Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Magnetic Stirrer for DIY

AVF Regular

Magnetic Stirrer for DIY

I am reluctant to do full build documentation for this one, as it involves 240vac. However there are many tutorials on YouTube, and if anyone wants a complete write up on my build, I certainly can do one...........

!WARNING! PC POWER SUPPLIES CAN STILL GIVE YOU A NASTY SHOCK, EVEN WHEN TURNED OFF AND DISCONNECTED FROM THE POWER POINT!
    This MOD was done completely from parts I found in my shed, so cost = $0.00. The only things I had to buy were the Magnetic Stirring Bars and some Glass Beakers.
    Parts used:
    1 x old pc power supply with fan - found in shed
    1 x old PC fan speed controller - found in shed
    1 x miscellaneous LEDs and Resistors - found in shed
    1 x piece of perspex - found in shed

AVF Regular
    You don't need a 240v power supply (might just be overdoing it)....

I made one of these with just a PC cooling fan, perspex, a couple of little round magnets, a 9v battery and a potentiometer (fan speed controller).

Just stick the magnets on 2 opposing blades of the cooling fan, and the rest as above... except 9v.
    Fatman, laurie9300 and steve.c like this.

Super Moderator
    Ima wait for the V8 version

( but seriously Laurie .. that's some top shelf stuff right there... double thumbs up )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Thanks guys!

I know there is no need for a 400W power supply to run a PC fan, the whole point was, all this crap has been sitting in my shed for years, now it has a use!

This power supply was perfect for the job, as it has a nice, top mounted fan and a nice shiny case. I just added the magnets (also from the shed) and the leds, so it looks perdy, and I can easily see if it's running...........

I put some spacers between the fan and the perspex top plate, so the fan has some airflow and not trying to create a vacuum all the time. This also gives the power supply some cooling, even though it's not working too hard.
    Crisscross, Fatman and Northerner like this.

AVF Regular
    Er, could someone explain to me how this works? Looks cool though. Great work as usual Laurie
    laurie9300 likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    Er, could someone explain to me how this works? Looks cool though. Great work as usual Laurie
    https://youtu.be/IwyAbkMMza8

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Thanks guys!

I know there is no need for a 400W power supply to run a PC fan, the whole point was, all this crap has been sitting in my shed for years, now it has a use!

This power supply was perfect for the job, as it has a nice, top mounted fan and a nice shiny case. I just added the magnets (also from the shed) and the leds, so it looks perdy, and I can easily see if it's running...........

I put some spacers between the fan and the perspex top plate, so the fan has some airflow and not trying to create a vacuum all the time. This also gives the power supply some cooling, even though it's not working too hard.
    It's all there, even the switch... you could easily mod it to be 9v and keep your great aesthetics. Would be portable then too. hmmmm... I really like your design mate.

Great job
    Crisscross and laurie9300 like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Thanks guys!

As a bonus Laurie you could use it to run a plethora of 12V gear , or even power a battery charger for your vape gear ( most have 12V inputs these days ) .... you could even put a small say reptile heater pad on top and warm steep ?
    ( full of ideas tonight lol )
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    As a bonus Laurie you could use it to run a plethora of 12V gear , or even power a battery charger for your vape gear ( most have 12V inputs these days ) .... you could even put a small say reptile heater pad on top and warm steep ?
    ( full of ideas tonight lol )
    I did consider including a heater, I didn't research much but I fails to find a 12v one. Reptile heater eh? Google here I come..........
    Crisscross likes this.

Super Moderator
    DC 12V 50 110C Heat Cool Thermostat Digital Temperature Control Switch Sensor | eBay

PLUS

12V Universal Motorbike Warm Heat Heated Grip KIT Pads FOR Motorcycle Handlebars | eBay

equals warmy bits

you could put one pad under the flask and wrap the other round it in a sleeve to fit the beaker lol

( I am the king of improvisional ideas )
    Last edited by Fatman; 16-11-15 at 07:52 PM.
    laurie9300 and Black Betty like this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast