Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How long is wire good for? RDA

AVF Regular

How long is wire good for? RDA

Hey everyone,
    How long is wire on an RDA good for?
    I would consider myself a moderate to heavy vaper.
    I do a dry burn every 2 days or so depending on the juice I'm running.
    Had a great coil but i felt it was conking out, looked really ratty too.
    Lasted about 2 weeks.
    Rebuilt last night but the things a POS!
    I'm pretty bad at building so if i get it right id like to keep the coil as long as possible.

AVF Regular
    Well if it pops during dry burning, or you've messed up the coils by pulling wick in and a out of it, then do a complete rebuild. Apart from that it should be fine.

Edit: coils don't really "conk out" though a few other things can happen. They can get pulled around when you are pulling the wick through them and no longer be neat, and the contact with the post can start to go bad. I usually re-tighten the contact posts when I re-wick and sometimes they have started to loosen up due to expansion and contraction, or sometimes it could just be a dirty contact.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 22-04-16 at 10:32 AM.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    What sort of coils are you bulding? Spaced or contact? what size? Do you use a coil building tool? Do you have a problem fitting the coils?

Tell us what's going on and we might be able to make some suggestions.

AVF Regular
    Used 30 gauge kanthal 5 wraps - contact coil.
    I use the coil master and on this build I believe I used the size 30 tool.

This coil ran good for about 2 weeks, I dry burned it every few days and changed the wick every 2 days.
    What I noticed was the vapor production and flavor dropped off and the wire (on the wraps) looked like it was degrading, not build up but physically degraded.
    Was getting a strange metally sort of taste and assumed the wire was conking out and was releasing some sort of fumes.

Checked all the connections and they appeared to be good, coils were in same position and hadn't shifted.

AVF Regular
    Well that's pretty strange, I've never observed anything like that. A metalic taste does not sound good. Dry burning Kanthal normally returns it to as newer condition as it's possible to do so. I took some photomicrographs you might be interested in seeing: The case FOR dry burning

Silly question, but are you completely sure it's Kanthal and not nichrome wire? Kanthal is far more stable and it's pretty hard to degrade it with dry burning.

If the wire was seriously pitted and degraded I would expect it to be more likely to pop when you dry burn it.
    Oldhead likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Well that's pretty strange, I've never observed anything like that. A metalic taste does not sound good. Dry burning Kanthal normally returns it to as newer condition as it's possible to do so. I took some photomicrographs you might be interested in seeing: The case FOR dry burning

Silly question, but are you completely sure it's Kanthal and not nichrome wire? Kanthal is far more stable and it's pretty hard to degrade it with dry burning.

If the wire was seriously pitted and degraded I would expect it to be more likely to pop when you dry burn it.
    I have read your post on dry burning, it's actually the reason I do dry burn despite reading information against it.
    The wire is definitely kanthal at least that's what it says on the package, don't have it in front of me but I believe the brand is geekvape.
    Maybe it was a dud piece.
    I've ordered some comp wire by wotofo so going to give that a go.
    Really not a fan of building as I find it very frustrating when things don't go to plan, but will be sticking at it!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker87 View Post
    I have read your post on dry burning, it's actually the reason I do dry burn despite reading information against it.
    The wire is definitely kanthal at least that's what it says on the package, don't have it in front of me but I believe the brand is geekvape.
    Maybe it was a dud piece.
    I've ordered some comp wire by wotofo so going to give that a go.
    Really not a fan of building as I find it very frustrating when things don't go to plan, but will be sticking at it!
    Yes, I recommend cleaning the coil after dry burning to remove all of the loose material and get rid of any odour. It's sounds like something is corroding the wire but there is absolutely nothing in the e-liquid that should be doing that. I've only managed to dry but one coil about four or five times before it got messed up enough to need a recoil. I normally dry burn at about 7 or 8 watts per coil. If the degradation was caused by the dry burning I'd expect it to pop.

If you get a coil like this again that looks clean but degraded, would you consider sticking it in an envelope and sending it to me? I'd really like to have a close look at it.
    Oldhead likes this.

AVF Regular
    Start using SS and Ti, they both last a long time.

AVF Regular
    Five months so far with the same SS coils, just dry burn every two weeks.
    disley likes this.

AVF Regular
    +1 for SS, i usually get a month or more out of coils, and i only rebuild for the fun of it, i could probably dry burn and keep going...

SS gives you the bonus of using in both VW and TC setups too

Vaping unflavoured also helps
    Stylemessiah: Prince of all things small and whispery. Abhorrer of shoutiness. Shunner of all vigorousities.

Pushing back against the vendor wall, one damn stupid post at a time...

Not on as many ignore lists as you think....

Handy shopping links:
    Mods With Issues (Often On Discounted Flash Sale) Last Updated 13/10/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast