Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By fabricator4

Thread: So, say I want to make my own mod...

AVF Regular

So, say I want to make my own mod...

Hello All,

Like the title says, I want to roll my own mod.

Reasons for doing so are as simple as I'm bored, I have an innate need to 'make things' and a single mod for my own amusement is something I can tackle without having to up my game to saleable items (as other projects will need to be, not related to this).

If it were to be a regulated one, where can I get off the shelf circuitry for such a beast? If I go down this route, it would need to be a proper, genuine, no BS and reliable bit of soft-hardware. If it's hinky, I'll make an arduino or similar micro controller control the thing instead. I've read about the DNA stuff and kinda found that it can be purchased, but is it worthwhile to plug and play with such a thing? Especially having also read about some problems with them as well. Do the 'good' ones use these circuits or do they work out their own?

If no controller, then pure mechanical is about as easy as possible and I'm pretty sure I can work out my atomiser bits to work with that if need be. But I do like the idea of having some control over things so I don't need to 'match' anything up. My OCD will go batchit over such trivialities, much better if I can dial up a number and leave it be.

(That said, my cleito is pretty much running as mechanical ready now. Still, I'd like it to stop me when the battery is too far gone. I can rig a dumb circuit for that though I think...)

So, suggestions or experiences with such things? I promise that for the actual making of the parts and putting them together I'm quite capable of doing such things and need no suggestions for that part of it. Mostly a case of it being possible to find and make use of a good dependable circuit OR skipping that completely and going a little old school on it.

And no, I'm not planning on making and selling anything. Been down that path and it's always a mess because I can't let something go until it's perfect, and that also means it takes too long to make a coin on it.

(The last build I saw someone make was nice, if you're a 'maker'. Which is fine and good and it's nice to see folks getting their hands dirty. But I don't do 'maker'. 'Maker' is for folks who've never built anything that needs to earn a living.)

Thanks, I hope.

Stu.

If this works out, I might try and do some atomisers too. Maybe try out that squonker idea I have as well.

AVF Regular
    I give you the Plumber's Mod:
    Mod Competition-Voting Thread

Lots of other great ideas came out of that comp.

There's circuits for a MOSFET driven mod which basically gives you a mech with some protection. Very cheap to make too.
    Crisscross, Fatman and chewbacca like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Ok, the plumber's crack was cool.

I shall be reading over that thread thoroughly for suggestions and sources. I've got some SMT fets around here somewhere, but I think for something like this I'll need bigger ones that can dissipate some decent power and some adjustment, which isn't that difficult I don't think.

If I can make my own motor speed control (make as in design the PCB, etch it, build it and make it work like it should) then this stuff with newer parts isn't going to be too big an ask, even if I've completely forgotten all that outdated stuff now.

We shall see what I can cook up. Ultimately I'd like TC, but that's probably not really necessary if I pay attention to the details.

And if I decide a 'maker' grade thing will do, plumbing parts aren't hard to find.

Thanks,

Stu.