Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Converting a Melo 3 mini to MTL

Super Moderator
    An interesting design feature of the Melo 3 mini tank is how the tank top cap seals against the coils ... the top cap has a silicon wave seal built in, which slips into and seals against the inner of the coil casing as the tank is assembled. This can be used to locate that air tube bush I made if it has a lip on it, preventing it from sliding down and contacting the coil itself.

Neat
    Crisscross likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

Super Moderator
    I now have a coil assembly that should perform well as a MTL replacement for the EC coils that come with the Melo 3 mini. In practice it works fairly well, but not as good as the Kabuki. Why?

Stripping down the modified coil assembly, I discovered 2x things.

1. The positive lead had got hot, hot enough that it had stuck to the air inlet bush. This lead to
    2. There was a 5mm gap between the air inlet and the bottom of the coil.

Ah ha, that would explain some of it, both the long legs of the coil and the large gap. Again, traditional design theory has an air gap of the coil diameter only. So I removed and discarded both the original positive pin and its insulator, and made extended replacement pieces. The insulator was made from delrin, and the positive from brass.

Reassembling the tank with the modified ECR, testing revealed that my requirements had been met.

On the left is an unmodified ECR, on the right the modified one.
    Robray and rodbam like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    When I was trying to make the Melo 3 mini more MTL the best success I had was to insert a rubber grommet from a Kanger coil from the old Pro tank 2. Where that square air hole in the bottom pin of the coil on the left of your picy the rubber grommet goes in there & with a syringe needle it pushed nicely up into the hole reducing the air flow in a nice way that closing the air flow ring couldn't .
    Last edited by rodbam; 09-10-16 at 10:32 AM.
    Robray likes this.

Super Moderator
    Other than the reduced atomising chamber (which now resembles a 6 or 7 sphere), the air tube is 2.5 at the minimum, and 4 at the maximum. All this speeds the air flow through the assembly for a given "puff capacity" in comparison to the original.
    Robray likes this.

jps
    AVF Newbie | Be nice to me
    YOU DONT HAVE TO BUY A NEW TANK!!!... I just converted my melo3 to restrictive airflow mtl.

1/ tape the air seam above the airflow adjustment with electrical tape, one band of tape around the base of the tank,

2/ add 1 square mm of air gaps to the tape

3/ set the watts to 15-25

4/ I added my smok SID drip tip instead of the melo nozzle.

emu
    AVF Regular
    Just buy a pack of mouth to lung coils

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12