first build came to 2.4 ohms so I took one wind off the coil and it is back down to 2.2 ohms and working a treat.

I'm still on #400 mesh as I bought a heap of it. I have a ceramic wick to try next.

In summary, for me 30 AWG is too thick and is hard to build a good RBA unless you want an ohm or sub ohm coil. 32 AWG is perfect. Just don't forget to gradually increase the voltage from 3.00 volts upwards to a bit over 4.00 volts when you're building it at the oxidisation stage if you have a >2 ohm coil.

Both of the last two coils I built by hand with the wick already in place, no drill bit or any other method was used. Fairly numpty proof.

I hope this post is handy to someone, it might save them some of the frustrations that I initially encountered.

Cheers,
    Juz.
    Would you believe I'm using an RSST on a VV/VW mod, using 28G Kanthal & having a 1.5ohm coil, using a #400 mesh wick, right now?

It can be done with patience & practice.
    For me 28G is better, it lasts longer than thinner gauge wire, as a coil & means less rebuilds = win.
    More wraps for increased ohms, can mean more potential shorts/hot spots though but once you have them sorted out, you can look forward to weeks of hassle & re - build free vaping.
    Scottyhooton likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

I have had no probs with the rsst running 28 ga @ 1 ohm on the provari , it goes great as long as you don't go above 3.7 volts
    Noe likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyhooton View Post
    I have had no probs with the rsst running 28 ga @ 1 ohm on the provari , it goes great as long as you don't go above 3.7 volts
    Must be just these soft eastern staters that don't get the hard cored-ness of 28G wire whaddya reckon mate?

Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast