Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Fatman
  • 2 Post By Haza
  • 1 Post By beginner

Thread: Help - Broken Vapor Flask

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Help - Broken Vapor Flask

Hey guys,

Sadly my genuine Vapor Flask DNA40 broke the other day when I accidentally knocked it over my desk.. When I picked it up, I noticed the batteries were rattling so they weren't making a solid connection with the mod.
    After opening it up to see what was wrong, I noticed the frame inside has snapped/broke in multiple places. I'm not too confident in doing the repairs myself and was wondering if anyone here with more experience and knowledge could repair this for me?
    Willing to pay for the repair costs of course I'm located over in South East Melbourne but can also post it out. Just want the mod fixed, pretty devastating as I don't have a back up mod as well!

If anyone is able to provide me with support, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Hi Richard ... as with a lot of things , a picture paints a thousand words ... any chance you can get a few snaps of the damage and let possible helpers see what they might be dealing with ?
    Are the parts broken plastic, cast metal, unobtainium?
    With a visual reference you might get someone more willing to put their hand up as they would not be going into a job blind .
    If you need a backup in a hurry .. "Wick and Wire Co" Vaping Hardware, E-Juice & Electronic Cigarettes - Melbourne Vape Shop – Wick And Wire Co. have a brick and mortar shop 218 Charman Rd, Cheltenham VIC 3192 ... might be pretty close to you I reckon? Open 10 til 3 today and tomorrow .. I am sure Stuart and Co will look after you
    giruvian, disley and WickAndWireCo like this.
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    Hi Richard ... as with a lot of things , a picture paints a thousand words ... any chance you can get a few snaps of the damage and let possible helpers see what they might be dealing with ?
    Are the parts broken plastic, cast metal, unobtainium?
    With a visual reference you might get someone more willing to put their hand up as they would not be going into a job blind .
    If you need a backup in a hurry .. "Wick and Wire Co" Vaping Hardware, E-Juice & Electronic Cigarettes - Melbourne Vape Shop €“ Wick And Wire Co. have a brick and mortar shop 218 Charman Rd, Cheltenham VIC 3192 ... might be pretty close to you I reckon? Open 10 til 3 today and tomorrow .. I am sure Stuart and Co will look after you
    Finally got around to snapping a few photos today, here's it's current state.. what a mess! Not gonna lie, I tried to super glue the snapped plastic together and it didn't even bond. Definitely need a new frame..

Borrowed a spare mod today from a friend for the time being

AVF Regular
    Mate that's thermoplastic that they use for the sleds - you must have done a good job of dropping it to break it that well! Anyway looking at the last one of your pics it looks like it was manufactured in or around 12/15 is that the case? If so your best bet maybe contacting VF directly and asking if they can provide you with a new sled being that it's probably the latest revision of that mod - either that or seek out someone with a 3D printer and get them to make you a print of the thing.

The reason your attempt at super glue didn't work is because of the material that the sled is made of to start with - if your dead set on the glue idea I would recommend trying some sort of 2 part epoxy (Araldite) - it's not that thermally conductive (insufficient density), but it only softens (once cured) well above 100 degrees C. Trouble is you really only sorta get one go at it and if you set it up wrong it's going to be a permanent fixture. The other drama will be if you get a button that goes bad good luck getting the thing out again to replace it once you stick it together.

Another option may be to get onto the Fastech site and pick up a cheap clone enclosure that you could perhaps use as a donor for the chipset - IDK if they would use the same chipset arrangements as I doubt that they would use anything in them that remotely resembles an authentic board - you may be able to sort it out with some "Intesive Dremel Therapy" ad mod it to make it fit - YMMV though as they build them to look the same on the outside and just slap everything together on the inside from what I have seen on the net.

In the fist instance I would contact VF directly to see if the cost of repair is going to be prohibitive and then decide from there. You might be better off just looking on here in the classies for one as they seem to come up every so often - it may work out cheaper and a lot less of a PITA.
    Fatman and Gresh11 like this.

Yeah I contacted VF earlier today, still on a reply. Just wanted to try my luck here just in case VF doesn't do anything about it.
    Believe it or not, the drop was only about 40-50cm high onto my hardwood floor, fell off the side of my bed.. Unlucky I guess

AVF Regular
    To expand on what Haza said regarding the 3D printing. You dont necessarily need to know someone with a 3D printer. You can
    always model the part or get someone to model it and then use a 3D printing service like Shapeways etc.

I need to replace the DNA40 in mine, how do I get that bloody sled out?

edit: got it... now I wonder how do I get that bloody sled back in?
    Last edited by beginner; 07-07-16 at 07:28 PM.
    Gresh11 likes this.