AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Smile Need Help with NES Mode Box

Hi I recently got into vaping and saw a NES Controller Mod and thought it looked awesome but Iím quite poor at the moment so I decided I would make one (yes I know how unoriginal nm)
    While Iíve done a bit of soldering here and there I really lack knowledge when it comes to batteries and most other things vaping related.

Firstly what chip to get the obvious choice would be a DNA 40 however I canít find any cheap clone chips and the really deal cost too much. IF anyone knew where I could get a Kangxin DNA 40 chip that would be amazing.
    The next choice on my list would be the DNA 30 however same issue and I also really would like at least 35W even though I rarely go that high 30w just seems a tad little that said if anyone new a cheap source that would be amazing!
    See that both these options were not great I started looking at YiHicigar chips and found the SX330 V1. This is a nice looking chip the screen looks like it would fit the traditional Nes screen position between the buttons, I assume I could just remove the on board buttons and wire up some new one like a DNA and the price is okish. The only other issue is the length of the board it looks a fair bit longer than even a DNA 30. Going of the screen both claim to be 0.96in screens making it almost x3 the length thus to long. Has anyone tried to put this in a DNA maybe I could go behind the buttons?? anyone know??
    YiHiEcigar SX330 V1 35W link
    $29.26 - Authentic YiHiEcigar SX330 V1 35W New Vapor Chip - Cigabuy

Look around on Cigabuy I also saw to really cheap hana style clones
    Hana Modz DNA30 Clone Variable Wattage APV Mod - CigaBuy.com
    Hana Modz DNA50 Clone Variable Wattage APV Mod - CigaBuy.com
    It occurred to me that I could just use the chip out of one of these and seeing that it comes all prewired up I would end up saving myself some work off course I would have to replace the buttons and probably the 510 but thatís all. The only risk is that it is all glued in and impossible to remove or the board is massive? Is transplant the innards of a cheap clone a terrible idea or will it work? This currently is probably my preferred choice as I get 50W and a 0.3ohm min what do you guys think!

Lastly Batteries this is a hard one firstly I really do not know whether all these batteries are compatible with all the chips I just mentioned especially the 50w one. When I looked at Littup custom mods the known Seller of the NES Mod Box they state that they have a ď2000 mAh 15c lithium-polymer battery packĒ (when they say 15c I assume that mean 15amp continuous current.) to power a DNA 40 Iíve been told to get 20amp + batteries but I assume its alright if these guys do it. I also assume there are using 2x these batteries in ParallelÖ I have seen other people use these batteries as well which make me confident

Turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 1S 15C Round Cell

another option although I doubt it would fit would be 20c 7.4v
    Turnigy nano-tech 1500mAh 2S 20-40C Lipo AIRSOFT Pack
    or
    Turnigy nano-tech 1500mAh 2S 20-40C Lipo AIRSOFT Pack
    These 20c rated batteries just seem a little too big does anyone know if these would fit or have a better option?

The current dims I have for the Nes controller are
    Width. - 17mm
    Length - 125mm
    Height - 55mm

Iím not sure if they are that accurate I assume the case is 1.2mm thick or so
    I assume the chip will take up 25mm? So this might fit what do you guys think these are 7.4V batteries vís the 3.4V of the 1000mah round cell batteries. Also I sort off understand the safety issues with these batteries (ie never over charge, never drain flat, never damage ect) is there a safer option than Lipoly Batteries that I could fit into such a small enclosure and still get a decent battery life??

So many questions any help would be great!! Sorry for the Massive post! Cheers

AVF Regular
    The LittUp customs DNA30 Nes mod which you mention state “2000 mAh 15c lithium-polymer battery pack”

is 2x Turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 1S 15C Round Cell, the first link about batteries you already mentioned.

They say 900 on the cell itself, but thats what it is. I dont know if the 1500's will fit and you would want to be sure if it can that it has the same, or better specifications for current,etc

Seems you are on the right track, although I don't think the price is too unreasonable on the genuine ones, its more the scarcity of securing one that's difficult. All of mine cost between $90(dna20 used) and $200(dna30 as-new) each.

Considering the battery type and degree of difficulty building one of these safely, not to mention the added design consideration to make the atty adapter secure and durable, i think the littup ones are the laziest, just takes some time for them to pop up on trade forums.

I dont think you will find a better battery option for a long time while the technology is as-is. The two turnigy batteries paired for usage and being recharged by the DNA usb seem to be quite safe, but every now and then I open my three up to be sure the cell is not swelling, these kinds of batteries will always swell overtime and having little room to expand, in the long term this makes them quite dangerous.

If i get to a point where I want to store my three for a very long term period of time, I think i will just cut out the batteries and re-tin the wires for when and if they are ever put back to use again.
    Last edited by qwertylesh; 22-06-15 at 11:44 PM.

Thanks for the reply!!
    Firstly I agree LittUp’s DNA NES mods are really quite reasonably priced from what I’ve seen the parts alone that he uses cost around $100 so $50 -100 for his time an effort is extremely reasonable. That all said I still don’t have much money and I have a long uni holiday to enjoy so why not build it myself!
    So I have sort increase the scope of the project (yes always a brilliant idea) anyway I’ve decided to try and opt for using normal 18650 battery knowing that I’m not a highly skilled solder and the dangers of lipo Batteries I thought that this was a preferable option. The plan is to reshape the back of the nes mod out by approximately 4mm. Then epoxy some magnets on both sides making a removable back so I can easily replace the battery.
    It’s meant to be ABS Plastic and I’ve seen plenty of people bend and melt ABS so with any luck this will work. I will either try this via place the plastic back over a pot of boiling water to heat it up then with a 2inch long piece of copper heated from above emboss a rounder battery shape hopefully 4mm deep or I might try putting it in the oven and melting out the shape that way. I’ve found some ABS in the house and will try both methods I think soon. Any recommendations would be great!

Option B is I use a spacer in the middle either a 3d printed shape or a could just ‘weld’ the back of the Nes controller with the backing plastic cut out onto another Back part of an NES controller this would also give me the space require but I would have to paint the back then as it would look ugly.

Roughly this – Always find this useful info only after I have worked it all out (sort off)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=behS2Cuz6nE

At this point of time I’m also opting for no battery charge as if the above works I will have no use for it and it’s just another cut where I can ruin the mod.
    I have started ordering parts so far I have order

1x fat Daddy 510 V4 - Low Profile 15.5mm shorty
    1x Keystone-1042-18650 Battery Holder – this is extremely low profile
    A large variety of magnets of Fasttech for a few dollars (+ a whole lot of pointless drip tips lol)
    2x NES controllers – Encase I stuff up!
    About to order 1 x Clone DNA 30 Chip – I have not seen widespread issues with the DNA 30 clone chips + it’s the only clone chip that I could find for sale Evolv still only sell their older chips at full price so there was no way I could get one for less than $60USD w/shipping. But this clone with shipping should only be around $25.
    And Then from Jcar
    Some tactile switches
    Clear Plastic to protect the Screen
    Some 20 & 24 gage wire
    Possible some fuses for extra Security I will see
    Heat shrink
    And that’s is it think

If the battery mod does not work I will just buy
    2 x 1000mah round Cell Lipo batteries + defiantly Fuses + USB charge
    Turnigy nano-tech 1000mah 1S 15C Round Cell

This battery is what they currently use in the LittUp mod as far as I can tell my first calculations did not include the width of the NES Plastic silly me so (3-4mm) – 17 = 14-13mm making this a perfect fit with 1mm of expansion room….
    It is shown in this video – I have no idea why it took so long to find you have no idea how many times I’ve searched a image of the inside of a LittUp mod!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxBed2Gok8k

Also the idea 7.4V battery would not work DNA chips can only handle 4.3V from what I’ve seen. I also thought off using NiMH AA batteries in series x4 + parallel x2 (so 8 all up) to give me 4.8V + 16amps?? (peak) but apparently unless you use 1.5ohm + coils the battery life is terrible of and it really would not work on a DNA Chip so nm that idea!

All Up its costed about $40USD excluding the stuff I will get from Jcar which should be cheap but I’m always spend more than I think I will there.

And sorry again for another epic post! And suggestion would be great I’m sure I’m missing something or something is not going to work!

And Thanks for posting that Pic 2 days ago i would have payed for that image!
    Last edited by DeadKaiser; 24-06-15 at 01:39 AM.

AVF Regular
    What's your location?

Quote Originally Posted by disley View Post
    What's your location?
    Mate i'm just next door to you.... just please collect my parcels as they come they will arrive hopeful next week just check my front door and letter box on a daily bases!!

No seriously why?? Whats the plan!
    Last edited by DeadKaiser; 25-06-15 at 04:57 AM.

Ok so i finally have my DNA 30 chips on there way in the mail after a serious struggle to communicate my order...... They never got my order right instead of Nichrome wire i got kanthal instead of 3 x dna 30 clones i got 2 but after 2 weeks of emails thats good enough for me lol

Anyway All parts are in the mail and should arrive in the next two weeks!!

I'll post parts and links once i figure out if it all works!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadKaiser View Post
    Ok so i finally have my DNA 30 chips on there way in the mail after a serious struggle to communicate my order...... They never got my order right instead of Nichrome wire i got kanthal instead of 3 x dna 30 clones i got 2 but after 2 weeks of emails thats good enough for me lol

Anyway All parts are in the mail and should arrive in the next two weeks!!

I'll post parts and links once i figure out if it all works!!
    Hi deadkaiser,

How did you go making this? I want to make it for my boyfriend for Christmas but I think it may be far beyond my expertise any advice would be so greatly appreciated