Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fad

Thread: Sanding down my Kick, safe to do?

Sanding down my Kick, safe to do?

So I got myself a Smok - Magneto and I sorta scratched the tube while forcing my kick in a little to hard.

Is it safe to sand down some of the PCB that doesn't have any metal plating/stuff on it to give it a better fit? Or is there a risk of static killing the kick due to friction of the sand paper killing the kick, or is it worth getting a Dremel and a sanding pad? Also throwing out the idea to use a static earth wrist strap used to ground myself.

I am talking just enough to make it slide in while allowing the "pin" to touch the side to avoid any more scratching down the side.

Daily Work Horse: iTaste MVP + Boge F16 Carto | Back-up: K100 18350/Kick + Boge F16
    Stand-by: iTaste SVD, Anyvape V2, 2x Ego-T 1000mha

AVF Regular
    Are you talking scratching inside the tube that you cant see? If so who gives a shit.

Yeh got some scratches in the inner tube, can't see from the outside but I KNOW they are their. So just want to shave a little off the kick.

Daily Work Horse: iTaste MVP + Boge F16 Carto | Back-up: K100 18350/Kick + Boge F16

AVF Regular
    The spring needs to make contact with the metal or it wont work. (Thats pretty anal dude). The sigelei kick has a button. But if your gonna use a kick i would expect some scuffing in there.

The spring is compressed as far as it goes.

AVF Regular
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just drop it a few times and then you wont care anymore.
    Last edited by arth_d; 02-08-13 at 01:39 AM.

Arrh, to late it already came with a "blemish" on it but its only noticeable in the right light

AVF Regular
    Give it a few weeks, you wont care after that. You do wanna use it? If you really like it you could get a spare one and just look at it. They are not too expensive.

I got a 2nd one on the way from the US without the Smok logo and adjustable center pin so all good. It does feel better made then my K100 so hopefully it stands up to a few drops

fad
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmesh View Post
    So I got myself a Smok - Magneto and I sorta scratched the tube while forcing my kick in a little to hard.

Is it safe to sand down some of the PCB that doesn't have any metal plating/stuff on it to give it a better fit? Or is there a risk of static killing the kick due to friction of the sand paper killing the kick, or is it worth getting a Dremel and a sanding pad? Also throwing out the idea to use a static earth wrist strap used to ground myself.

I am talking just enough to make it slide in while allowing the "pin" to touch the side to avoid any more scratching down the side.
    A dremel is way too powerful for this. What you want is fine sandpaper or file. Cheap ones are available as nail-files;
    I got a 4-way buffer set from Daiso for $2.80.

IMG_2342.JPG

What you need to do is carefully sand down the high points around the edge of the PCB. Give it 1-3 gentle passes,
    taking off a hair each time. Then test for fit and operation.

You need to closely examine the PCB and make sure you are not cutting any of the electronic tracks.

IMG_2340.jpg

The image is blurry, sorry. The green highlighted areas show bare PCB without tracks on. As long as both sides of the PCB are
    the same it should be safe to trim here. The red boxes show tracks; these are the areas you need to be wary of.

Take it carefully and slowly and you should have no problems.

[Disclaimer: this worked on my Sigelei kick. Doing the same may break whatever you have]

BTW: the buffer block is great for cleaning the contacts of Kicks and mechanical mods.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    spurius likes this.