Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Kwila Wood Mod for Noe

AVF Regular

Kwila Wood Mod for Noe

Returned home from holidays this morning and finished off the Kwila Wood Mod I have been working on for Noe. Noe pm me your address details so I can send this one out to you. A few pictures are below. I would like to say this is flawless but it isn't. I think just as the wood has flaws so does my workmanship. This is not a factory turned out piece of Vaping gear, it is hand made, hand soldered, epoxied and wired. However I will keep working on my wood mods as this will be the only way that I will improve.

DSCF5913.jpg DSCF5911.jpg DSCF5902.jpg

The next one I have already started on is made from Huon Pine. "Lagarostrobos franklinii is a species of conifer native to the wet south-western corner of Tasmania, Australia; it is the sole species in Lagarostrobos. The wood was highly prized for its golden yellow colour, fine grain and natural oils that resisted rotting. The chemical that gives the timber its unique smell and preservative qualities is methyl eugenol. Heavy logging of the trees for its timber coupled with the trees' slow growth has led to remaining stands being less than 105 square kilometres (26,000 acres) "

Hopefully this one will be finished by the end of the weekend.

DSCF5891.jpg DSCF5892.jpg
    Noe, fudgeball, ozydevil and 12 others like this.

AVF Regular
    The one your working on now (Lagarostrobos franklinii) is spectacular mate, Noe's gonna be jealous,,
    pcan68 likes this.
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

AVF Regular
    Hey Richo, its amazing creamy white wood with a really fine grain. They actually used it on boat ramps because it just doesn't decompose under water...ever! So it is also waterproof and very dense wood. It has a small crack in the to be switch housing but with extra coats of finish it should be ok, it looks worse than what it really is, will give it extra character.

I am pretty lucky to have some of this wood, probably enough for 4-5 mods. Just have to make sure I don't make mistakes!
    RichoVonBlack and DEATHGUYJ like this.

AVF Regular
    Smooth as vanilla mate, you got some skills there my friend,,
    Vaporista
    Noob for life

Last Analog

12-12-12 at Midnight

"If it was easy, all the cool kids would be doing it",

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    PM incoming mate.

I'm actually not jealous of the huon pine one Richo
    I prefer red woods to white woods & the finish on the Kwila mod looks spectacular.
    I am kinda wondering though, if it'll take an 18650 batt, it looks fairly short in those pics & I don't have any 18350s to try it with if it is their size.
    RichoVonBlack likes this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Sorry forgot to say it is an 18650 mod, it is exactly 104mm high, short for a mod that takes an 18650 bat which is 64mm high.
    Noe and RichoVonBlack like this.

AVF Regular
    beautiful work there, pcan! one of the things i totally loved about visiting tassie was driving around the huon valley and stopping in at all the places seeing the amazing wordwork people had on offer. just incredible.
    pcan68 likes this.

Noe
    AV Approved Manafacturer/Modder Chief Snus scientist
    In the deep dark recesses of your mind! .. Prophet of the Vapeoligists & keeper of the sacred Bewdy.
    Quote Originally Posted by kay67kay View Post
    beautiful work there, pcan! one of the things i totally loved about visiting tassie was driving around the huon valley and stopping in at all the places seeing the amazing wordwork people had on offer. just incredible.
    Hopefully, Aus Post will get the "Killa Kwila" to me in time to test it out & bring it along to the Perth Vape meet, so I can showcase Pcan's work to all our Perth vapers
    pcan68 and LizBiz25 like this.
    Officially #1 Customer and Supporter of Essiemessy's Custom made Glass Drip Tips!
    Essie's Glass DTs

Sent from my kickass gaming PC using keyboard & fingers.

The Dahli Lama once said, "People do not laugh enough & take life too seriously, causing stress." A good laugh can cure a build up of stress, stress is a leading cause of grey hair & early death.

Vape Hard or go home and Vape Hard!

I'd rather be sneezing than wheezing!

AVF Regular
    Hi Noe,

I have a problem. I used a two part epoxy on the brass threading connectors to the wood yesterday afternoon, I thought by this morning it would be dried solid as, however the epoxy is not drying hard, it is remaining very tacky. I have had the mod in the sun this morning hoping that it would help it set hard but the opposite has happened, it has become even more tacky with the heat on it. I don't know what to do as I can't really remove the epoxy and re apply it, it will get really messy.

I am a gutted right now because with it not setting hard, the brass threading spins on the wood. It seems I have got this far with this mod and it is now useless because of the epoxy not setting as I thought. On the prototype I just used super glue because it was just a prototype.

The epoxy is just a Bunning's two part "Super Epoxy 6ml" it should have set hard by now! Not sure what to do but it is certainly not going to be a working mod without the epoxy setting properly.

I am going to post this in the thread as someone else might be able to suggest if I have used the wrong epoxy or there is a specific type I should have used. So if anyone reading this can help please post a suggestion. Or am I being too hasty,I don't think so as it has been 20hours since epoxy was applied, around 4pm yesterday.

Noe I am really sorry about this but I cant send you a mod that isn't right I am sure you are disappointed as I certainly am right now.

AVF Regular
    Ok so I have just got back from bunnings and have learnt the error of my ways. Apparently because I clear coated the mod with Estapol and then used the 2 pack epoxy over the top of the estapol, the hydrocarbons in the estapol made for a bad reaction to the epoxy. Man this is a learning curve.

So .......... Noe, I will send you the Huon Pine once complete. Sorry to disappoint you with the Kwila wood, I am also very disappointed, a lot of time spent gone to waste.

This time I have to seal the wood with just a watered down mix of turps and estapol, then when completely dry and cured use a 2 Pack araldite instead of epoxy on the wood to brass threading, then when all is set hard as a rock apply the final coats of clear estapol to the mod, seems I got it the wrong way around and in the process ruined a nice mod. ####!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast