Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Stabs

Thread: I would like to try building my own coils

I would like to try building my own coils

I've been reading a lot about all this rebuilding stuff and I'd like to give it a go. I've watched lots of youtube videos but i'm still reluctant for reasons which are completely ambiguous. I'd like to try like to try rebuilding the protank before I buy a rebuildable atomizer because I already have what I need and I would like to use ss mesh. I would like to keep my coils standard resistance because I like to have some kind of uniformity in all my stuff. Which gauge wire should I use? 30 or 32? 400 mesh? I looks small and is probably fiddly but I have plenty of spent coil heads.
    I wonder if someone will be doing some kind of demo at vapourpalooza next weekend?

AVF Regular
    Id use 32guage and some silica, not mesh on the protank.

I'm happy to show you next weekend. I'd use 32 gauge and 400 mesh. I can show you how to do a Smoktech RSST, Z-Atty-Pro or a RDA like the Cyclone. I don't yet know how to do a Protank if you're talking about the Kanger variety. I pulled apart on of the Protank heads last night and they look like a very hard way to start rebuildables.

AVF Regular
    There are videos online that show how to rebuild the bottom feeders, its pretty simple, the insulator traps the pos to the center pin and the neg to the outside of the insulator.

Needle nose pliers, pull out center pin, the insulator might come out with it. remove coil note one tail is longer than the other, chuck in bin or keep for reference.

Select silica 2mm should work, I recommend torching it a bit to get rid of some of the silica taste or dry burn once its one there. You could use SS however I would not recommend it for your first rebuild in that type of device, as you will most likely just end up popping the coil, shorting it, not packed enough for the space, leaking etc etc. Something to try much later on.

32 or 34awg, 34 will get you into the 2+ ohms and 32awg 1.6 - 2 depending on wraps. Wrap coil with tails facing the same way, place tails into the wick recess, set wick, tug tails, insert insulator with one tail on the inside of it (+Pos) on one on the outside of the insulator (-Neg) you can bend the neg wire over the lip of the pin housing to assist. Once in hold the +pos wire and push in the center pin in. Nail clippers and trim both as close to the insulator as you can. Tuck any exposed wire in with the end of a pair of tweezers, very important the pos wire is tucked in.

Sit on VV device test ohms, if stable, test fire, dry burn, put all the bits back on a flavour wick on top of your coil, prime with some liquid, finish assembly, fill tank, sit for five minutes, set your voltage lower than your target vape to break in, once full vapour and flavour it coming on, raise to desired voltage.

These are really easy to rebuild, careful not to damage insulator and tuck in the pos wire well.
    luntingsir and Juzm like this.

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

AVF Regular
    For shitz and giggles did a 30 AWG 5 wrap on doubled 2mm silica, come out at 1.2 ohm left the loop on one end about 10mm put some 50/50 in it, unprimed, suck started it in 3 puffs @3.8 volts, vaping train. Taste is pretty good, I would say better than I can manage out of a penelope to date, no dry hits actually got a bit of a nic rush which I haven't had for a while.

Took a total of about 10minutes to do, when I get home I may start tooling around with some videos for these type of deals, DIY because really these replacement coils are that simple to rebuild, and can be done with 3 tools most homes have.

I now have pretty much everything I could want, next step is making my own mods and juices, watch this space er cadet....

12 wraps of 30 gauge Kanthal around a 1/16" drill bit (Micro Coil). Comes out to 2.8 ohms. Cotton wick. Hits much much better then the stock head flavor and vapor wise.