• 1 Post By Sully
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 2 Post By Sully
  • 3 Post By Tara

Thread: 3D CAD/3D Modelling

AVF Regular

3D CAD/3D Modelling

Hi Guys

First of all I just want to say I don't want to step on anyone's toes so if this thread is gonna do that, feel
    free to remove it. Or feel free to let me know and I will have it removed.

I just want to offer my services (for free and within reason) to anyone that needs any CAD or 3D modelling
    done. For example, if you have an idea of something you want to get printed but don't know how to do the
    modelling, I can help

In an effort to be transparent I want to say that you will be helping me too. I don't feel as though I'm being
    taught enough CAD with my studies and Id like to expand my skills in that department or at the very least,
    practice. Lately I'm struggling to think of interesting things to model off the top of my head so this could help
    everyone.

I don't want to be doing the designs so please have that part already taken care of beforehand. I also have
    a full time study workload so I wont be able to help with anything that's going to take days and days and of
    course, that will have to come first.

Feel free to PM me if you would like some help or ask in here. Small - medium projects are welcome.
    Robray, gtadmin, CCVaper and 5 others like this.

AVF Regular
    battery stands/dispensers
    tank stands
    juice racks
    that should be enough to have members first borns offered for sacrifice (you can have mine Ill pay freight :P JOKING!)
    despite being a technician for longer then I care to remember, I can use pretty much any graphics software but so often have trouble with 3D modelling!
    Tara likes this.
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

Cat
    AVF Regular
    That's very nice of you Tara, thank you.
    Tara likes this.
    Be Realistic. Plan for a Miracle.

Quit smoking 22 Sep 16

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    Hi Guys

First of all I just want to say I don't want to step on anyone's toes so if this thread is gonna do that, feel
    free to remove it. Or feel free to let me know and I will have it removed.

I just want to offer my services (for free and within reason) to anyone that needs any CAD or 3D modelling
    done. For example, if you have an idea of something you want to get printed but don't know how to do the
    modelling, I can help

In an effort to be transparent I want to say that you will be helping me too. I don't feel as though I'm being
    taught enough CAD with my studies and Id like to expand my skills in that department or at the very least,
    practice. Lately I'm struggling to think of interesting things to model off the top of my head so this could help
    everyone.

I don't want to be doing the designs so please have that part already taken care of beforehand. I also have
    a full time study workload so I wont be able to help with anything that's going to take days and days and of
    course, that will have to come first.

Feel free to PM me if you would like some help or ask in here. Small - medium projects are welcome.
    That's very nice of you
    What software are you using for your modelling at the moment? Solidworks/inventor/3dsmax?
    I don't know how much help I'll be but I do 3D modelling FT but for buildings so it's a different software but most likely same/similar concept. Well I do have Cura 2.1 software installed on my computer so I can probably figure it out. So I'll offer to help out if you're busy but no guarantee as most days i have my hands full looking after a baby and a toddler...lol

Anyone else that wants to give 3D modelling a go for printing 3D objects..TinkerCAD has an browser 3d modelling application which you can play with.

EDIT: Just noticed Tara post is 2 years old.
    Tara, how's the progress in your 3D modelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    battery stands/dispensers
    tank stands
    juice racks
    that should be enough to have members first borns offered for sacrifice (you can have mine Ill pay freight :P JOKING!)
    despite being a technician for longer then I care to remember, I can use pretty much any graphics software but so often have trouble with 3D modelling!
    Tank stands?
    Multi Atty Stand: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/atty-stand
    single Atty Stand: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/va...zer-stand-22mm

Battery Stand/dispensers?
    18650 Holder: https://www.makexyz.com/3d-models/or...e125ca5c0e60d4

Juice Racks/stand/holder?
    bottle: Dropper paint bottle holder by jonpvogel - Thingiverse
    bottle: Bottle rack by ripper - Thingiverse
    bottle: Stepped bottle rack- vacuum forming mold by nickdisney - Thingiverse

How about an all in one? LOL
    All in one: Vape desk tidy v2 by sirhc - Thingiverse

Resources I find very handy and useful if anyone else is looking:

Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
    https://www.tinkercad.com/beta
    https://www.youmagine.com
    https://pinshape.com/3d-marketplace
    STL Finder | The 3D models search engine
    yeggi - Printable 3D Models Search Engine
    Vape 3D models for 3D printing | makexyz.com

Thingiverse being the best resources I've found but tinkercad and youmagine is pretty good as well.

Cheers,
    Tez
    Last edited by iamtezr; 13-02-17 at 05:34 PM.
    Tara likes this.

Yuz
    Might start a club lol

I'm also into product design / development using CAD & Inventor for the last ten years but yet to convince myself to buy a 3D printer... Should get with the times

This site is also good for resources: CAD Forum - CAD/BIM Library of free blocks - for AutoCAD, Revit, Inventor
    Tara likes this.

AVF Regular
    Great links there Tez, just gotta check the copyright on creative commons,
    Ive for 3.5 3D printers and cannot legally sell any of those designs because of that, I need to get off my bum and learn the software
    I don't know the legality of making things for cost of materials only and I don't want myself in the poo, AVF in the poo cos Ive had enough of poo, esp poo flavoured juice from my first experience at buying vaping stuffs before I found here!
    hope that makes sense, 2.5 hrs in traffic getting home me is tired and off to do dad thing making dinner!
    iamtezr likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Great links there Tez, just gotta check the copyright on creative commons,
    Ive for 3.5 3D printers and cannot legally sell any of those designs because of that, I need to get off my bum and learn the software
    I don't know the legality of making things for cost of materials only and I don't want myself in the poo, AVF in the poo cos Ive had enough of poo, esp poo flavoured juice from my first experience at buying vaping stuffs before I found here!
    I don't see it as commercial use, and you are allowed to recover reasonable costs as long as there is no profit motive. In this case you are generating prints for members of a "club or society" (I believe that's the legalese) - AVF. There is no commercial use intended. Unfortunately the CC-BY-NC license does not give a definition for "commercial use" but by common definition, you'd have to be doing the activity with a profit motive - either directly by charging more than the cost of production, or indirectly such as using them as a promotional tool to further a business or commercial interest.

I did find this statement from a copyright author:
    Quote Originally Posted by https://www.quora.com/Creative-Commons-Can-I-sell-a-photo-that-has-a-CC-License
    The NC clause is problematic, since commercial use is not specified in the license text or in the law. Most large institutions that use NC licenses actually have an additional explanation as to what they mean by commercial use (which they prohibit). See the MIT's OCW for example: http://ocw.mit.edu/terms/#noncomm and the xkcd web-comic for another, quite different definition: http://xkcd.com/license.html

If in doubt, contact the author and ask them if what you're planning is ok.
    He makes a good point that it should be possible to contact the "author" and ask them if it's OK to proceed in this way. It does mean you have to do it for each design (or at least each "author") for designs that you want to use.

I also looked at the linked definition from MIT for the term non-commercial as it pertains to CC-NC works:

Quote Originally Posted by https://ocw.mit.edu/terms/#noncomm
    MIT Interpretation of "Non-commercial"

Non-commercial use means that users may not sell, profit from, or commercialize OCW materials or works derived from them. The guidelines below are intended to help users determine whether or not their use of OCW materials would be permitted by MIT under the "non-commercial" restriction. Note that there are additional requirements (attribution and share alike) spelled out in our license.

Commercialization is prohibited. Users may not directly sell or profit from OCW materials or from works derived from OCW materials.

Example: A commercial education or training business may not offer courses based on OCW materials if students pay a fee for those courses and the business intends to profit as a result.
    Determination of commercial vs. non-commercial purpose is based on the use, not the user. Materials may be used by individuals, institutions, governments, corporations, or other business whether for-profit or non-profit so long as the use itself is not a commercialization of the materials or a use that is directly intended to generate sales or profit.

Example: A corporation may use OCW materials for internal professional development and training purposes.
    Incidental charges to recover reasonable reproduction costs may be permitted. Recovery of nominal actual costs for copying small amounts (under 1000 copies) of OCW content on paper or CDs is allowed for educational purposes so long as there is no profit motive and so long as the intended use of the copies is in compliance with all license terms. Students must be informed that the materials are freely available on the OCW Web site and that their purchase of copied materials is optional.

Example: An institution in a remote area has limited Internet access and limited network infrastructure on campus, and a professor offers to create CDs of OCW materials relevant to her course. The professor may recover the costs of creating the CDs.

If you have questions about acceptable use of OCW materials, please contact us.

Again, you can always contact the creator of the works to see if what you intend is considered by them to be non-commercial. It shouldn't be any more difficult than shooting off an email and waiting for a reply.

Material cost would be easy - by weight would be simple. You should also include wear and tear. Cost of replacing release paper, nozzles, guides and other maintenance parts. These 3D printers do not keep running forever, they need constant maintenance and tinkering to keep them in spec. (Just stating the obvious for anyone else following along).

ETA: if the site allows for attaching the actual license file to the download (it has to, I think) have a look at the licence file and see if the creator has added a similar defintion for commercial use as in the above MIT document, or any other guidelines for use. It's possible it's already been covered.

ETAD again: the NC license would also prohibit the receiver of the item from on-selling for profit, naturally. That's how CC works - it's self perpetuating. Just sayin' :-)
    Last edited by fabricator4; 13-02-17 at 08:41 PM.
    iamtezr likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    We guys I'm happy to print stuffs for peoples, for me itd also be a way of giving back to this community,
    Keep in mind, I wont be doing it for profit, I'm a dad with two food hungry teenagers who eat me out of house and home,
    and I kinda like my wife and occasionally spending time with her too :P
    As long as costs are met, say for a battery stand thingy is 5 bucks too much?

*scratching head and vaping*
    Tara and iamtezr like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtezr View Post
    That's very nice of you
    What software are you using for your modelling at the moment? Solidworks/inventor/3dsmax?
    I don't know how much help I'll be but I do 3D modelling FT but for buildings so it's a different software but most likely same/similar concept. Well I do have Cura 2.1 software installed on my computer so I can probably figure it out. So I'll offer to help out if you're busy but no guarantee as most days i have my hands full looking after a baby and a toddler...lol

EDIT: Just noticed Tara post is 2 years old.
    Tara, how's the progress in your 3D modelling?

Cheers,
    Tez
    Honestly I've been 3D modelling in Cinema4D for years although I haven't done much of it for the last couple. I just
    wanted some more practice in CAD. (I use Solidworks mainly).

The reason this post has come up after so long is because I linked it in Sullys 3D printing thread to say the offer still
    stands. I have been too busy to do much so my CAD modelling is going very slowly
    gtadmin, AllyP and iamtezr like this.