Page 146 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147 LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,460 of 1461
Like Tree4676Likes

Thread: Studiovape's stabilised wood squonkers, here's a quick look

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by studiovape View Post
    Haha, yes had to reformat and re upload, took forever.
    Thanks style, I know you don't like the holes
    trust you to over complicate a youtube upload
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Thanks for the recent updates and vids Bernie!
    Fantastic

I had sort of forgotten about this project - too much nasty pre-Christmas action and overall grief with the world.

Including just discovering the 'AVF Crisis' in another thread.
    Very upsetting and sad to hear - totally understand the huge frustrations of our beloved long-time mods!
    WE will support and follow them through 'whatever' happens, no doubt about that

BUT now I am excited again about your wonderful work!
    As a totally OCD person myself, it is amazing to see how you continually finesse every detail until it is 'just right'!
    LOVE it!
    In fact, after trying a few 'new' mods - I have recently returned to my 'old' Studiovape 'prototype' squonker...
    WHAT a beauty - still working absolutely perfect, of course!

So now, I'm SUPER looking forward to my *new* Studiovape creation.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by Tom Drake; 05-01-18 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Better

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Drake View Post
    Thanks for the recent updates and vids Bernie!
    Fantastic

I had sort of forgotten about this project - too much nasty pre-Christmas action and overall grief with the world.

Including just discovering the 'AVF Crisis' in another thread.
    Very upsetting and sad to hear - totally understand the huge frustrations of our beloved long-time mods!
    WE will support and follow them through 'whatever' happens, no doubt about that

BUT now I am excited again about your wonderful work!
    As a totally OCD person myself, it is amazing to see how you continually finesse every detail until it is 'just right'!
    LOVE it!
    In fact, after trying a few 'new' mods - I have recently returned to my 'old' Studiovape 'prototype' squonker...
    WHAT a beauty - still working absolutely perfect, of course!

So now, I'm SUPER looking forward to my *new* Studiovape creation.

Happy New Year!
    Thanks Tom, it's been a real mission trying to find the time to move forward with the project, and as always I appreciate yours and everybody else's patience, I felt that if i at least posted my progress I could be honest with everyone where I was at and at the same time give a bit of insight as to why I couldn't get it all done in a weekend haha
    Fatman, btobw, Tom Drake and 3 others like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    So for today's video we have the button panel magnet install, and the routing of the chamfers on the main body, I did do a couple of extra processes, namelt sanding the SS button panel flush with the body and a last power sand before this finishing sanding starts.
    going bit by bit with the routing of the chamfers is vital to avoid tear-out, (not a welcome event at this stage) and minimal after sanding.
    By the way the flicker on the vis is due to the LED lamp light source , sorry about that.
    Last edited by studiovape; 05-01-18 at 04:58 PM.
    btobw, lmb, Tom Drake and 4 others like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    SO next up will be the final sanding of the body, polishing/brushing of the button panels ( ready to be laser etched with the SV logo).
    Then the finishing regime will commence, with combination of different, different woods, degrees of stabilised and natural, it will be a slightly different regime for each mod, I have a choice of Z-Poxy finishing epoxy,Minwax wipe on poly, Aussie Oil, Hard Shellac,Quick 15 (Zinsser Quick-15 Finish and Sealer. This clear, alkyd formula dries to a hard, durable) Hardwax floor finish,Tru oil, Feast and watson Tung oil floor finish, Natural Tung oil, U-beaut traditional wax, Renaissance wax and Howard feed and wax.
    Quite a list I know. Different blocks need different levels of filling, repair and reinforcement depending on how successful the stabilising process was or the prevalence of natural flaws and porosity. For example the green stabilised popular forJefnffk was like swiss cheese even after professional stabilising and has to be taped up and backfilled with Z-poxy, then infilled, then sanded back to it's desired dimensions, this affects what the best finishing regime will be for it. Other blocks only needed sanding and others only needed CA glue and sawdust fill, again this leads to a slightly different finish preference .
    So while the finish is drying coat by coat I will get a chance to populate the circuit board with the Mosfet and resister with the hot air station, then manual solder the reset able fuse ( the tactile switch will also be manual soldered at the last point when the board is installed and the button panel is in place so that the button on the tactile switch perfectly aligns with the center button hole).
    Then it's cutting and making the pure silver power runs and cutting the spring plates and then bending them and then age hardening them in the oven t increase conductivity and tensile springiness.
    Then making the top contact, then final assembly, then the last piece of the puzzle machining each of the fire buttons for perfect fit , clearance and smooth action.
    Fatman, btobw, Tom Drake and 8 others like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    WOW! That sounds like a lot of tedium! More power to you!
    studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brewbear View Post
    WOW! That sounds like a lot of tedium! More power to you!
    I know right, haha. Making one is one thing 20 or so takes a different mindset and organisational planning.
    rotten, Danny76, Cat and 1 others like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    What happened, @DogMan, ran out of color film?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by brewbear View Post
    What happened, @DogMan, ran out of color film?
    Who are you to question his artistic direction

I suspect he was going for a sense of french noir...cant you see the angst in the image....
    1ynne and emu like this.
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17