Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Converting a Melo 3 mini to MTL

Super Moderator

Converting a Melo 3 mini to MTL

For a while I have been looking for a tank that satisfied several criteria for a little project I have (which may or may not progress, depending on circumstances).

It had to:
    1. be a mass produced, SS and glass tank;
    2. be top fill;
    3. have blister pack coils available;
    4. have rebuildable coils available;
    5. have a horizontal coil as an option;
    5a have the wicks of that coil sitting as low as possible in the tank;
    6. have the ability to change a coil without dumping the tank;
    7. have bottom air flow, with "hidden" AFC;
    8. suit both MTL and DL styles of vaping;
    9. be leak free irrespective of its orientation;

And finally
    10. be no more than 22 (18 preferable) and
    11. have the shortest overall length possible.

Nice little wish list, but I couldn't find a tank that satisfied all the criteria. However, the Melo 3 mini satisfies all except perhaps the MTL requirement so I purchased one along with a few ECR coils to play with. And as a DL tank, it reputedly works well (I'm not naturally a DL vaper, so didn't actually test it in this mode).

When you close down the AFC to use as a MTL tank though, I found it somewhat lacking in the flavour department and produced a relatively cold vape.

Checklist:
    1-2, yes
    3, yes (DL including TC coils only)
    4-5, ECR coils are horizontal, rebuildable coils
    5a, from the piccies I had seen, the wicks look to be right at the bottom of the tank's liquid
    6-7, yes
    8, MTL is a fail* IMO
    9, from reports, yes. I chuck my vapes in a pocket, so a must have.
    10-11, 22 x 38mm (excluding 510 connector and driptip)

*So other than reduced airflow, what makes a bottom coiled, MTL tank work well?
    Crisscross and Hoofprint like this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    I have a melo 3 u can get a little leakage if the airflow is open and turned upside down. I just close the airflow when putting it in my pocket
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    So other than reduced airflow, what makes a bottom coiled, MTL tank work well?

Narrow chimney
    Small chamber
    Airflow around the coil
    Smaller bore pin airflow

Must still work for small coil diameters and thin gauge wire.......so wicking holes can't be huge
    Smaller bore drip tip to meet smaller bore chimney.
    gtadmin likes this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post

Must still work for small coil diameters and thin gauge wire.......so wicking holes can't be huge
    I'm kinder restricted on the size of the wick holes, can't make them any smaller than what they are. However, my choice of wicking material (rayon ) will fill wick holes 2x the ID of the coil so to me, this isn't an issue.

With the Melo 3 mini, 99% of the tanks characteristics are governed by the design of the coil assembly, which externally looks similar to a Nautilus coil, and they have successfully been incorporated into a tank rated as one of the best ... the Kabuki. Yet in the Melo 3 mini, the coil is all about maximising air flow and unrestricted fluid flow to the coil. So the challenge here is modifying the EC (and/or ECR) coils to match the MTL performance of the Kabuki.
    Last edited by gtadmin; 08-10-16 at 09:58 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by gtadmin View Post
    I'm kinder restricted on the size of the wick holes, can't make them any smaller than what they are. However, my choice of wicking material (rayon ) will fill wick holes 2x the ID of the coil so to me, this isn't an issue.

With the Melo 3 mini, 99% of the tanks characteristics are governed by the design of the coil assembly, which externally looks similar to a Nautilus coil, and they have successfully been incorporated into a tank rated as one of the best ... the Kabuki. Yet in the Melo 3 mini, the coil is all about maximising air flow and unrestricted fluid flow to the coil. So the challenge here is modifying the EC (and/or ECR) coils to match the MTL performance of the Kabuki.
    if you want to make it smaller, go old school mechanics.

Get some of that stripped thread repair resin they use on cars for fixing stripped spark plug threads.
    that shit sets like rock and can handle the temps and pressure of a car engine.
    drill out the new holes and a little sanding your good to go.

EDIT: granted it wont be the prettiest thing in the world but hoofprint dont do pretty, hoofprint does functional
    Last edited by Hoofprint; 08-10-16 at 10:14 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprint View Post
    if you want to make it smaller, go old school mechanics.

Get some of that stripped thread repair resin they use on cars for fixing stripped spark plug threads.
    that shit sets like rock and can handle the temps and pressure of a car engine.
    drill out the new holes and a little sanding your good to go.
    Needs more work than that, although it is something to consider in the future. The ECR coil (which is what I will be concentrating on) comes in two pieces, each keys into the other piece.
    Crisscross and Hoofprint like this.

Super Moderator
    Lets redesign it:

The basis of an atty is the coil. I decided that to meet my expectations of MTL performance, it should be around 1.6/1.7Ω with an inner diameter of 1.8mm (although I have been known to use coils with an ID of 2.5mm). With the ECR wick holes being 3, rayon wicks will work extremely well.

The air inlet on the ECR is a massive 5 and traditional atty design dictates this should not be much bigger than the ID of the coil, so this is the first thing that needs correcting, and I decided to use a 2.5 air inlet.

First iteration of the redesign involved making a bush press fit into the positive pin, with just a 2.5 drilled hole through it and made from delrin.
    Last edited by gtadmin; 08-10-16 at 10:38 PM.
    Crisscross likes this.

AVF Regular
    And.............. Photos
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Super Moderator
    Next area to be resigned was the chimney, ECR has an ID of 8mm which is much too big for maintaining the air velocity required for flavour. Again, a delrin bush was made to fit in this area, with a 4 through hole. Any air tube I design has a 60 included angle taper on the coil side, this allows the air flowing over the full width of the coil to be captured and smoothly routed through the air tube ie a concentrator.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisscross View Post
    And.............. Photos
    Glutton for punishment, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast