Like Tree10Likes
  • 8 Post By wedgtail
  • 1 Post By muscovyduckling
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: D.i.y d r o

AVF Regular

D.i.y d r o

Not sure if this is in the right place please shift if needed Mods .

My Lathe was a basket case when I bought it , insurance job for 50.00 full of rust a motor that had been wet for 2 weeks and not working it took me 3 months to get it to run and cleaned up . It still has problems with parts that need replacing The cross slide has a lot of back lash in it , not good for accurate machining especially when you need to cut in o ring grooves . New parts are ordered a Dro was on the wish list due to cost basic version 400.00 . so I came up with this 30.00 d i y project .

Parts
    Bunnings Digital Vernier 19.95

rare earth magnets ebay 6.99

Super glue
    right angle bracket

First cut the fixed jaw of the vernier , be careful not to cook the electronics with heat . then glue the bracket to the under side of the display you should have something that looks like this .

the rest is just placement on the lathe each one is different . so this bit is up to you.

Use the magnets to secure the vernier to the lathe

All done works a treat

cheers Mark
    I Squonk therefore I vape

AVF Regular
    You probably already know this but just in case. You can use a dial gauge on your cross slide so your tool always returns to the same depth and also measure depth of cut.
    Good idea with the verniers especially if you want to measure a longer traverse. You did used to be able to buy cheap scales a bit like that.

AVF Regular
    Thanks I thought of that then I saw the price of a good dial indicator , I left the trade 15 years ago sold most of my tools and thought I would never use them again .

AVF Regular
    I don't know what I'm looking at, but I admire your McGyvering skills.
    LimeB likes this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks ducky the botom picture shows a drip tip in the making ready to be polished . the modified vernier caliper is used to measure the depth of cut for the o-ring groves accurately. the tip is for a Griffin tank and is turned out of a single piece of acrylic .

cheers Mark

AVF Regular
    Oh bloody hell. I didn't know you had to make the o-ring groove. I have some drip tips that XX sent me, made by Baz, and they have a metal bit in the bottom that has an o-ring groove in it - I just assumed it came like that, not that you guys had to make the groove too!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Oh bloody hell. I didn't know you had to make the o-ring groove. I have some drip tips that XX sent me, made by Baz, and they have a metal bit in the bottom that has an o-ring groove in it - I just assumed it came like that, not that you guys had to make the groove too!
    The XX driptips might use a premade metal insert that is cemented into the acrylic part of the driptip.

The other way of doing it is to machine the whole thing out of one piece of acrylic. If you do that, you have to also machine the grooves for the O-rings, obviously. It comes down to personal preference as to what you do/buy. Both methods have their own advantages.
    muscovyduckling likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Oh right...

AVF Regular
    Hi Ducky
    the tip for the Griffin tank has a internal diameter of 10mm not your standard 510 connection the out side diameter is around 12.8 mm so you need o rings for a good fit .