Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast
Like Tree417Likes

Thread: 3D Printing and Vaping!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara View Post
    That doesnt look like a rendering artefact to me Its done that because the faces are intersecting eachother.....the parts that intersect are the same height and you haven't cut the gap for the lug.
    Well you're partly right. The app. I'm using will correctly remove those artifacts if I extend the 'cut out' to greater than the height of the section it is removing. OTOH if I do a full render (which does not provide choice of coloring), it will correctly remove all parts (and therefore the artifacts).

On another note, since seeing the pricing of the modular design, as well as the non-modular design with a 'shell like' base, I've decided that both are too expensive to be worth it. There was a further problem in that the resizing mechanism I used to flatten the base and ends of the shell was ..poorly thought out. What I was doing for the part looping across each mod holder was to subtract one cylinder from another, then cut it in half and resize the remaining half to half its original height. The end result was that the wall thickness at the base was twice what it was at the peak. (Intuitively obvious now I actually think about it!) I could have compensated for that by making the wall thickness at the base twice what it needed to be, but that does not make sense from the POV of basic strength.

So I've dumped having full surfaces (to cut down on material) or a modular design and am going to rework the design of the base so that it is merely a frame. Further, I'll get around the 'thinning on top' problem by leaving the cylindrical base ends (that will be part of the frame) at their natural height. Hopefully I'll have something to show within a few hours. (A picture paints a thousand words!)

Author of eJumica - the eJuice Mixing Calculator.
    eJumica is compatible with Windows, OS X & Linux/Unix.
    Requires the Java plug-in

AVF Regular
    OK that.. completely didn't have the effect of making the price viable.

Old price (with shell for base) for Strong & Flexible plastic in Shapeways - $60.62. Price for frame - $50.98.
    Old price (with shell for base) for Polyamide in I Materialise - 41.19 Euro. Price for frame - 37.97 Euro.

I'm about ready to abandon all hope (ye' who design a mod stand).

Aaarrgggh..

Irritatingly, Shapeways only charges $16.87 for the frame based model in PLA. The irritating part? PLA is a material restricted to the model owner. I'll have to ask them ...Why?!?
    Last edited by Vaporific; 25-05-17 at 07:33 AM.
    steve.c likes this.

AVF Regular
    Well, it's nice to know that not all my 3D designs are pointless or worthless! Just got a shipment from Shapeways this morning..

From left to right, front to back:

• Four (US) sizes of rings. Huh.. turns out my fingers are fatter than I thought, I expected them to be half way between the middle two, but the 2nd largest is just a little tight, while the largest is loose. There are 16 sizes from smallest to largest, but those 4 were to test the concept and find out a ring size to get the first ring test done in metal. I now have 70 generic designs of pendants, as well as the 12 signs of the zodiac that are easily adjustable to earrings or rings. I'm nervous I'll go to upload them to a Shapeways shop to discover they demand you do a test print of each model in each material (say 3 different metal variants) before offering it for sale. Lemme see, for 82 rings in 16 ring sizes + an earring and pendant at around $12-14 US each (let's say average $13) would be a ..shit load of money! Around $57,564.. which is about (checks wallet) $57,560 more than I have on me.
    • The 3D print of Australia in green is beside them.
    • Behind those is 8 variants of the 'Ego thread' tank holder in a single run. I'll order 2 x 5 holder variants of that for 10 Evod tanks.
    • Behind that are the battery pack holders. Each of them has a small ring at the top for a lanyard clip.
      1. On the left is the RoMP (ROd Mod Pod) in red (the clamps) and black (the spine). I had lots of variants of the clamps made, and this is the first time I think I have the various combos of sizes & angles right. Boy was that a saga.. This is the third run I've had printed!
      2. In the middle is an eVic VTC mini holder in black. It's a nice snug fit, but I think I'll raise the top bar just a smidge to give the fire button more room.
      3. On the right in orange is the BoMP (Box MOd Pod). It has a flexible clamp on the end (visible) so it is adjustable for various widths of (single 18650) mod, and a similar (but longer) bar on the back for adjustable depth.

Here is a slightly closer / different angle view of the above.

Now I'm off to play more with my new toys. Carry on..
    Last edited by Vaporific; 26-05-17 at 11:31 AM.
    btobw, laurie9300 and Tara like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    Well you're partly right. The app. I'm using will correctly remove those artifacts if I extend the 'cut out' to greater than the height of the section it is removing. OTOH if I do a full render (which does not provide choice of coloring), it will correctly remove all parts (and therefore the artifacts).
    Thats pretty much what I said (its the same height and you haven't cut the gap). If you extend the 'cut out' to a greater height
    I imagine you wont be able to see the lug (Id be interested to see otherwise though ). If you extend the height of the lug it
    will look like its been removed but it will still be there.

The full render with no colouring will render the same as you've got here only without the two different colours the intersecting
    faces aren't visible cause they are the same height.

Rendering is just the process of creating a 2D image of your model....it doesn't change anything on the model.

I'm not sure which 3D app you are using but I don't know of any that will intuitively cut out a piece like that. You are gonna need
    to remove it. Just draw path a bit longer than the base and little wider (maybe 0.2mm or so) than the lug or offset the original lug
    path and make it a bit longer then make an extruded cut and that should sort it
    Vaporific likes this.

AVF Regular
    .. The full render with no colouring will render the same as you've got here only without the two different colours the intersecting
    faces aren't visible cause they are the same height.
    I should have been more clear. I did not mean when the two parts were together, but when they were separated. Admittedly the difference between quick render and full render is mostly a quirk of the software, I'm now getting into the habit of extending the part that is doing the 'cutting out' (in this case the lug) to ensure that it will render correctly either way.

.. Just as you suggested. Thanks for the tip!

AVF Regular
    .. I'm not sure which 3D app you are using ...
    OpenSCAD. It's free but not widely used, as it is based on a scripting language.

The scripting language is why I adore it. It allows constants and modules to be defined in in one script and imported where and when needed. The scripting language is particularly well suited to those who have (/ are cursed with?) a "programmer's mind".

AVF Regular
    I am convincing myself I need a 3D printer. My experience in printing is almost non-existent (I typically get Shapeways to print models - but having a local printer for proof of concept & tweaking designs would be very beneficial), so I'm open to suggestions as to what I actually need & what will work best. Having said that, I've done some basic research and come up with the following (tentative) set of requirements for the printer..

• Build size cap > 100x100x150 mm
    • Universal (non-proprietary) Cartridge Compatible
    • Supports ABS & PLA
    • Can work with STL files
    • Can be non standalone - will be hooked up to PC running Windows 10
    • Nozzle size 0.4 mm or less
    • Comes with good software
    • Max price $600

Would appreciate hearing from those with experience with 3D printing on the requirements list and any models that might fit them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaporific View Post
    I am convincing myself I need a 3D printer. My experience in printing is almost non-existent (I typically get Shapeways to print models - but having a local printer for proof of concept & tweaking designs would be very beneficial), so I'm open to suggestions as to what I actually need & what will work best. Having said that, I've done some basic research and come up with the following (tentative) set of requirements for the printer..

• Build size cap > 100x100x150 mm
    • Universal (non-proprietary) Cartridge Compatible
    • Supports ABS & PLA
    • Can work with STL files
    • Can be non standalone - will be hooked up to PC running Windows 10
    • Nozzle size 0.4 mm or less
    • Comes with good software
    • Max price $600

Would appreciate hearing from those with experience with 3D printing on the requirements list and any models that might fit them.
    You should certainly be able to get something pretty good for those $$

What I'd suggest though, is that you go and find one or more 3D printing forums and go and hang out there for a while. They are to 3D printing what we are to vaping.

You want a wide range of advice that can give you different ideas on the best approach to this.
    https://www.google.com.au/search?&hs...printer+forums

I've been reading a bit with more of a view to the budget side of things, and one thing that has become apparent that it's possible to spend a lot less, but get something high resolution but which may need a few tweaks such as bearings or sensors.
    Vaporific likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Take a look at the Anycubic Mega i3 - around USD$400... Getting great reviews... Standard components.. including E3d v6 hot end. From Gear best... Free shipping.

I have the Aldi Cocoon Create... Wish I'd held out for the Anycubic after seeing reviews....

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk
    Vaporific and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    With any luck I'll be able to order an Anycubic I3 MEGA at 12:01 am Monday.

In the meantime, I've been working on a few new designs. Currently looking at stackable racks for e-liquid and flavour bottles that will accommodate 10 ml & 30 ml bottles in separate layers. Given the constraint of allowing both 10 & 30 ml layers, there will likely be spare space across the width. Since there will be spare width, I thought it'd make sense to stagger alternate rows to allow more rows per depth. Here is a visualisation of what I mean, but without the base and 'stack posts' etc.

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast