Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree944Likes

Thread: Studiovape's Bottom fed Tricro coil competition with a prize :)

AVF Regular

Studiovape's Bottom fed Tricro coil competition with a prize :)

Hi folk this has been discussed in a recent FS thread so I am moving the discussion here for everyone to benefit should they choose to try it.
    I will post the excepts from the thread along with a couple of pics to give you an idea.
    In the spirit of AVF I have decided to offer a free bottom feed conversion to an atty of your choice (atty supplied by you and posted to me , return post and modifications on me)
    The challenge will be for the best coiled and wicked tricro in a bottom fed atty.
    Pictures posted of your coils will be judged on Sunday night with winner announced on Monday.

I will attempt to offer advice along the way should it be requested.

Excerpts:

Quote Originally Posted by shaneo View Post
    That coil but
    This should clarify things as far as my unbeatable (IMHO) BF coil setup :

[IMG]IMG_3944 by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_3935 copy by Thomas Studios, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by rotten View Post
    Oooh I like. I can see how it works but how tf did you do it?
    I'm not normally a cloud chaser either. 0.7ohm, 2.5 mm, single coil is the norm.
    The Kanger atty suits if you like to lay your tails under the coil like I do.

sent from my emptying glass
    the middle coil is first wrapped around a 1.6mm rod/coil jig etc, (at present I'm using 26g 316 SS, and go for 7-8 turns for this part) leaving nice long tails at either end, I then keep the rod in the coil and set it at right angles across a 2mm rod, and wrap two or three coils on either side clock wise and anti clockwise accordingly ( at present I am going for 2 wraps on either side) , leave both rods in place and install coil. carefully remove 1.6mm then 2mm rods, dry fire/stroke with a screwdriver to work out any hot spots and wick up with cotton balls.
    Pass the rolled wick through the top two coils and cut at either end leaving around 12mm tails sticking out on either side, then wrap the tails round and under the center coil, one then the other. The wick must be snug under the coil and this means positioning the coil to deck distance/wick thickness carefully. this 7/2/2 26g coil gives me around 0.62Ohms the 8/2/2 around 0.68Ohms. It seems more fiddly than it is and you have to keep an eye on the tails under the col if you drop or knock over the mod the "may" need reseating.
    It's worth the effort trust me. Try it and let me know what you think, ps woks great on a BF converted IGO-L.
    Let me know if you need any extra clarification.

FATMAN Authorized WARNING

AVF isn't just for newbies, it isn't just for sub-ohmers, snus'ers, tootle puffers, or one legged turtles
    A comp is aimed at whoever wants to enter it or has the skills to do so ....

But speaking of skills ... a gentle warning .. if you don't have much experience making weird arse coils, by all means have a go , but make sure you check it on a good REGULATED mod with safety cutouts to protect you if you mess up ... if you don't feel confident , don't do it ... and don't do it on a mech mod without knowing what you are on about,.
    All hail FM
    Last edited by studiovape; 18-05-16 at 07:19 PM.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    I'm in. Nothing like a challenge

studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    First question.
    Youre using ss. Ive got kanthal, every gauge basically. What would you change?
    Cheers

studiovape likes this.

AVF Regular
    28 or 26G, 26 probably, SS has slightly increasing resistance as it heats so it will speed ramp time but level off at temp, for instance my 0.62Oms coils start at 0.62 and get upto 0.68Ohms when warm so on a mech it's like having a mild temp control effect.
    I used to use nichrome 26g before the 316 ss and that was good, but with out the improved ramp up time caused by the increasing resistance.
    Nichrome has a slightly lower resistance per weight than kanthal so yes try 26G
    Vaping since July 2012.

Super Moderator
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Ramp up might be a bit slow though ...
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Ramp up might be a bit slow though ...
    it might, kanthal is not the best choice, you could try it on a slightly smaller scale with 28g, a 1.5mm center,1.8mm side coils with 6/2/2.
    I have been using this coil for over two years and have to say the sweet spot does vary depending on the atty, but the original suggested build with 26g SS and 1.6mm and 2mm rods and 7/2/2 or 8/2/2 is the best so far.
    Maybe Rotten has a neigbour with some 26 nichrome or 316ss.
    Those coil calculators are a pain in that you can't enter the no of wraps as a variable make a calculation and add them together, I was trying to find one like I used to have but it vanished off the net.
    Vaping since July 2012.

AVF Regular
    So a contest for advanced vapers only? Seems a bit one sided to me. Imo a competition should be for all members, so everyone can join in. No offence to the op but thats how it looks.

Super Moderator
    Not for me but for rotten ... and yes, painful to calculate with different sizes but it'll give him a starting point
    studiovape likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Steve.c, it's studiovapes comp. You don't have to enter. Or you could give it a go. I haven't done one before either.........................

studiovape, Fatman and steve.c like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.c View Post
    So a contest for advanced vapers only? Seems a bit one sided to me. Imo a competition should be for all members, so everyone can join in. No offence to the op but thats how it looks.
    Wow steve, no good deed goes unpunished
    It's a challenge.... if it was going to be easy I could just give away my services.
    The idea is to encourage experienced and less experienced vapers to push themselves and try something different and yes, challenging.
    It can take several hours to modifly and an RDA for bottom feeding depending on how far I go with the mod and the chosen RDA, so I want folks to put some effort in in their end, not unreasonable I feel, and they may just hit vape nirvana in the process, maybe a good deal.
    I originally headed the thread "Challenge" ,and then changed to competition, didn't really see the harm
    Vaping since July 2012.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast