Page 87 of 142 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137 ... LastLast
Like Tree4459Likes

Thread: Studiovape's stabilised wood squonkers, here's a quick look

AVF Regular
    I have also finally received the delivery of Screw cap 10ml plastic bottles to supply those that wanted it the Minwax wipe on poly for restoration/maintenance of the finish of the previous batches of the SV squonker standard.
    The idea of the 10ml bottles is that you only need a tiny amount, and If you wanted two, then one would stay totally fresh while you go through the first.
    I only have a small quantity of the minwax WOP so I can't shell out heaps of it I'm afraid, I am prepared to supply 30 bottles in total.maximun bottles per person limit may apply, we shall see how it goes.
    It is worth mentioning at this point that using wax as a maintenance on a varnish finish is not a great idea when you intend to restore the original finish with varnish, you would have to somehow get all the wax off before starting.
    This is what google came up with:
    Removing old wax is an easy way to restore your furniture finish.
    Furniture manufacturers often recommend paste wax as a furniture treatment to add sheen and protect the finish. Paste wax collects dirt, however, and some brands yellow with age, so you should periodically remove the old wax and apply a fresh coat. Re-waxing isn't a difficult job if the finish is polyurethane; a number of solvents that dissolve old wax are safe to use. That's because polyurethane, which is a type of varnish, cures when it dries and, unlike lacquer or shellac, won't soften again. Even so, it's best to avoid very strong solvents, such as lacquer thinner.

Dampen a soft rag with mineral spirits and rub the surface. Mineral spirits dissolves paste wax but won't harm cured polyurethane varnish. Alternatively, use naphtha or turpentine.
    Keep the surface of the rag fresh by turning the rag around or exchanging it for a clean one. The rag will quickly turn brown as wax accumulates on it; if you keep using that part of the rag, you'll simply transfer the wax to another part of the surface.
    Use denatured alcohol for problem areas. It's a stronger solvent, but it's also safe for reactive finishes like polyurethane varnish.

Anyhow if you have one of my wipe on poly finished mods and are interested in a bottle or two, then start your list here:
    Cost will be your choice of shipping and $5 per bottle.

Minwax wipe on poly 10ml bottles

Ingrid x1
    Last edited by studiovape; 01-03-17 at 05:32 PM.
    giruvian and btobw like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by DogMan View Post
    I had to google waterjet cutting lol.

Bummer about the machine shop guy farting you around. But thanks for the update.

The story of 3000 year old wood is very special, even if it isn't always flashy. Have heard it can be less than great to work with though

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk
    I'm used to being given the fob off, runaround etc with these projects, i can take it in my stride, it's just crap when folks have asked for an eta, and you see that eta slipping further and further away.
    I have spent so much money on machines and tooling to try to do everything in house and avoid holdups caused by "others" but I draw the line at a waterjet cutter, my poor 3x3.5m shed is bursting at the seems as it is haha

I think all the woods apart from the willow Jap Elm and maple burl will be a bit of a ***** to work with, my plan is to just give each a try and see how I go, only then will official wood choices be offered encase it goes like poo haha
    Tom Drake, DogMan and rockmoose like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Will this work on the Prototype 1?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maxsmd View Post
    Will this work on the Prototype 1?
    Hi Max, no the prototype was finished with this: AUSSIE OIL.... Aussie Aussie Aussie - Oil oil oil.

Last edited by studiovape; 01-03-17 at 05:57 PM.
    Tom Drake and DogMan like this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular

Ingrid x1
    btobw x2 (though I'll be happy with 1 if you have lots of takers)
    studiovape and DogMan like this.

Limelight Freehand S/Custom Classic/StudioVape/PC Wood mods/VR Wood Mods/TMod/Reo/Floris Little Orca squonkers; Axiom hybrid; GP PAPS-X SS and Lux;PAPS Lux; GP Piccolo; Microstick; Gizmo; DRIFT M22; bOd Mecha
    Haku/Origen Little 16/Hadaly/Manta/Stumpy/Nectar/Derringer, Herons, Spheroids, Eviva, Sophias/SnP, MiniAtty, KFL+, Dripper Pro

AVF Regular
    If series mods use this

Ingrid x1
    Dogman x1

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Ingrid x1
    btobw x2 (though I'll be happy with 1 if you have lots of takers)
    Dogman x1 If series mods uses this (SV comment: still to be decided, it is a strong possibility though)
    DogMan likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    Any update is a good update SV, thank you.

Some of those stab woods sound fantastic

Edit: I know the lists aren't final for who is paying for/receiving which mod, but I am more and more opening up the idea of the series mod. My only concern was running a series mech, but from what it sounds like your custom board with mosfet should be all the safety I need.
    It's worth mentioning that I don't own any mech mods, but I'm not an idiot when it comes to battery safety and electronics.
    Last edited by Whisp; 01-03-17 at 07:02 PM.
    studiovape and DogMan like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisp View Post
    Any update is a good update SV, thank you.

Some of those stab woods sound fantastic

Edit: I know the lists aren't final for who is paying for/receiving which mod, but I am more and more opening up the idea of the series mod. My only concern was running a series mech, but from what it sounds like your custom board with mosfet should be all the safety I need.
    It's worth mentioning that I don't own any mech mods, but I'm not an idiot when it comes to battery safety and electronics.
    You'll still need caution even with a mosfet. These days lots of things get called mosfet mods, but actually have lots of other safety features that mosfets don't.

Having said that, if you are on the fence. Maybe buy a $30 noisy cricket series mech to try out some builds, or run a dual battery regulated at 8.4 volts to see if you like it.

Just to help you make the choice on a practical level

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk
    studiovape, 1ynne, Whisp and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Updated list

DUAL 18650 CELL SERIES SV SQUONKER LIST: Cost: including Express Post within Australia with signature $490AUD

Dogman x 1
    IvanDOTJ x1
    Rotten x1
    rockmoose x1
    Xbb x1

MINI SINGLE 18650 STABWOOD SV SQUONKER LIST: Cost: including Express Post within Australia with signature $450AUD

lmb x1
    btobw x1
    rockmoose x1
    Cat x1
    fridgemagnet x1
    maxsmd x1
    brewbear x1
    Waylander x1
    Whisp x1 (Toing and Froing maybe want Dual series)
    BatDan x1
    Tom Drake x1
    jneffekt x1
    Whisp likes this.
    Vaping since July 2012.