Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Fox's Box

Fox's Box

Hi guy's,
    This is my first box mod so i thought id share my work in progress, its a dual 18650 mosfet box.
    i have been lurking through many forums/reddit and brushing up on my electrical knowledge and soldering skills (tafe course finally coming in handy many years later :P )
    I sourced almost everything locally, box, switches, mosfet, volt meter and a sweet 3d printed battery holder! cheers DEATHGUYJ!
    The batterys and 510 are the only things i had to order off the net and should be arriving in the next day or so

Anyway here it is so far!
    Getting everything prepped and ready.

So after picking up the Battery sled i got a bit excited and had to make a start. Its Alive!

that's enough for tonight heading to bed!

Edit: Just realized in my excitement / sleepy daze i was supposed to have the sled up the other way, glad auto pilot me knew what he was doing!
    Last edited by Nullfoxx; 22-09-14 at 03:26 AM.
    Robray, DEATHGUYJ, steve.c and 3 others like this.

AVF Regular
    looking good what 510 did you go with?

aussie squonk box - the punisher - sig 100 watt - tesla series modded - vampire 26650 - modded chana - kamry 200 watt
    my etsy DEATHware

Just an el-cheepo, was going to get a fatdaddy or chi you topcap but i might save that for the next project.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Nullfoxx View Post
    Just an el-cheepo, was going to get a fatdaddy or chi you topcap but i might save that for the next project.
    Good onya mate it looks like your mods gonna be a real cracker The fatdaddys a real quality looking 510. Ive used the chi yu on one of my mods and its certainly a heavy duty connector but a bit of a pita to put in if you haven't done it before.
    Nullfoxx likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Good onya mate it looks like your mods gonna be a real cracker The fatdaddys a real quality looking 510. Ive used the chi yu on one of my mods and its certainly a heavy duty connector but a bit of a pita to put in if you haven't done it before.
    Hopefully it all works out ok, i can imagine what can go wrong drilling out a 20-21mm hole for the chi you because i got a bit heavy handed drilling the button out and it started chattering and came out square haha nothing a bit of bog and dremel work couldnt fix.

Just an update i have it all together in the box working minus the 510, but enamel paint is the bane of my existence at the moment, no matter what i do or how clean i have my makeshift booth i cant get a decent paintjob. when i finally did get a good finish my clearcoat wont stick properly to it and moves around when your hands heat it back up ( its fully dry just a clearcoat for lexan plastic ).

So the project for today is to take it apart and sand it back and try again with some acrylic and some lacquer maby? seems like were getting a few days of 25c so should be ideal conditions to get it cured properly.

AVF Regular
    I use these for drilling the holes, get em from Bunnings for about 15 bucks for a set of 3 with differing sizes, my biggest one goes to 22mm

Nullfoxx, DEATHGUYJ and Tigmann like this.
    *I Use Clones*

Looking good Nullfoxx. What box are you using ?
    Also be carefull putting acrylic over enamel (if you do not remove all the enamel) it could end up being a wrinkle finish.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Olfella View Post
    Looking good Nullfoxx. What box are you using ?
    Also be carefull putting acrylic over enamel (if you do not remove all the enamel) it could end up being a wrinkle finish.
    the box is a hammond 1590b, i have just sanded it back to bare alloy cleaned and prepared it for priming, Im using a etching primer but i dont know what paints to use now and a bit confused as to how to get a good finish as i dont have a way to bake anything.
    any advice on what paint and lacquer to use?

Looks good mate. You have two options with painting it. You can go to Bunnings and get some White Knight fast dry spray enamel in a colour of your choice and a they do a clear cote as well. Or go to Super cheap and buy some Septone spray can acrylic laqcuer in colour and clear. I have used both with great results. With the spray cans I find if you sit the can in a container of hot water( tap water not boiling) it makes the paint flow better and gives a better gloss.

Hope this helps. Now off to annoy death guy for some of those battery sleds.
    Nullfoxx and DEATHGUYJ like this.

I have no special talent____I am just passionately curious!
    I'm not MAD_____ I am GIFTED....

Nothing wrong with using enamel it just takes ages to truly harden ( unless you spend big bucks for an additive but even then at least 24 hours ).
    wow even using etching primer,impressed ! (seriously)
    I am sure some people harden theirs in their kitchen oven ,just do it when the boss ain't gonna be around for a while
    But still it will be soft underneath for a few days at least,so go easy with it.
    Acrylic is easier to work with but you need to cut and compound/polish when dry.
    Take this information with a grain of salt,I am a spraypainter by trade but been out of the game many years.

And what Tigmann says is spot on ! I only use spray cans these days
    Nullfoxx, DEATHGUYJ and Tigmann like this.
    I VAPE = I LIVE

Started Vaping at 16:00 hrs on 11th April 2013...
    Saved poop loads of $ not buying stinkies since then.
    Spending poop loads of $ on shinies and juice etc since then
    But now I am happy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast