Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Brass atty / tank info

Super Moderator

Brass atty / tank info

Items you would want in a co-op !

Quote Originally Posted by luntingsir View Post
    I believe brass is made up of copper and zinc (and sometimes lead). When it comes into contact with moisture the zinc turns into zinc oxide. When it mixes with your juice, and you inhale it, it can give you metal fume fever. That's why you won't see brass used in atomisers or tanks unless it's been chromed first.

Disclaimer: I am not a metallurgist.
    Actually, I don't believe that is the concern especially if you are like me and wash my "tanks" (whatever form they may take) on a regular basis. What is a concern though is that untreated, free machining brass contains lead, which can leech into the juice.

Notice I qualified that with "untreated" ... if you soak your free machining brass {whatever} in a mixture of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, the surface lead is removed. So ... soak your brass {whatever} in a mixture of 2 parts white vinegar (5% acetic acid) and 1 part of hydrogen peroxide (3% active ingredient) for a period of 10 minutes or more ...

This process was developed as part of the space program (I have a link to the web site on my computer at home).
    Last edited by gtadmin; 13-07-13 at 05:30 PM.
    Robray, Fatman and KamaKaZzie like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Geezarse the stuff you learn.... cheers Lads

Stopped Smoking On the 4/7/13..Guess when i started Vaping

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Actually, I don't believe that is the concern especially if you are like me and wash my "tanks" (whatever form they may take) on a regular basis. What is a concern though is that untreated, free machining brass contains lead, which can leech into the juice.

Notice I qualified that with "untreated" ... if you soak your free machining brass {whatever} in a mixture of acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide, the surface lead is removed. So ... soak your brass {whatever} in a mixture of 2 parts white vinegar (5% acetic acid) and 1 part of hydrogen peroxide (3% active ingredient) for a period of 10 minutes or more ...

This process was developed as part of the space program (I have a link to the web site on my computer at home).
    Here's the link I was thinking of. A bit more googling will reveal more.
    Robray likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Here's the link I was thinking of. A bit more googling will reveal more.
    Well bugger me with a water melon GT Admin. Have you tried that process on an atty that you've then used for juice?
    I ask because I hate machining stainless and quite like brass in every respect by comparison.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Well bugger me with a water melon GT Admin. Have you tried that process on an atty that you've then used for juice?
    I ask because I hate machining stainless and quite like brass in every respect by comparison.
    Yes ... and while I'm still alive, my eyes are bright green

A spot to post mod design ideas

AVF Regular
    Yes ... and while I'm still alive, my eyes are bright green

A spot to post mod design ideas
    For all your prodigious talents, high definition photography isn't one of them.
    This is one of the most exciting posts I've read for a while, thank you so very much.
    I may unpack the lathe for this, hrmm, Mudgee field day next weekend, then work, then Melb, then work... hrmm bugger, give me time I say.

Super Moderator
    Ha ha, it was my crappy Samsung phone ...

HSV

Thank GT, that's awesome info right there. Now can you tell me how to stop my brass dripping attys from tarnishing after five minutes of use?
    Last edited by gtadmin; 13-07-13 at 05:25 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HSV View Post
    Thank GT, that's awesome info right there. Now can you tell me how to stop my brass dripping attys from tarnishing after five minutes of use?
    I polished mine with Autosol (Supercheap Auto ~$11) and it didn't tarnish with use for at least a few weeks ... but I've since gone with the brushed finish. Just a word of caution, while I couldn't taste it, I made Domo a RDA and she said she could taste the Autosol.

HSV
    I will give Autosol a go. The Brasso I tried the other day lasted about 6 hours before it started looking crappy again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast