Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pcan68
  • 1 Post By Crisscross

Thread: Timber finish need help

AVF Regular

Timber finish need help

I have just received some timber to make Drip tips from and am unsure as to what is a safe finish to apply to them .
    I Squonk therefore I vape

Super Moderator
    Dont hold me to it, as there are far better and more recent woodworkers than me around the traps , but Beeswax, or vegetable oils, should be ok , and probably polyurethane or a hard set acrylic ( allow adequate curing time )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Super Moderator
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Thin CA Glue will provides a clear waterproof barrier

Edit Once cured various glues are inert and are considered food safe. I also know other drip tip manufacturers using wood are also using CA glues.
    Last edited by pcan68; 28-10-15 at 11:23 AM.
    Fatman likes this.

AVF Regular
    Don't look at us. We would not use wood for driptips. I am too allergic to many finishes that it's too hard.

But do agree with pcan. Finish needs to be acrylic based to seal the wood (inside and out) from moisture and eliquid condensation.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Thanks every one i wasn't sure of ca whether it would be inert when its dry . Crisscross are there any timbers that should not be used ?
    I Squonk therefore I vape

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wedgtail View Post
    Thanks every one i wasn't sure of ca whether it would be inert when its dry . Crisscross are there any timbers that should not be used ?
    I found a heap of information on the pen turning forums. I didn't keep any of it because most of what we use is limb fall local gums and wattles. Our rule of thumb was don't use oily woods. They continue to leech and also mess up all your sanding sheets and machinery.
    wedgtail likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011