Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question My coils taste burnt and nasty!

I've been learning to rebuild, but I have never once thus far had any success!. Everything I try, tastes horrible and burnt. Several different gauge kanthals, pre-built coils, cotton, silica wicks, but every single time....puke!.

I'm using a UG AGA-T7 (yes I know, not an easy choice to learn on) atop an Origin mech mod with a fairly shitty dirty old blue 18650.

I'll post a pic to show you what my current attempt looks like (not very pretty). I'm probably just making some noob mistake!.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm really keen to have a good try of my setup, but it's getting ridiculous.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ma...p=docslist_api
    Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives… and to the “good life”, whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.” - HST

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fungusfiend View Post
    I've been learning to rebuild, but I have never once thus far had any success!. Everything I try, tastes horrible and burnt. Several different gauge kanthals, pre-built coils, cotton, silica wicks, but every single time....puke!.

I'm using a UG AGA-T7 (yes I know, not an easy choice to learn on) atop an Origin mech mod with a fairly shitty dirty old blue 18650.

I'll post a pic to show you what my current attempt looks like (not very pretty). I'm probably just making some noob mistake!.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I'm really keen to have a good try of my setup, but it's getting ridiculous.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ma...p=docslist_api
    Heat the coil up on a stove lighter etc

The problem I had with cotton wool wick every time I tried until I realised I was making a noob mistake was not letting the juice seep into the cotton long enough before i fired it. soak/wet the cotton leave it for 10min to seep in the cotton and fire.

Quote Originally Posted by petepunter View Post
    Heat the coil up on a stove lighter etc

The problem I had with cotton wool wick every time I tried until I realised I was making a noob mistake was not letting the juice seep into the cotton long enough before i fired it. soak/wet the cotton leave it for 10min to seep in the cotton and fire.
    So just dry firing the coils (before wicking) doesn't do the trick? I usually get me glowing a few times.

Regarding the wick... Yes, I always just squirt in some juice and give it a go, I'll try leaving it for a bit!
    Let us toast to animal pleasures, to escapism, to rain on the roof and instant coffee, to unemployment insurance and library cards, to absinthe and good-hearted landlords, to music and warm bodies and contraceptives… and to the “good life”, whatever it is and wherever it happens to be.” - HST

I also just realised I'm using pre-made 0.8ohm coils from Vapeking. This might be a problem huh? I actually thought I ordered the 1.4 ohm ones

Have you got two .8 coils in there? Hard to see exactly. If so you're running at .4 ohms...not good if you haven't got a really high amp battery. Also make sure the cotton is snug (not tight) inside the coil so there's no hollowness.

Sent via Tapatalk from my ipad

Yeah 2 x .8 ohm coils. Think I could just single coil it?

Yes definitely too low resistance especially if you don't know the specs of the battery. You'll blow yourself up! Should check that it can even handle .8

Apart from that so long as cotton is wet and the right amount there's no reason it should be burnt unless you are still using scorched cotton.

Sent via Tapatalk from my ipad

after i prime the sides on my kayfun i just drip on the coil and literally tap the firing button and it sucks the juice straight thru the coil, i do that about 4-5 times untill i can see the wick unable to hold anymore juice. I caught that from this dude in the video @ 9min30sec

AVF Regular
    Where in melbs are you? Might be able to help you out in person if you're close.

$3642 Spent on Vaping

Jay
    AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fungusfiend View Post
    I also just realised I'm using pre-made 0.8ohm coils from Vapeking. This might be a problem huh? I actually thought I ordered the 1.4 ohm ones
    FYI: I've bought some of those pre-made coils too recently. For me most of them read 0.6 ohms. So you're vaping at 0.3ohms. If you're using a mechanical, invest in an ohm meter for your own safety! Also have a read about battery safety. It shouldn't be taken lightly. I'd also grab some fresh good quality batteries (ie Sony VTC5's).

cheers

Note: $$$ saved is not true as I now spend it all (plus more) on vaping gear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast