Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Billet Box panel modification

AVF Regular

Billet Box panel modification

The base box is a black anodised billet box clone (thanks Al) I am much too chicken to do this to one of my genuines.

There are companies that sell panels premade for you to change over yourself. One of them is dripnvap.com but a quick search of etsy results show there are quite a few others. Door Panels (real wood) - Drip'n Vap
    For anyone who is interested they have a YouTube video that shows you how to remove the carbon fibre panels from a genuine Billet box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvoFrR7CsQ

Preparation of the base box.

Removing the carbon fibre panels from the clone is not so easy. The carbon fibre is only .38mm thick and the rest of the space is filled with a black double side glue filled spongy fabric. The panel itself is too flimsy to lift and separate in the same way as the video. So you need to use solvent to start the removal process. If you do this please check that the solvent you you does not affect the anodising of the billet box clone.

We used turps to start and then with toothpick wedges and cotton buds dipped in turps, carefully levered the panels away. Again take care not to scratch the anodised visible surface of the box, You are left with this gooey black glug of glue/spongy fabric. Again using turps we carefully cleaned this from the base metal of the box and door.

This is messy and not something you should try in your Sunday best clothes. (Note to self remove nail varnish before playing with turps and black glue)

Preparation of the wood panels.

Thinish slices were cut from the block using a bandsaw.
    These panels were then passed through the drum sander to get flat thinner panels.
    Panels were wet (turps) sanded with 500, then 1000 grit to achieve the base surface.
    Panels were then cut to shape and allowed to relax.

(If you were using wood laminates bought from a specialty wood shop then then you could use the carbon panels as a master to cut your new panels)

We have decided that the natural colour of these particular panels looks good enough that stain is not necessary.

There will be a couple of coats of lacquer with some fine sanding inbetween coats so it will be a few days before the panels are complete and the box put back together.

You choice of finishing depends on what goes best with the wood you choose but we will use a polyurethane wiping lacquer and set the panels in place using a tight bond contact adhesive.

Some minor tweaking of the bevelled edges may be required to allow for the wood movement.
    Last edited by Crisscross; 10-02-16 at 03:13 PM.
    Robray, giruvian, gtadmin and 16 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    What a great DIY project! I can already see it's going to look mint!

AVF Regular
    Can't wait to see it finished!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by laurie9300 View Post
    Can't wait to see it finished!
    Me neither. I never call it done until it's back together and working properly.
    dplongo22, steve.c and Katdarling like this.

AVF Regular
    Nice one cc that finish looks like mahogany, very swish
    Crisscross and dplongo22 like this.

AVF Regular
    While we are waiting for the final coat to dry on this project we had a play with the BB I picked up from Yatsey this morning. It was hard to pick the panels until you see what you are working with.

This is the before and after stage one. Panels have been removed, case was wet sanded with 500, 1000, 2000 grit. Kitten cut and polish for the initial buff and then brasso and a lot of elbow grease. Most of the scratches are gone and the major dings are diminished.

Before (pics from sale thread)

After (I am definitely going to need a manicure after this)

Stomp, Fatman, Gresh11 and 8 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Your fingers must be half an inch shorter after that. Nice job XX..real nice
    Crisscross and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomp View Post
    Your fingers must be half an inch shorter after that. Nice job XX..real nice
    Mr XX did sanding, I did polishing. so a team effort.

But she did come up beautifully.
    Stomp, Fatman, hank and 1 others like this.

AVF Regular
    The polished one is put back together (until it's panels are done) and working perfectly

gtadmin, Fatman, btobw and 2 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Looks fantastic XX, how's the fingers today (or the manicure to be more precise )?
    Crisscross, Fatman and Midlife like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast