Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By nikolous
  • 1 Post By Schtoo
  • 1 Post By Cams
  • 1 Post By fabricator4
  • 1 Post By fabricator4

Thread: Second build on Limitless Plus spitting?

AVF Regular

Second build on Limitless Plus spitting?

Hey guys

So this build is again using 24 gauge kanthal, internal diameter is 3mm (my first build I thought was 3 but turns out it was 3.5 - VaporTech coil winder sizes aren't marked) and I've built that as 5 spaced wraps.

Coil initially read at .28 ohms and has dropped to .27 overnight. Great flavour, great clouds - but this one is spitting, where my first build just popped. After consulting Google, I put a wide bore delrin drip tip on it, which helped a little bit not much. Closed the airflow almost entirely, which helped but didn't fix it (and resulted in too tight a draw for my liking).

I'm guessing that I've simply over-saturated the wick, so I have been trying to vape off the excess juice hoping this will resolve it. It has improved (reservoir is all but empty) but still sizzles. Is this a build issue or a wicking issue? Or possibly a juice issue, as I've been using an old juice (no more than 12 months old)?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVF Regular
    I'll direct you to this thread where fab gives a good explanation of why you may be experiencing spitting.

I tend to find you get more spitting with spaced builds.. but that's just me. Over saturation can also definitely cause it from my experience.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Whisp View Post
    I'll direct you to this thread where fab gives a good explanation of why you may be experiencing spitting.

I tend to find you get more spitting with spaced builds.. but that's just me. Over saturation can also definitely cause it from my experience.
    That link is invalid, but I will do a search for that thread, thanks man

AVF Regular
    From my experience, spitting and popping is caused by a longer ramp up, or lack of heat. My thought process behind this is that the amount of heat initially being applied is boiling the juice rather than being hot enough to vapourise it if that makes sense
    Vapewave likes this.
    Current Mods
    • Triade DNA200
    • Therion DNA75
    • Broadside
    • Noisy Cricket V2
    • Punto Zero
    • Kimech
    • USV-L

Current Attys
    • Monster V3
    • Squape X
    • Kayfun V5
    • Reload RTA
    • Goon
    • Goon v1.5
    • In'sane
    • Hadaly
    • Tricktank Pro
    • Tokugawa
    • CSMNT
    • BMI Nova
    • Icon
    • Pulse 22
    • Narda
    • Flave 24
    • HAKU!!!

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolous View Post
    From my experience, spitting and popping is caused by a longer ramp up, or lack of heat. My thought process behind this is that the amount of heat initially being applied is boiling the juice rather than being hot enough to vapourise it if that makes sense
    What he said.

I think of it as like the difference between a frypan that's 'hot' where the water sizzles away but is stuck in place and a frypan that's 'really hot' where the water dances across it. I guess (but don't know) that when the coils aren't quite hot enough, the liquid sticks to them, the liquid against the coil is changing to steam but is covered with cooler liquid, and that steam needs to get out so pops and takes some of that still liquid juice with it. If the coils are hot enough, the liquid is suspended away from the coils by a barrier of steam (Leidenfrost effect), the steam never restricted and comes off the coils without trouble.

Airflow across the coils seems to help as well, maybe when you're at the lower limit of where popping stops the flow of air breaks up the liquid layer?

No science in that at all, but it seems to me to be how it is. Right now my Avocado is at that limit. Drop it 5C and it pops and spits. Don't draw on it, pops and spits. Hit it (I've got it set to run higher power to start) and draw on it, enough vapor to chew on.

Stu.
    Vapewave likes this.

AVF Regular
    I'm not a huge builder of kanthal these days and not in drippers. However, to me it looks like there isn't much cotton in there, whether adding more will remove the issue I'm not sure, but something to try. When it is dry the cotton should have some resistance when it is pulled through the coil.
    Vapewave likes this.
    Last cigarette, 11:00 AM 11th March 2015.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapewave View Post
    That link is invalid, but I will do a search for that thread, thanks man
    The link appears to be working, so try loading it again.

I notice some uneven burning on your cotton, which seems to be indicating hotspots on the sides of the coil closest to the posts, and on one coil more than the other. Your problem could be one of uneven heating rather than anything else. There's also uneven backwashing of the burnt colour on one end of the wicks but not the other - another indication.

To answer your question about the age of the liquid, I don't think that is a factor. It is true that different juices can be more problematic than others, even at the same ratio of PG/VG. I really don't know why that is except maybe some flavours use other solvents than PG (water, alcohol) and there may be something happening with the flavours themselves. You will be able to test it once you get it running right - swapping juices around on the same device can quickly show if there's differences in how they vaporise.

ETA: one reason for the uneven heating could be airflow - not enough for the wattage used or not directed at the coils properly. Look closely at how that is working.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 07-03-17 at 01:55 AM.
    Vapewave likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Fab, I am trying to iron out these issues (wicking, hot spots etc) with mixed success.

Airflow is fully open and placed in line with the coils. I think you're right about the coils heating unevenly, any advice on how to remedy this?

Would I be better off building micros perhaps? Are they less complicated?

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapewave View Post
    Thanks Fab, I am trying to iron out these issues (wicking, hot spots etc) with mixed success.

Airflow is fully open and placed in line with the coils. I think you're right about the coils heating unevenly, any advice on how to remedy this?

Would I be better off building micros perhaps? Are they less complicated?
    Micro coils are contact coils, so would be more likely to have hotspot issues. You never know though, everyone's experience is different.

If airflow and watts are OK the only other obvious thing might be not enough cotton as already mentioned, even though it looks OK to me. There should be enough cotton that it's pretty hard to pull through the coil, almost feels like you are going to wreck the coil. You have to really roll up the end of the cotton hard to get it started, even put a drop of juice on the end and then roll it up.

You should be able to pull those wicks out of the coils, rinse and dry burn the coils. Make sure they are both glowing the same, from the centre. After dry burning you will probably have to reinsert the coiling tool and straighten out the coils again. That will help with even heating. Re-wick and try again.

The only other comment I'd make is that 5 wraps is a pretty small coil on such a big deck. With longer coils you would be able have shorter leg lengths. I'm not saying that is your problem here, just an observation. It doesn't look like the legs are glowing or anything nasty like that (hot legs are more something that plagues Genny builders).
    Last edited by fabricator4; 07-03-17 at 11:41 AM.
    Vapewave likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.