Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Modded Reo Grand Beryllium Copper, Voltage drop majorly solved

AVF Regular

Modded Reo Grand Beryllium Copper, Voltage drop majorly solved

Ok because I opened my big mouth on another thread and mentioned I had modded my Reo here are the pics and facts.
    Beryllium copper strips were salvaged from an Eveready torch from the local tip, and were used to make leaf spring firing pin and battery contact ( please note battery is inverted with positive pointing down to give a better strike surface for the firing pin, be aware the batteries like the Grey Panasonic will need insulation tape around the edge of the negative end to guard against shorts in the event that your Reo has damaged or missing powder coating/anodising in the area it sits against.Aws and MNKEs do not have this issue as the wrap is more far reaching)
    The Dual coil is made up of two 0.8Ohm 30g Kanthal A1 micro coils 1.5mm ID with cotton balls
    They are running in a Cyclone with the AFC topcap set up with a fatter O-ring in the catch cup and with the pos pin hammered through the base of the atty to contact the 510 pos connector.
    The beefier home fabricated pos pin in the 510 connector was made from an old clearo center shaft, cut,ground and shaped in a pillar drill.
    0.4Ohm resistance running on a nearly fresh (4.13v)MNKE18650 from Vapeking (I'm hoping it's a genuine one, I have been assured by Brian) giving 3.78-3.8v under load.
    Glowing coil in photos is due to static fire with no airflow, and a very slow compact camera.
    Pictures should tell the rest of the story, but I will mention that on a fresh charge with a 1Ohm coil I get 4.02v at the atty terminals.
    The Parts:

The Results:
    Last edited by Fatman; 06-12-13 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Spelling Beryllium very wrongly and FM fixing title for ya
    kptrip, Robray, CMB and 3 others like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Appologies for the spelling of Beryllium, I would edit the thread title if I could

(done FM )
    Last edited by Fatman; 06-12-13 at 11:59 AM.
    margyb likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

Maaaan..

Nice stuff studio - interesting. Thanks for sharing mate, love your work.. These are the types of threads I like to see! =)

Was a bit worried that the body might be dropping quite a bit and I would have to do something involving wire / copper tape or the like - thanks for nailing this one!

Was inspired by your Sick Mods when I was on a hunt for a bottom feeder - put a few pieces together for the box - nah fark this I'm getting a Reo lol. Will give it a go at some point with a DN20 though, at least now if I finish it and it looks fooking ridiculous I got a Reo to fall back on! Fook yeah. =P
    studiovape likes this.

[QUOTE=studiovape;388534]Appologies for the spelling of Beryllium, I would edit the thread title if I could

Always admired your work and inspired me to try some modding myself, my life experience has shown me, that Artisan's are not Academics, and Academics are not Artisans.

Taken from Wikipedia: Artisans practice a craft and may through experience and aptitude reach the expressive levels of an artist.
    studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    [QUOTE=dvietrod;388674]
    Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    Appologies for the spelling of Beryllium, I would edit the thread title if I could

Always admired your work and inspired me to try some modding myself, my life experience has shown me, that Artisan's are not Academics, and Academics are not Artisans.

Taken from Wikipedia: Artisans practice a craft and may through experience and aptitude reach the expressive levels of an artist.
    Thanks mate I do my best
    Just some notes on why my results could be worse than they could be:
    A. My multimeter cost $19.95
    B. My Reo has badly worn 510 threads,
    C.Reomizers are all brass and the atty I used is all SS not brass,
    D. My copper firing pin is not clamped onto the pos post like the original setup and is just an interference'ish" fit,
    E. I don't have the AW1600s to test only my "genuine" MNKE18650s and the Grey Panasonic, this 10 amp test High-Drain 18650 Shootout shows the AW1600 to be much stronger than ALL the others at this load.
    With the right conditions the reslults could be stunning rather than quite impressive.
    Sv
    kptrip and Fatman like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

CMB
    AVF Regular
    Nice one Bernie, will have to give it a go. Gotto say the stock switch setup on the Reo is a bit dodgy out of the box and the voltage drop is shocking. It's a shame as apart from that it is an awesome mod.

Got home from work..

Busted open a changer and salvaged the copper rails.

The rails had holes in them which needed enlarging just the slightest, reo negative screw then fitted in. Rolled the remaining copper up to make the negative contact.

Made a V in the other piece of copper and trimmed slightly to make the same width as existing contact. I could have just slid it into the existing insulating tube and called it a day but I fooked that up by slicing it at some point and had to redo it, luckily I had some silicone tube with the same diameter so slid that over the new and existing positive contacts.

Reviewing this thread again I see that I will have to get some insulation on the other side to be safe (although the plastic switch cover does a good job of not letting the strip deviate too far).

Finally have a satisfying sub ohm vape without wires dangling off the negative lol.. Now I can really enjoy mah rio, thanks again studio!

Oya.. Voltage under load for my .5ohm dual has jumped from the stock 2.7v to 3.7v on a fresh EFest 18650 IMR fresh off the charger.
    Last edited by kptrip; 06-12-13 at 07:41 PM.
    studiovape and Fatman like this.

Super Moderator
    Best use of a Trustfire charger ..... EVER !!!!

( see they are good for something )
    kptrip likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kptrip View Post
    Got home from work..

Busted open a changer and salvaged the copper rails.

The rails had holes in them which needed enlarging just the slightest, reo negative screw then fitted in. Rolled the remaining copper up to make the negative contact.

Made a V in the other piece of copper and trimmed slightly to make the same width as existing contact. I could have just slid it into the existing insulating tube and called it a day but I fooked that up by slicing it at some point and had to redo it, luckily I had some silicone tube with the same diameter so slid that over the new and existing positive contacts.

Reviewing this thread again I see that I will have to get some insulation on the other side to be safe (although the plastic switch cover does a good job of not letting the strip deviate too far).

Finally have a satisfying sub ohm vape without wires dangling off the negative lol.. Now I can really enjoy mah rio, thanks again studio!

Oya.. Voltage under load for my .5ohm dual has jumped from the stock 2.7v to 3.7v on a fresh EFest 18650 IMR fresh off the charger.
    Cool mate, glad you got some use out of the thread.
    1v is a huge improvement under load hey?
    Just be aware as I keep being reminded that your Reo now has no active hotspring, and a short will lead to battery meltdown.
    I take this risk on everyone of my mods, but there is a thread on Ecf where they have used 10amp mini auto fuses to make the battery terminal with no addition of voltage drop.
    IMRs will kelp keep your face in one piece better than other lithiums, though as I'm preaching to the choir I'll just stop here and let yOu enjoy the Reo
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Best use of a Trustfire charger ..... EVER !!!!

( see they are good for something )
    Thanks for changing the spelling in the title mate.
    Vaping since July 2012.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast