Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RDA building- one coil fires faster?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

RDA building- one coil fires faster?

Hi guys,
    So Iv recently started venturing into the world of mechs and rda's. Have spent many hours reading various safety precautions and watching the standard YouTube tutorial videos (isn't that how everyone learns these days?).

So my first build I did watching a tube video and following along, made a fairly neat 0.3ohm dual coil setup..
    ( I think what I'm building is micro coils? I haven't seen a definitive answer anywhere maybe some one can clear this up for me...
    Micro coil = when your wraps all sit flush next to each other
    Not micro coil = when you leave a small space between each wrap so the coil is not touching itself?
    If that makes sense...)

Anyway that first build seemed to work great, both coils fired at the same time and heated up from the centre out.

So tonight I tried a build flying solo, all was going well wrapped 7 wraps of 24AWG around 2mm screwdriver and metered it out at around 0.3ohm
    But when I fired them up no matter how much fiddling with one of them I did I could not get it to match the speed at which the other one was firing...
    Now I pulled the "slow" one out and proceeded to wrap 4 more coils thinking my wrap was just poo.
    But no matter how meticulous I was with each coil they were all not firing at the same speed as the good one I had.

The build still metered at a comfortbable 0.3ohm so needless to say I rolled with it and continued wicking To reap the delicious reward of massive clouds once juiced up

I don't know enough on this yet to figure out why one is firing quicker then the other so I pose this question to you masters... Anybody have any thoughts?
    Hope I have given enough info and haven't rambled on too much.

Much thanks, much love, much vape
    Ferret
    *Chuckin it*

~~=<00OO

First up welcome to Re-building gets fun once you get it all down pat.

The reference of a micro coils is the Inner Diameter(ID) of it (Eg 2mm - 2.5mm)
    So if all the wraps are touching (contact coil) depending on the ID of the coils will be called either a nano, micro or a macro coil contact coil.
    If the wraps aren't touching most people would just call it a spaced coil.

As for the issues with your builds what you would more than likely need is first try practacing with thinner gauges and get some tweezers if you haven't already.

To get them to fire evenly heat up the coils on your mod then lit go of the firing button then pinch (not to hard) the coil that is lighting/heating up faster then the one that isn't. you can repeat this process on either coil until they are perfect, also moving them up and down with a screw driver can help.
    Browny likes this.

AVF Regular
    Also count the coils its not hard to miss your count and have one thats a wrap shorter than the other. Check your conections as well sometimes they loosen up after you fire them a couple of times.
    Browny and LimeB like this.
    My biggest fear is that I might die and my missus will sell my vape gear for what I told her it cost

Konstantinos Farsalinos Nothing will be offered to you. You have to fight for your rights....

AVF Regular
    All of the above but it could also just be that the coil your fiddling with, has had the heat sunk out of it by whatever tool your using to do the fiddling. I had this occur to me yesterday. One firing faster, Id scrape/brush it as I've seen in utube vids but it made it worse. So anyway I went to make a coffee, came back to it ten minutes later, the coils had cooled, both fired evenly on the next triggering.
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by coal miner View Post
    Also count the coils its not hard to miss your count and have one that's a wrap shorter than the other. Check your connections as well sometimes they loosen up after you fire them a couple of times.
    I have had this happen. Kept thinking the battery was flattening as the vape dropped off, but it was not so flat when I charged it.
    Then I noticed one coil was colder/ not going as red when I cleaned them. The outer post screw for that coil had become very loose somehow. I tightened it ( and checked the others too) and then it was as good as new. Now I will always check them when re-wicking or cleaning coils.

Wow thanks so much for the tips!
    Yeah on the 2nd/3rd/4th build of the slow coil I spent a lot of time making sure I had exactly the right amount of wraps and even installed it so that the wraps started top and bottom the same side as the "good" one haha as far as I can see it's as close to a mirror image as I could get.

So when I was building I have been using some small pliers to do the pinching however i was mainly pinching and fiddiling with the one that wasn't firing as fast as the "good" one.
    Should I have been fiddiling with the one that was faster to try and bring it's fire speed back to the same as the slow one instead?
    Here's a pic for reference (still with wicks because despite the different fire rates, I am loving the hit from this thing!!!)

Another unrelated question,
    How long do you guys usually expect to get vape time after making your wicks nice and moist?.. Hehe..
    I'm roughly getting about 7-10 decent full lung hits.
    Iv noticed the bottom of my wicks sitting in the resovior are still nice and juicy when the wick around the coils gets dry... Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Chuckin it*

~~=<00OO

AVF Regular
    In the first pic, the bottom coil appears to be further away from the centre post, so its legs must be longer than that of the top coil. Think you find the coil with the longer legs is the one taking longest to heat up?
    Mods~ VamoV2(PIFed),V5(x3(2 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Istick 20(Dead),30(x2(Both PIFed)),50(Dead),40TC(x2(1 PIFed, 1 Sold))*Vapor Shark rDNA40(Sold), DNA200(Traded), Flask V2.1(Sold)*IPV D2(x2(1 Dead, 1 Sold)),4S*eVic VT(x2(1 Dead, 1 PIFed)),VTC(x6(2 PIFed)*Sigelei 150W*Smok X-Cube II(Sold)*YiHi SX Mini M Class.*Wismec DNA200(x3),RX200(Sold)*eLeaf Pico, Pico Squeeze(x4)*CoV Wraith*Mechs ~ Genuine Phenom The Beast PVF Edition*Stingray X(x2)*Nemesis(x3)*King*Le Petit Gros(x3)*Kato*Black Hawk*Abaddon

AVF Regular
    Get a good multimeter and measure each coils resistance.

And in regards to your wicks drying up, you just need more juice in there. Really depends on the build etc, but 7 - 10 hits of something low ohm sounds about right.
    supporter of genuine mods and attys

Ah yeah it does look a bit longer, figured the extra mm wouldn't do too much to it hence I didn't try and even it up ( and possibly was just frustrated and over it for the night after the 4th try haha)
    And indeed it is the slow one, you can tell it's not as burned in( is that called oxidising?) as the one on top.

Good call stahly, only both of my meters only read to one decimal place (think its the 200 setting) so makes it difficult to get a very accurate reading, is it worth buying yet another meter for that specific task or just order an ohm meter for builds as I am planning to do on my next vape order?
    Maybe modify the meter to have 2 female header sockets connected for quick measurement of raw coils before they go in the build?
    Also good to hear that my wicking is not bad and it sounds about right for 7-10 hits

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    *Chuckin it*

~~=<00OO

AVF Regular
    Measuring such low ohms is never going to be acute unless you spend good money on a meter.

Cheers
    Midlife

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast