Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Schtoo
  • 1 Post By Schtoo
  • 1 Post By big cam

Thread: Mokume Control Buttons?

AVF Newbie | Be nice to me

Mokume Control Buttons?

Hi all,

I am looking for info on anywhere that might sell Mokume control buttons for a mod I am having built. Mr Google led me to Viking Mods but I haven't heard back from them as yet so any ideas would be appreciated.

Overseas is fine as the mod maker is in the States anyway :-)

Many thanks

AVF Regular
    Ok, didn't know they existed or were needed.

Is it real mokume, or just something made to look like it?

Just curious, I don't know where one might find them.

Stu.
    Yonjuro likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Ok, didn't know they existed or were needed.

Is it real mokume, or just something made to look like it?

Just curious, I don't know where one might find them.

Stu.
    It is only cosmetic - lots of high end mods are using it for tubes, catch cups, 510 connector, buttons etc - even RDA caps - as far as being like traditional layered Japanese - I doubt it is exactly the same, looks more like a brass and copper version of Damascus - which incidentally is not real Damascus anyway LOL Real Damascus is crucible steel where the molecules grab each other and it an almost lost art (see Russian Bulat) - the Damascus we are all familiar with is actually piled steel and in layers.

AVF Regular
    Hmm...

Might get some real stuff and see what I can do with it.

Just so you know, 'mokume' is just old school wrought iron (hammered into shape from before casting and structural steel sections existed) etched to show up the layers. Modern 'Damascus' as it's put is pretty much the same thing but using differing steels and the etching affects the layers in a different way, showing up the layers more prominently. No reason you couldn't layer anything that can be stuck together and etch it to get the desired effect. Copper and silver? Gold and platinum? Bronze and another different kind of bronze?

I'd bet if you got an old wrought nail or bolt, made the button from it and etched the appropriate spots, you'd get a real one. Stuff wears pretty well too and with use would polish up on the 'high' bits nicely.

I'm not sure I'd want the real stuff near anything that should be 'clean' though. Lots of slag inclusions in it and as it's iron it'll go funky pretty quickly. That said it does last very well, otherwise it'd need to be made from re-constituted rust...

Stu.
    Cat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schtoo View Post
    Hmm...

Might get some real stuff and see what I can do with it.

Just so you know, 'mokume' is just old school wrought iron (hammered into shape from before casting and structural steel sections existed) etched to show up the layers. Modern 'Damascus' as it's put is pretty much the same thing but using differing steels and the etching affects the layers in a different way, showing up the layers more prominently. No reason you couldn't layer anything that can be stuck together and etch it to get the desired effect. Copper and silver? Gold and platinum? Bronze and another different kind of bronze?

I'd bet if you got an old wrought nail or bolt, made the button from it and etched the appropriate spots, you'd get a real one. Stuff wears pretty well too and with use would polish up on the 'high' bits nicely.

I'm not sure I'd want the real stuff near anything that should be 'clean' though. Lots of slag inclusions in it and as it's iron it'll go funky pretty quickly. That said it does last very well, otherwise it'd need to be made from re-constituted rust...

Stu.
    Yeah, I seem to remember mokume relating to a wood grain of the metal - mokume-gane. I have some menuki and used to have a kogatana in shakudo

I am not sure if I will end up getting the buttons as the mod maker got back to me saying he may not be able to make the necessary mounting plate work, which is a bummer.

Mokume cane scales on a straight razor of mine

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    Yonjuro likes this.