Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: My first box build re SX350

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Post My first box build re SX350

I've been eager to build a box mod using a SX350 board and after a few snags finally got it finished.

I bought a box from jaycar but felt a touch big in the hand and really liked the feel of the hana sized box's.
    So ordered an empty FT hana and decided to modify it.

After doing a fair bit of research on here and other forums I picked up a fair few ideas so its far from original, its far from perfect but it works and feels great.
    Big thanks to those that shared\posted their Ideas + builds on this and other forums, it really helped me with mine.

I had many issues along the way, obviously getting the screen to fit was an issue and then the 510 connector I used (Varitube spring loaded) was a headache.
    The thread on the 510 is 10mm x 0.5mm so finding a hand tap for that size thread is near impossible or practicable money wise.
    So there was a lot of stuffing around fitting that and I copied a method from a blog I found here SX350 In Hana Clone Box - Imgur

I also decided to give mine a carbon fibre vinyl wrap and upgrade the wire gauge to 18g.
    I looked at anti vandal switches but it just seemed to tight a fit, but I may add one at a later date if the clicky button annoys me.
    I had to put in more glue than I thought i would need and probably should have shortened the switch wires to keep it neater too.
    But having up\down switches for me was a must have as I'm almost 100% of the time using deep welled RDA's.

One thing that I will change that will be easy to do later is the battery holder, at the moment I'm still running the stock FT hana one.
    I haven't been able to find a suitable quality one around (I need to do a bit more research to find or make a good one myself)

All in all its a little rough but for my first attempt I'm quite happy and relieved its finally done + working.
    I learnt quite a bit in regards to what would make things easier and work better for my next build although I'm not in a hurry to make another just yet.

A big thing I learned was how we have a serious lack of quality DIY parts here and International suppliers often don't ship here.

Anyway here's a couple of pics
    (the varitube 510 really look sexy on these box's)

Last edited by vikodin; 19-09-14 at 04:08 PM.
    Robray, giruvian and DEATHGUYJ like this.
    Cheers
    Jaryd

AVF Regular
    I like to see their insides.

X 2 what the budgie said.
    steve.c likes this.

I have no special talent____I am just passionately curious!
    I'm not MAD_____ I am GIFTED....

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigmann View Post
    Budgie? Bloody blind scooters.

AVF Regular
    Love it vikodin! Great job! + 1 more for inside shots!

AVF Regular
    nice! Looks great! If you are doing a next build, I suggest going to 14g wires instead of just 18g. The recommended for the sx350 boards are now 16g and the new chips come at 16g. If you try firing your mod at 50w on a 0.5ohm and you are getting 10w/50w/10w/50w, you are hitting the amp limit on those cables. Also, the new 60w upgrade has been released so you might wanna try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakor View Post
    I like to see their insides.
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Love it vikodin! Great job! + 1 more for inside shots!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigmann View Post
    Wow I feel like the virgin that's going to drop his pants in front of his first girlfriend on a cold day .

Bit embarrassed about this inside, there is a lot of wire I could of shortened but was thinking that I may want to redo it in the future and maybe add different switches and the hot glue is very excessive. If I thought it was going to be permanent I would have gone with epoxy.
    One of the switches moved after my first attempt with minimal glue so I redid them with an amount a bomb wouldn't move.

Robray, DEATHGUYJ and Tigmann like this.
    Cheers
    Jaryd

AVF Regular
    Thanks for dropping your pants vikodin! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say "we appreciate it!"

I can't see anything you need to be embarrassed about, I still love it!

AVF Regular
    Looks good vikodin. Next build - dual 18650!

Quote Originally Posted by urecia View Post
    nice! Looks great! If you are doing a next build, I suggest going to 14g wires instead of just 18g. The recommended for the sx350 boards are now 16g and the new chips come at 16g. If you try firing your mod at 50w on a 0.5ohm and you are getting 10w/50w/10w/50w, you are hitting the amp limit on those cables. Also, the new 60w upgrade has been released so you might wanna try that.
    Thanks for the heads up pity I didn't read anything lately or it would have made sense to do it with 14g.
    It's going to be a big job to upgrade the wiring on this as the 510 is epoxied in and the neg is soldered directly to it.
    Its doable if I drill it out more but I think for future firmware over 50w I'll would probably start looking at building another mod to run 2 batteries anyway.
    So far I've heard mixed reviews on the 60w firmware so I'll pod along with this at 50w for the time being.
    My current .78 ohm build fires fine at 50w but I might make a few lower test builds to see how it performs.
    Cheers
    Jaryd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast