Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: New Ultra mini 18650 Mosfet Squonker last of breed...

AVF Regular

New Ultra mini 18650 Mosfet Squonker last of breed...

Here are some pics of the last squonker I will build,,, without the use of my new mill ,which is still in it's box after nearly a month of it arriving, work has been so hectic I've had to burn the candle at both ends and the middle to get this last one done with only my cronky old pillar drill, angle grinder and sander. I wanted it to be special to mark the end of one era and the start of another.
    I wanted to build the shortest Squonker yet and incorporate brass or bronze top and bottom to have thin (2.8mm) top and bottom and the combination of bronze and my old friend the Queens ebony wood.
    I spent a lot of time researching brasses and bronzes and decided to use Aluminium Bronze for it's tarnish resistance, but I couldn't source any plate in this country or abroad for less that stupid money, so I settled on Silicon Bronze for it's superior conductivity and slightly better corrosion resistance than copper and brass.
    I also researched the hell out of bonding copper alloys to oily tropical hardwood, this is probably one of the most challenging combinations possible for obvious reasons ( expansion and contraction under temp, oily dense hardwood not absorbing glue, copper corrosion and tarnishing breaking down bond surface etc etc.)
    I though I had found the answer with G-Flex marine epoxy, and it is a great glue, but i had a nagging feeling I was going to regret not going for a partial mechanical fastening, hence the tiny brass wood screws drilled in and soldered to the bronze plate top and bottom, all epoxied up this is a supper strong join that will bear some proper rough and tumble (god forbid, but it does happen)
    All what looks like milling was done with a metal burr in the pillar drill with aluminium flats clamped onto the pillar drill table for guides.
    Finish was a *****, less said about that process the better

[IMG]Build Part1Low Res by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Build Part2Low Res by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Build Part3Low Res by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]Finished by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Vaping since July 2012.

Super Moderator
    Beautiful work as usual SV You must be pleased with it
    studiovape and bk_renesis like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Thanks GT, yes I'm pretty pleased, i will be glad to get on the mill and play with one of my 34 stabilsed burl blocks though, I used up the last of my ebony, and had to laminate two thin sheets together with eh G-flex to get the thickness I wanted for the door and the back (this was also done to increase strength and reduce the likelihood of warping particularly for the door). the idea of milling out of one piece Yay! Soo much quicker and easier to get a structurally sold piece at the end that will not spring apart after a fall.
    gtadmin and bk_renesis like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    That's very nice... do you ever sell some of the mods you make? That thing is amazing!
    studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by IvanDOTJ View Post
    That's very nice... do you ever sell some of the mods you make? That thing is amazing!
    Thanks Ivan, I have sold a few to local friends, but not recently, but that's really what buying the mill was about and the 34 blocks of stabilised burl, some will remember a while back I more than hinted I would be doing a small production run of 10-20 BF mosfet mods, but I was let down buy the CNC guy who had promised to do some of the initial machining of the burl blocks for me. after months of phone calls visits and frustration I decided to buy a mill, learn how to use it and slowly start creating limited numbers for sale, as I said the mill is still in the crate it arrived in, but the plan is still in play.
    Fatman and bk_renesis like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Great work as always I am sure that there are quite a few of us here that cn help you set up a mill
    studiovape likes this.
    I Squonk therefore I vape

AVF Regular
    Well done and well thought out. Looks great
    studiovape and bk_renesis like this.
    FREE eJuice Calculator mix Nic strengths and flavor recipes. Recipes included. Mod Building

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    Thanks Ivan, I have sold a few to local friends, but not recently, but that's really what buying the mill was about and the 34 blocks of stabilised burl, some will remember a while back I more than hinted I would be doing a small production run of 10-20 BF mosfet mods, but I was let down buy the CNC guy who had promised to do some of the initial machining of the burl blocks for me. after months of phone calls visits and frustration I decided to buy a mill, learn how to use it and slowly start creating limited numbers for sale, as I said the mill is still in the crate it arrived in, but the plan is still in play.
    Hmmm that's really good to know, hehe x1 when they start production

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgtail View Post
    Great work as always I am sure that there are quite a few of us here that cn help you set up a mill
    Billyboy689 has been a great help via PM, no one local though as far as I am aware.
    gtadmin, Fatman and bk_renesis like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Looks super smart SV.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast