Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Which glue is best for gluing magnets?

AVF Regular

Which glue is best for gluing magnets?

Which glue is best for gluing magnets? To metal is what I have in mind first, to replace the screws in a mod battery cover so I can easily access the battery , but also to wood and plastic. Appreciate your tips.

AVF Regular
    Hubby uses superglue for the magnets in our mods. (That's to wood)
    akef38 and LimeB like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Grumpy Old man, Living inPerth Northern suburbs
    You might find some useful information here? I have had reasonable results with "Superglue" type stuff, only because I am to lazy to mix up epoxy!!

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp...odymum-magnets
    Browny likes this.
    Because I trust no-one Who tells me FACTS with no proof

AVF Regular
    i used a hot glue gun and they seem to stay put.

AVF Regular
    CA glue is pretty much the best to use, or a clear araldite, CA can be found here, CA Glue 45g - Woodturning Tools and Timber, Woodturner Accessories, Woodcarver Supplies, Woodturning Equipment just beware the fumes, thin drys in seconds, thick is better to work with it gives you a bit longer for drying time.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pcan68 View Post
    CA glue is pretty much the best to use, or a clear araldite, CA can be found here, CA Glue 45g - Woodturning Tools and Timber, Woodturner Accessories, Woodcarver Supplies, Woodturning Equipment just beware the fumes, thin drys in seconds, thick is better to work with it gives you a bit longer for drying time.
    I looked at this a while back and I thought that CA and superglue had the same chemical makeup. Are they different.
    pcan68 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    I looked at this a while back and I thought that CA and superglue had the same chemical makeup. Are they different.
    "Cyanoacrylate (C5H5NO2) is an acrylic resin that cures almost instantly. The only trigger, or catalyst, it requires are the hydroxyl ions in water. Since almost any substrate you may want to glue will at least have trace amounts of water on it's surface CA will adhere to most anything.

When CA comes into contact with water it undergoes a process called anionic polymerization. In short this simply means the CA molecules start heating up and linking up into chains and these chains start whipping around to form a durable plastic mesh. The glue thickens and hardens until the thrashing molecule strands can no longer move. The Thin products do this very quickly and the thicker flavors will take longer"

Also a big difference is purity and viscosity, Thin CA will go off in seconds, superglue will not, plus if you add brass or copper powder or sawdust into the mix the bonding is even quicker and even more stronger.
    Robray, Browny and LimeB like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pcan68 View Post
    "Cyanoacrylate (C5H5NO2) is an acrylic resin that cures almost instantly. The only trigger, or catalyst, it requires are the hydroxyl ions in water. Since almost any substrate you may want to glue will at least have trace amounts of water on it's surface CA will adhere to most anything.

When CA comes into contact with water it undergoes a process called anionic polymerization. In short this simply means the CA molecules start heating up and linking up into chains and these chains start whipping around to form a durable plastic mesh. The glue thickens and hardens until the thrashing molecule strands can no longer move. The Thin products do this very quickly and the thicker flavors will take longer"

Also a big difference is purity and viscosity, Thin CA will go off in seconds, superglue will not, plus if you add brass or copper powder or sawdust into the mix the bonding is even quicker and even more stronger.
    Got it. Thanks. My eyes glazed over when I started looking haha that's a more me type of explanation.
    pcan68 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Superglue is a form of CA (the superglue is just the Trade Name .. Kinda like Colourbond )
    But the superglue you buy in tubes is an impure formula with additives depending on what you want to do with it ..i.e. slower setting , gel. blah blah ... also it helps with still being able to get your fingers apart LOL you get a seconds grace , unlike the real CA which as PC says is almost instantaneous !

ZAP! is a brand well known to Model Aircraft guys .. it works well , and takes fillers nicely like Paul says
    it is also batch customised for different needs .. like gap filling etc

Edit actually looking at that bottle Paul linked its the same shape as the old bottles of Zap! with a different label lol
    Last edited by Fatman; 20-08-15 at 02:16 PM.
    pcan68 likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    LimeB likes this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast