Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Here I go again WTB a Mill and or min Lathe, Advice needed please.

AVF Regular

Here I go again WTB a Mill and or min Lathe, Advice needed please.

Hi Folks,
    the bug just won't die, yet again I am considering getting some tooling together, mainly to make box mods (mainly Aluminium, Brass and wood), but also to make other small parts and maybe even a decent bottom fed atty (how hard can it be to create something that outperforms an Igo-L, has a dished juice well,allows for singe coil and dual coil with both airholes towards on side of the atty,doesn't whisle through it's leaky airflow control system,doesn't heat up and hold heat like a fire brick while being huge and weighing a tonne (insert "Veritas" here) , yes I will want to cut threads, and work SS large enough for a 20-22mm atty, or at least machine/modify an existing atty.
    I know I have asked advice on this issue before, but cash dried up and then my photography business went berserk.
    Time has passed, new units may have come out,
    I don't really have a workshop at present and will be moving home soon, to who knows where, with unknown workspace, but all these unknowns seem like just another excuse to not bite the bullet and get some compact machine that will allow my creativity to bear deserved fruit.
    I have around a $1000 to throw at the Idea right now, and would love to hear from anyone with useful experience on the matter, and to discuss the "current" purchasing options and tooling packages.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Paging GT.......
    studiovape likes this.
    Pipes, tubes, boxes, atomisers.

ECHO ALPHA DELTA CHARLIE

AVF Regular
    This guy does some great reviews on mini lathes, Frank Hoose https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC89...6L3yzu60NP-4Tw

Also you can find the Seig lathes on eBay for around 850~900, they appear to be good quality

And Mr Gruffy has a mini lathe, have a chat with him.
    studiovape and Fatman like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fossil View Post
    This guy does some great reviews on mini lathes, Frank Hoose https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC89...6L3yzu60NP-4Tw

Also you can find the Seig lathes on eBay for around 850~900, they appear to be good quality

And Mr Gruffy has a mini lathe, have a chat with him.
    I have a Sieg C2 like this one for $679 with free postage. Very happy with it and plenty of accessories available for reasonable prices.

Not a mill.
    For rough milling I have an x y vice like this one think I got it from mcjingtools. Just use my pedestal drill and the right bits, awaiting proper workshop setup still.
    studiovape, Fatman, akef38 and 1 others like this.

I had the same mini lathe, great piece of kit.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks for your reply mr G
    Would you day it's capable of machining 22mm ss, and what made you go for this over the non brushless version, and where do you get your accessories from?
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Nice lathe for the price. And an xy vice? Damn why didnt i think of that! Ebay here i come

Super Moderator
    I have eff all personal knowledge with this stuff , wish I did ... but I reckon Billyboy69 might be worth chucking a PM at too ... hes right into the DIY versions of CNC's as best I can recall ?
    Might have some pearls of wisdom to throw your way ?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Aurora labs in Australia a suppose to be releasing a 3d printer that can print in 20 different types of metals for under 4G.
    studiovape likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    Thanks for your reply mr G
    Would you day it's capable of machining 22mm ss, and what made you go for this over the non brushless version, and where do you get your accessories from?
    No ... not from scratch anyway. There is not enough "meat" in that lathe to overcome chatter, you'll end up with a wavy finish no matter how small the cut is (although if you cylindrically grind it afterwards, or "brush" the finish, that won't matter too much). For 22mm diameter material, you'll want a headstock bore of 26mm, which means even buying Chinese, you won't get much change out of $2K (new).

If all you want to do is modify an existing atty, then the toy pictured above *might* do it. Remember though, we are talking SS here.

Now for mills: PM billyboy (I don't have one yet).
    studiovape, Fatman, akef38 and 1 others like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast