Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Rebuilding non rebuildables?

AVF Regular

Rebuilding non rebuildables?

Is it possible to rebuild "non rebuildable" coils llike the smok and kangertech ones?
    Rockmoose reminded me of this, anyone tried it?

I just like messing around with this stuff!
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Is it possible to rebuild "non rebuildable" coils llike the smok and kangertech ones?
    Rockmoose reminded me of this, anyone tried it?
    Mostly what I used to build back in the day, was factory heads. Pretty well all of them came apart and went back together. Currently I rebuild IC heads for the iCare because I can make one that vapes better than the factory effort. I just built a slightly different coil and am testing it at the moment actually.

Some of the new stuff is heavier gauge and is machine press fit; almost impossible to get apart without destroying it and I think that includes the Kanger OCC coils. Google it and if it's possible you will probably find some instructional video on how to do it. A lot of vapers are tinkerers.

ETA: Oh yeah, a 2mm coil in the IC is the go. I think it was GT that suggested it? Looser draw and smoother...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-03-17 at 02:15 PM.
    gtadmin, MrGruffy and Sully like this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    2mm inner?
    what gauge?
    Kanthal A1 I presume.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Mostly what I used to build back in the day, was factory heads. Pretty well all of them came apart and went back together. Currently I rebuild IC heads for the iCare because I can make one that vapes better than the factory effort. I just built a slightly different coil and am testing it at the moment actually.

Some of the new stuff is heavier gauge and is machine press fit; almost impossible to get apart without destroying it and I think that includes the Kanger OCC coils. Google it and if it's possible you will probably find some instructional video on how to do it. A lot of vapers are tinkerers.

ETA: Oh yeah, a 2mm coil in the IC is the go. I think it was GT that suggested it? Looser draw and smoother...

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    2mm inner?
    what gauge?
    Kanthal A1 I presume.
    Yes, 28g Kanthal, five wraps, slightly spaced, on a 2mm post. It's slightly higher resistance than the factory 1.1 ohms but the vapour production seems to be better.

The original is 9 wraps of what I think is 28g Nichrome A on 1.5mm. Because the air doesn't actually flow through the coil, I think the long coil is problematic. My feeling is that you are better off with a shorter higher coil, putting most of the wire where the airflow actually is.

Making it 2mm instead of the tiny 1.5mm seems to be the last part of the puzzle. I think the flavour is better too, but I'm waiting on this one breaking in.

I did some photos of the build process weeks ago but never posted them. I can dig them up if you'd like...

ETA: leg length is long - 14mm total. Steam engine said close to 6 wraps but it came out higher than 1.5 ohms and the iCare wouldn't fire it, so 5 wraps it is. I expect to get slightly better battery life out of this coil because it's still around 1.3 ohms I think.
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-03-17 at 02:30 PM.
    MrGruffy and Sully like this.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fab4
    ... I did some photos of the build process weeks ago but never posted them
    Please add here

Eleaf ICare mini
    Last edited by gtadmin; 06-03-17 at 02:44 PM.
    Ignore the Super-moderator tag in my profile, I have resigned from that position but admin have not updated my profile as yet

AVF Regular
    is there a different kind of cotton for this, the stuff Im using (I forget its name) looks like one finger width thick 30cms dreadlock, but Ive seen other stuff that looks like a cotton pad for makeup removal?
    One failed lab experiment away from obtaining superpowers

https://media.tenor.co/images/860c5d...011a/tenor.gif

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    is there a different kind of cotton for this, the stuff Im using (I forget its name) looks like one finger width thick 30cms dreadlock, but Ive seen other stuff that looks like a cotton pad for makeup removal?
    The rope stuff is fine for any sort of pull-through wick. I use mostly pads of stuff, which means I have to roll it into the right shape. With the iCare though it's a bit different. It works best as narrow sheet wrapped around the coil, and I separate the sheet into two to get a thinner sheet and more wraps.

So... Really depends on what you are doing and what shape the wick is. The sheet is great for wrapping vertical coils.

GT: OK I guess I have no choice but to update my iCare thread at this point LOL.

Mr G: I find the factory coils gurgly because they don't wrap enough sheet. My coils don't go gurgly overnight...
    Last edited by fabricator4; 06-03-17 at 03:04 PM.
    gtadmin and MrGruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    Thanks Fab4, coils are my biggest expense these days, and the icare is my only real new purchase for decades. I have a newbie vaper using/losing it and it's stupidly satisfying for a 0mah suck n go device.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGruffy View Post
    Thanks Fab4, coils are my biggest expense these days, and the icare is my only real new purchase for decades. I have a newbie vaper using/losing it and it's stupidly satisfying for a 0mah suck n go device.

Yep, it is crazy good with some 24mg/ml in it, but you need to remember not to put it down in some stupid place where it will take you a day to find it again LOL. Gets lost in my pocket sometimes.
    gtadmin and MrGruffy like this.

AVF Regular
    I also rebuild the aspire BVC both non nautilus and nautilus factory coils.

I use prewound coils from fasttech for a horizontal coil and then rayon (cellucotton) wicks. Each coil lasts ages with my non gunking eliquid.

I forgot the cubis factory coils as well. I followed GT's method for modding and they are 1000x better than the cubis RBA heads for horizontal coils.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast