Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree2306Likes

Thread: HCigar VT Inbox - Panels

AVF Regular

HCigar VT Inbox - Panels

The other day we were discussing making panels for the VT Inbox and I thought it would be a neat project to play with. I will use this thread to document how it all goes and maybe inspire you to try yourselves. LOL

Lynne sent me some pics and a set of the "Leather" which I got today. We have not decided on what type of finish they will have or the design. The only thing we are sure of is that they will be POIPLE, POIPLE with a highlight of POIPLE.

These are the panels we are talking about. You can see that the leatherish ones are a layer of PU leather stuck to a metal base.

There is a small lip that runs around the outer edge which will be good to retain resin if we go that way
    Fatman, DogMan, AllyP and 2 others like this.
    Colouring My World with Elegance
    Started Vaping 13th October, 2011

AVF Regular
    Prep.

Strip leatherish materials off. I am sure I have said this before but the adhesive that Chinese Manufacturers use is diabolical, So don't wear your sunday best. I use turps and I am careful not to scratch the lip. I noticed that the magnets appear to be press fit through the panel and if you wanted to change the magnets to a stronger set..... then now would be the time to do it. You would need the same thinness but a larger diameter which would entail drilling out the existing magnets and making the magnet holes bigger. Not sure that it is worth the trouble but if door movement bothers you then go for it.

Never use heat or hot water on this glue. It turns to goo. Its almost easier if you put the metal in the fridge for a bit to cool down.

Last edited by Crisscross; 20-04-17 at 05:43 PM.
    Fatman, 1ynne and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    This will be exciting. I have the faux leather, black carbon fibre, and 'mallee tie dye' panels for my inboxes. You just might inspire me to get some extra play panels, to match all my personalities.
    Crisscross, Fatman and 1ynne like this.
    Rabid non-smoker since 1630hrs 25/11/2016.

Pebble fondler, living life beyond the vertical.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    This will be exciting. I have the faux leather, black carbon fibre, and 'mallee tie dye' panels for my inboxes. You just might inspire me to get some extra play panels, to match all my personalities.
    The Faux leather is the same thickness as upolstry leather so you could easily swap it to real leather.

I am not sure about the tie dye ones. They dont look like stick ons from what I can see in the pics.
    MrGruffy and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    I was thinking more along the lines of FTing a few spare sets of faux leather panels to modify. I hadn't actually thought of swapping out the faux for real leather, but that maybe on the cards as well now.
    1ynne likes this.

AVF Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rockmoose View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of FTing a few spare sets of faux leather panels to modify. I hadn't actually thought of swapping out the faux for real leather, but that maybe on the cards as well now.
    Thats what I have done. The oval is the same size as the jewellery making oval bezels so to get a clean hole you can get a punch in the papercraft section of art or craft stores.

Pouring resin that domes will work very well in this channel and will cement the magnets in.
    MrGruffy, 1ynne and Cat like this.

AVF Regular
    just high lighting difference in the sets of panels - mr Moose, sir, could you please do me a flavour ?

my VT Inbox is travelling around Victoria on loan to a QLD grey nomad - the colourful panels and the black carbon fibre - do they look different from the Leather set.. the leather set, around the oval cut out shows the ledges... do the others look like they are smoother and covered in a total resin coating ???
    Cat likes this.

What is a cat's favourite colour? Purrrrrrrple !

AVF Regular
    They are all built on the same frame, but the resin sets bulge up from the lip. I definitely wouldn't want to try pulling down any but the faux leather.

tapatalk for photo upload 👍
    tapatalk for general usage 👎
    Crisscross and 1ynne like this.

AVF Regular
    Today was all about making the templates and seeing which substrate to use.

The lip on the frame can be used to make an embossed image and gives you a set of cutting lines

Next step was to look at either using a base for paint or resin or pouring resin directly into the metal bases. Because I only have one set of panels to play with I started with the yupo paper substrate and do the flow paint or resin art on that.

The purple center is resin art using coloured resin and pearl mica powder for shimmer. It is not cut to size..... I was just seeing how thin I could get a resin painting and what quantities I would need.

The blank black ones are to see which priming layer works best. Acrylic ink or Acrylic paint

giruvian, gtadmin, Fatman and 6 others like this.

AVF Regular
    Wow XX you really know what you're doing. Just a question, is resin to brittle to use as direct panels or do you need to pour it on a panel for strength? Could you use dental silicon to make moulds of the panels you have then pour the resin into it the silicon moulds? Just asking as I'm no expert and was just wondering.
    Crisscross likes this.

Page 1 of 72 1231151 ... LastLast