• 3 Post By Hoofprint
  • 2 Post By DogMan
  • 1 Post By hank
  • 3 Post By Tara

Thread: (noob) convert variable to mechanical

AVF Regular

(noob) convert variable to mechanical

Hi,

I am new to vaping, have been using an ego-t and today I visited a vape shop and bought a variable mod and a hellboy RDA by el diablo. The resistance with one of the supplied coil fitted was .3 ohms (tested with a cheapo multimeter from the electronics shop). Unfortunately I am guessing due to the fact the shop owner told me it didn't support sub ohm vaping, the rda did not work, however my ego-t clearomizer did.

I want to convert it to a mechanical mod and was hoping that I could draw on your collective knowledge. I did see a video that mentioned a mosfet must be used as well as fuses to keep it safe. Can anyone tell me what types to use so I don't confuse the guy at the electronics store like today (unfortunately he didn't have much knowledge of vaping).

Thanks

AVF Regular
    i dont want to sound like the cruel guy, but the words New to vaping, Cheap, Convert it and mechanical mod should never be used in the same post.

its great you found vaping but mechanical mods are not for newbies, to much can go wrong.
    save up your dollars and buy something like an istick 100w, that will power coils down to 0.1 ohm safely.

these vids are little outdated but still full of useful information for newbie vapers
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mOl...BJoUbQWJcZr4At
    moza, DogMan and Danyel Geelong like this.

AVF Regular
    I'm a mechanical fitter and used to work on 440 volt bud

AVF Regular
    If the vape shop sold you 2 things incompatible with each other, a refund/replace is in the order. Beats spending more converting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    a mechanical mod is just a connection from positive battery terminal to centre post of 510, negative to outside 510, with a switch in there. No electronics

a mosfet takes the load off the switch, since you 0.3 ohm coil ill draw 14 amps [i'm sure you know of high amp switches]

a fuse will protect from hard short circuits

some diagrams and stuff here https://www.reddit.com/r/OpenPV/wiki/index
    moza and Robray like this.

AVF Regular

(noob) convert variable to mechanical

I wouldn't try converting it just yet.

Buy some other components then mix them up a bit and have a good look inside what you buy.

There's a sizable difference between working with 440 and putting some of the battery chemistry out there effectively in your mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by hank; 07-06-16 at 01:13 AM.
    moza likes this.
    Not in need of peoples issues

AVF Regular
    What mod did you buy? Most mods on the market today can handle a fairly low resistance. Really its as simple as finding out
    what resistance your mod can go down to and building your coils accordingly. Converting your new mod to mechanical just so
    it can fire the coil that came with your RDA seems to be an odd way of resolving your problem.
    moza, DogMan and trumpy955 like this.