Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Evolv DNA75 Colour!

AVF Regular

Evolv DNA75 Colour!

Coming soon to a mod near you...... .

https://youtu.be/NyhKVIOVb6Y

AVF Regular
    Very cool. Mac user here and would never have both here'd with a DNA board before.
    laurie9300 and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by muscovyduckling View Post
    Very cool. Mac user here and would never have both here'd with a DNA board before.
    I use chrome OS since my laptop carked it. Luckily mechs don't have firmware (tends to be 6 weeks shipping there and back for retrofit parts instead)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    "Vapers- The evangelical vegans of the smoking community"
    Quote Originally Posted by btobw View Post
    1 vote for DogMan because squonkers, dogs, chooks and brevity

AVF Regular
    Sydney (or lurking in the shadows behind you)
    And now we have;
    Not one
    1. A PBusardo Video - Brandon From Evolv Introduces the DNA-75C - Part 1
    but two
    2. A PBusardo Video - Brandon From Evolv Introduces the DNA-75C - Part 2
    Full Busardo's, (with bonus Brandon's).

(Oh the Megabytes)
    Last edited by Snidely_Whiplash; 17-04-17 at 03:56 AM.

I Do Whatever I Want,
    Whenever I Want,
    And If It Doesn't Suit You,
    Go Start Your Own Empire

Anything I write on this Forum is purely my opinion and should never be read as fact!
    (or I could just be wrong)
    Please read the Forum rules
    (or wait for Johnny Depp to do the movie)
    Small reminder
    It's all about the cigartte ... Stupid

AVF Regular
    Software (the theme making stuff) for the new 75c should be up publicly in the next few days. Just something I heard . Stalk Evolv's website and ye shall be rewarded. Probably.

This is honestly the first vapey thing since the DNA 200 that's actually gotten me excited about vapey things again. Kudos to Evolv.

Also : Hail, my fellow non-Windows people!

I run Escribe in a VM, and it ran great after I got the configuration in Virtualbox right. The key was giving the VM the right amount of cores and disabling any hardware you don't need (like sound in the VM), or else the USB transfer rate is going to be glacially slow (I... don't know why. I think it's a Virtualbox specific thing actually - some bug that makes USB crazy slow something-something amount of cores allocated to the VM something-something mumble-mumble MAGIC BUGFIX AFTER A BOTTLE OF VODKA ).

For me and my ancient core i7 960 (yeah, I cheaped out on CPU when I built this thing back in '10 - most distros are package managed now anyway and I can't remember the last time I had to compile anything huge or significant from source so meh) my VM runs best with two cores. It runs just fine using those free (as in gratis) Windows "appliances" Microsoft distribute for testing IE versions (the Win XP IE6 test is adequate for the current version of Escribe - though I can't speak for the upcoming themey 75c software as I don't have it yet).

Settings transfers to a device take around 5 seconds (not too shabby!), device manager (all the pretty graphs) runs well, though does occasionally drop out for a second every now and then. It's not a huge deal though.

So yeah, my point is that you shouldn't let "not being a Windows user" put you off getting a DNA device, so long as there is some sort of virtualization option for your OS (I don't know squat about mobile OSes, but I'm a dirty Linux hippie and it's all good, and I assume Mac OSX users have some VM options too, but I don't have anything running OSX as I didn't really gel with it - I have a mid-2010 Air for a Laptop I bought 'cause it was the only thing around back then that was crazy thin and had a 7hr battery life and SSD hdd, but it runs Debian too ).
    Last edited by Fractal; 02-05-17 at 01:22 AM.
    laurie9300 and Cat like this.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Fractal View Post
    Also : Hail, my fellow non-Windows people!
    Hail!

You might already know this stuff, but it was a bit hard to tell:

The open licence VirtualBox available from the package managers is limited to USB 1.1. To get USB 2.0 you need to use the PUEL (Personal Use Evaluation Licence) which you can only get from the Oracle site. You then need to install the extension pack to that to enable USB 2.0. For secure OS's like Linux you then need to add USB access to the VBOXUSERS group. Not completely necessary but very handy is if you make a rule for the USB coms device (ie chip in the mod) it will connect through to the Virtual Machine automatically each time.

I'm running an AMD A8 I put together on the cheap (like $400) a couple of years ago. It runs just fine without disabling anything, but runs great on two cores. Memory might have more to do with it than CPU and cores. If you are booting a 64 bit Windoze in the VM, 4MB might be the minimum. Linux is booting off, and the VM is running off a small SSD, so the performance is actually very good.
    laurie9300 likes this.
    Chris: Tobacco free since 17:00 15th March 2013.

AVF Regular
    mods be needing to move this thread to the OSGeekathon section.
    Stomp, LimeB and rockmoose like this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by fabricator4 View Post
    Hail!

You might already know this stuff, but it was a bit hard to tell:

The open licence VirtualBox available from the package managers is limited to USB 1.1. To get USB 2.0 you need to use the PUEL (Personal Use Evaluation Licence) which you can only get from the Oracle site. You then need to install the extension pack to that to enable USB 2.0. For secure OS's like Linux you then need to add USB access to the VBOXUSERS group. Not completely necessary but very handy is if you make a rule for the USB coms device (ie chip in the mod) it will connect through to the Virtual Machine automatically each time.

I'm running an AMD A8 I put together on the cheap (like $400) a couple of years ago. It runs just fine without disabling anything, but runs great on two cores. Memory might have more to do with it than CPU and cores. If you are booting a 64 bit Windoze in the VM, 4MB might be the minimum. Linux is booting off, and the VM is running off a small SSD, so the performance is actually very good.

Yeah, I was drunkposting

I had past problems with USB being slow out of the box, but they're now fixed. USB 2 (enabling EHCI, extention pack, etc), throwing more ram at it, all the normal stuffs actually didn't fix the issue - it wasn't until I gave the Windows guest more than one core that USB transfers started happening at sane speed. It's a bit non-obvious (to me, anyway) that it needed two cores 'cause it wasn't even maxing out the one!

So yeah, that's why I'm mentioning it in case anyone else runs into the same issue. I probably didn't need to disable sound in the VM, but meh... fewer things enabled, fewer things to cause problems. Did it during troubleshooting the USB transfer speed issues and never bothered reenabling it.
    These things.

I have some things.
    I vape them.

Super Moderator
    Yesssss.... but will it stream Netflix?
    EPM V2-18490 (X2 ),GP Spheroid V2.5 and GP Piccolo V2.5 ,BBCB, Provari mini's, REO mini V2.1, 18490 REO , Jazz Carto Pipes ( fitted with GA tank and churchwarden stem Totally Evil!!! ), Meerschaum pipe ,e-holly35W,Phideas, AIOS,Taifun atties, PC Pipe mods.PC Squonker, Svapiamo squonker, GP Paps Heron combo.

Vaping since 2007 totally smoke free since 2011

AVF Rules , Read and understand them

AVF Regular
    Escribe 2.0 for the 75C is up on the DNA forum.
    https://evolvapor.forumchitchat.com/...pid=1295586163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast